What's new

Sunblock

I am in need for a good sunblock. Im outside or in a car most of the day. Looking for something that I can add to my shaving routine. After I moisturize my face.

I would advise you to use mineral sunblock (zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide), because it blocks the sun much more effectively.

Check this site out for some good information.

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

Based on the information from this site I used Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, Unscented, SPF 30 last summer and found it very effective for my outdoor activities. There are others that rate very good and will probably be better suited as a moisturizer type sunscreen to follow-up after shaving.

The best advice is to educate yourself then read and understand the labels.

But beware of mineral sunscreens like Badger, they can leave a white film on the skin that does not go way by rubbing.

the main important point is that you'll want to get a sunscreen that filters both UVA and UVB rays. Amazingly, not all of them do. Filtering the UVB rays prevents sunburn but it does not prevent the aging effects of sun exposure, nor does it prevent skin cancers.

Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone (NOT oxybenzone), and Mexoryl are the only reliable UVA blockers. Therefore, if a sunscreen product does not contain at least one of these, it should be avoided. Zinc and titanium are mineral blockers and the other are chemical. All block UVA rays very well.

Avobenzone is not photostable, so over time its ability to block UVA rays diminishes. There are two products available in the U.S. that have proprietary ways of making it last longer. They are Avotriplex and Helioplex; these are offered by Banana Boat and Neutrogena, respectively. The Banana Boat product is considerably less expensive.

If you want Mexoryl, which is a superior and much more photostable UVA blocker, you can find it mostly in Canadian or French products. Ombrelle, L'Oreal, and another manufacturer whose name is eluding me right now.

I hope this is helpful.

the main important point is that you'll want to get a sunscreen that filters both UVA and UVB rays. Amazingly, not all of them do. Filtering the UVB rays prevents sunburn but it does not prevent the aging effects of sun exposure, nor does it prevent skin cancers.

Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone (NOT oxybenzone), and Mexoryl are the only reliable UVA blockers. Therefore, if a sunscreen product does not contain at least one of these, it should be avoided. Zinc and titanium are mineral blockers and the other are chemical. All block UVA rays very well.

Avobenzone is not photostable, so over time its ability to block UVA rays diminishes. There are two products available in the U.S. that have proprietary ways of making it last longer. They are Avotriplex and Helioplex; these are offered by Banana Boat and Neutrogena, respectively. The Banana Boat product is considerably less expensive.

If you want Mexoryl, which is a superior and much more photostable UVA blocker, you can find it mostly in Canadian or French products. Ombrelle, L'Oreal, and another manufacturer whose name is eluding me right now.

I hope this is helpful.

Great post. Are you thinking of Anthelios by La Roche-Posay for the Mexoryl product? I've heard it is great. I'd love to use it myself, but every sun product I've tried containing Avobenzone has made me break out.

Great post. Are you thinking of Anthelios by La Roche-Posay for the Mexoryl product? I've heard it is great. I'd love to use it myself, but every sun product I've tried containing Avobenzone has made me break out.

Yes. That is exactly the one I was trying to remember. Thanks.

I use the Neutrogena Helioplex products when exposed for a long period of time (several hours over a period of days) - a lot of it in a car.

I use the Age Shield Face with SPF 70 for face, hands, neck, and ears.

For arms, back, chest, and legs, I use the Ultimate Sport spray with SPF70.

Both did a very good job. Usually I reapplied once or twice a day depending on how long I was out.

i am alergic to sunblock so i never use it :( BUT i ahve used nutrogina (right spelling?) face cream and it also comes in spf15 and it works well for me, laurel i believe also makes one similar and its pretty good. I can only user spf70+ sunblocks and even they can cause me problems, the onlyone that has worked for me is the neutrogina one again spf70 and its pretty good! The spray stuff works well on arms and such but not for face and they do leave ur hands feeling extremely oily.

I use Shisheido... blocks UVA and UVB. Doesn't shine. Smells nice but not too strong, and not at all like the typical sunscreen smell.

I've never gotten a sunburn from being in a car. I have gotten a tan on my left arm from hanging it out the window! I heard somewhere in my life that the glass blocks/filters some part of the spectrum. I just don't know enough to say whether some damaging parts of the spectrum are getting through or not. Maybe someone here knows.

I go (wildly) back and forth on the sunscreen issue and I find myself more and more depending on clothes and hats. I understand that dark clothes are actually more effective. I try to check this out daily especially in the spring and summer. http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html

I thought I had something I could wear every day in Eurcerin Everyday Protection 30. It's mineral based but I found that it was not appropriate for the office (made me look like Casper the Ghost).

A lot of the higher SPF's do contain oxybenzone. The jury is still out on this ingredient. I have read that if you use it, they are not kidding when they say "reapply". If you don't reapply during the day it may have the potential of a reverse effect causing more damage to the skin. Frankly, I can't find any clear science at this time on oxybenzone.

Strangely, AV Musk contains a sunscreen ingredient approved by EU and Japan: Diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate. AV Musk is rather "loud" smelling for the office though. I think it only offers UVA protection and AV Musk has NO SPF rating, so obviously it's not sold as a sunscreen. But anyway, I thought I'd throw that out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylamino_hydroxybenzoyl_hexyl_benzoate

Mark me down as rather "confused" on the whole issue of sunscreen and I hope better products continue to come on the market that don't make me look shiny or like Casper the ghost since I spend more time in and out of an office than I do at the beach and that are safe. It's no wonder consumers are confused.

Last edited:
Blue Lizard. Great stuff. Discovered it on a beach day in Michigan when everything was making my oldest sun breakout in a rash. Been using it since on all of us.

Top Bottom