What's new

Well my collection just doubled...

Being that I'm a Marine, i help to facilitate a local group for mothers with sons that are deployed. Being both prior enlisted and ending my career as an Officer of Marines, I can an accurate portrayal of what their sons, grandsons etc. are experiencing on a daily basis, what's going through their minds, and the best care packages to send to their Marines. (Come on who hasn't received a Gummy Blob because someone thought you might enjoy some gummy bears in 100+ degree weather?)

I was discussing the other day randomly after the meeting about my DE shaving, and asked one of the older ladies there is she knew of any antique stores that carried them. I've been wet shaving for probably 8-10 years now and only own a 38C (previously had a 34) a Vision and a 72 black handle SS I picked up on ebay just last week on a whim. She said she didn't but she'd be looking out for me. Well two nights ago at a meeting she brings me in a bag of Older Gillete Adjustables. Two were here father's and one a former fiancé. Inside were 3 razors (unknown to me what they were off the top of my head so I came here and checked it out)

The contents of the bag? A 1962 Slim Adjustable (H.2) and TWO Black Handle Super Adjustables one a 76(W.1) and one a plastic bottom 77(X.1) The kindness of this lady surprised me greatly but said they may as well go to someone that will use them, and it was her way of thanking me for my service and continued involvement with the Moms and Grandmothers.

Pics will come later in the evening. I've got to run but this is the first chance I've had to post about this event and had to share it.

Being that I'm a Marine, i help to facilitate a local group for mothers with sons that are deployed. Being both prior enlisted and ending my career as an Officer of Marines, I can an accurate portrayal of what their sons, grandsons etc. are experiencing on a daily basis, what's going through their minds, and the best care packages to send to their Marines. (Come on who hasn't received a Gummy Blob because someone thought you might enjoy some gummy bears in 100+ degree weather?)

I was discussing the other day randomly after the meeting about my DE shaving, and asked one of the older ladies there is she knew of any antique stores that carried them. I've been wet shaving for probably 8-10 years now and only own a 38C (previously had a 34) a Vision and a 72 black handle SS I picked up on ebay just last week on a whim. She said she didn't but she'd be looking out for me. Well two nights ago at a meeting she brings me in a bag of Older Gillete Adjustables. Two were here father's and one a former fiancé. Inside were 3 razors (unknown to me what they were off the top of my head so I came here and checked it out)

The contents of the bag? A 1962 Slim Adjustable (H.2) and TWO Black Handle Super Adjustables one a 76(W.1) and one a plastic bottom 77(X.1) The kindness of this lady surprised me greatly but said they may as well go to someone that will use them, and it was her way of thanking me for my service and continued involvement with the Moms and Grandmothers.

Pics will come later in the evening. I've got to run but this is the first chance I've had to post about this event and had to share it.

Very nice, those were waiting just for you! :thumbup1:

Sorry Gentleman its been a rough few days. I am back however, and as promised here are some pics of the above mentioned items. In order L-->R

full

full

full

full

And finally, they're all older and previously with my 2 Merkurs I had no need for a storage box of any type, and cases just seemed silly to me when I'm actually going to be shaving with these so I built this.
full

I believe the slim adjustable has some issue with the adjustment mechanism. if someone can help me fix it (if possible) I'll do either a PIF or possible contribute to this thread; http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168749&page=7 As it seems there are a lot of gents that haven't used the Super Adjustable

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider that your material reward. You've earned it. Still doesn't compare to the feelings of helping, though. Right?

...I believe the slim adjustable has some issue with the adjustment mechanism. if someone can help me fix it...

Without more details, the most likely issue is some built up soap or creme inside teh TTO mechanism. The most likely fix is a soak in some warm water or water/vinegar solution for a few hours and then gently work the mechanism to see if that's loosening the dried soap/creme.

Additionally, standing the razor on it's head in a narrow walled cup and dropping a few drops of clipper oil or mineral oil into the bottom of the handle. Let that sit overnight so the oil will drip down into the interior of the handle where the TTO mechanism works.

Keep us posted on how well this fix works.

SB - you're doing great work. I'm sure that the Mom's find it invaluable. Glad that you were able to score such great razors as a small bonus.

Depending upon what's wrong with the slim, this thread might be able to help you fix it. If the adjustment is stuck in addition to the last quarter turn, you might need to soak the whole thing rather than just the tip end. If it adjusts but doesn't click, then the spring is likely busted. that's difficult to fix, requiring disassembly, and a spring from a donor razor. There are threads for that too, but probably not worth the trouble for a slim.

If the guard is bent resulting in uneven blade gap, that's also not too hard to fix. there are numerous threads detailing how to fix that, and I've successfully done it, so I can help you.

Nice additions. It is always nice to be appreciated unexpectedly.

Can we get a mod in here to give this Marine a veteran tag please? He obviosly deserves it.

On a side note, that box I made was more of a proof of concept than a finished product. I enjoy using hand tools, and simply wanted to see if I could get it right before i went on to something more expensive. All in all I think I've got 6$ and some time into it. It was made with nothing more than a Japanese pull saw, wood chisels and a bit of time. Just something to store them for now before I order up some Mahogany.

Depending upon what's wrong with the slim, this thread might be able to help you fix it. If the adjustment is stuck in addition to the last quarter turn, you might need to soak the whole thing rather than just the tip end. If it adjusts but doesn't click, then the spring is likely busted. that's difficult to fix, requiring disassembly, and a spring from a donor razor. There are threads for that too, but probably not worth the trouble for a slim.

If the guard is bent resulting in uneven blade gap, that's also not too hard to fix. there are numerous threads detailing how to fix that, and I've successfully done it, so I can help you.

It clicks, the doors don't open quite as far as I'd expect. I'll try the vinegar, mineral oil, maybe even a little CLP to see if it helps.

Got the TTO working nice and smooth now. Soaked in some water/vinegar and that helped but still wasn't quite there. Saw some goo gone lying around and dropped some inside. I let it sit for a bit and then worked the TTO. Washed it out soaked in in some more hot water dried it out and then added a little CLP down the shaft. It works silky smooth now.

My new problem is that is appears as though the guards aren't parallel? It doesn't appear to look like a slant, but more so when viewed from the top one side runs straight and the other appears to flair out. I've searched multiple threads but I only saw posts about how to raise the guard.

Top Bottom