What's new

Dovo box change?

Does anyone know when dove changed from standard cardboard coffins for their razors, to the shiny blue "glasses case" style?

I only see the blue cases on the higher end more expensive Dovos. The Best Quality ones come in a black plastic coffin.

TBH though I can't answer the question at hand.

Innnnterestijng. I ask because i recently picked up a new 6/8 pearlex in a cardboard coffin, but am curious about if it might be an older one

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I like the blue metal boxes, but the supplied foam is pretty cheap. The box should look better than the cardboard coffin after 100 years, but the foam will surely disintegrate.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
As mentioned above, I have a Dovo Astrale in a cardboard box. On the back of the blade is says Geo. Trumpers Est. 1875. It came in a cardboard box. I really liked the razor, so I purchased another from Superior shave. It came in the metal tin.

There were minor differences in the blades. Although they looked to have the same grind, the gold wash was slightly different. The old has cardboard box, engraved tang, and gold wash inside blade label. The new is in a metal tin, laser printed tang, and no gold wash inside blade label.

Last week I sent an email to Trumpers asking when they sold Dovo Astrale. I received an email yesterday indicating the Astrales were sold from the late 80' to the early 90's. While not definitive, it indicates that the metal tins came out after early 90's.

2010s Dovo Astrale
proxy.php

1980s Dovo Astrale
proxy.php

While the new Dovo was a fine razor, the older Dovo shaved, IMO, considerably better. I eventually sold the new one.

I have bought a few Dovo razors and the only one that had the blue tin was a used Best Quality. The rest came in a black or blue coffin box.

Interesting. I purchased a Best Quality and it came in the black coffin, the Dovo Ebony I received was in the metal tin.

Top Bottom