What's new

TOBS Mr Taylor vs T&H 1805 vs T&H Trafalgar

Hello again guys.

Which one of these three creams smells more like "youth". I had a puck of Tabac, really nice soap, very high quality, but to me it smell very much like a grandpa's cologne!

I'm 22 years old

I'm looking to try either TOBS Mr Taylor or T&H 1805 or T&H Trafalgar.

Which one would you recommend for such a young guy?

Thanks

I'm 25. The only one of those I have used the TOBS Mr. Taylor. It is my favorite scent of all the soaps/creams I have. With that being said, it is an old man scent in my opinion.

Never tried the TOBS, but of the two T&H scents, neither is really what I would call "youthful". I do like them both, but they both sorta say "old". Not "grampa" old, but just "distinguished" old - especially 1805. I'd recommend getting a sampler. T&H sells this one: http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_10106__37.html
for under 20 bucks shipped, so you can try them all out.

I've used all three, and my favorite is probably Mr. Taylor (because it costs half as much as T&H). I do think 1805 is the most... "youthful" of those fragrances. I find it to be a much nicer, more developed young scent than most.

anecdote: My 18yo brother (in high school) gets tons of compliments while wearing 1805 cologne.

My favorite scent is also the Mr. Taylor's. I'd challenge the notion that it is a grandpa scent. It is more on the realm of "gentlemanly", IMO.

I'm 30.

I know it is not one of your suggestions....but look into TOBS Jermyn Street.

I love the sent and it is not old man smelling but still has a very masculine smell.

I'm 30 (well, 29 and 364 days as of the typing of this post), and I've only tried Mr. T's. I LOVE the scent. I wouldn't call it old-manish, but I would call it masculine and classic. Almost cologne-y, but more sophisticated, if you will.

My two pennies.

Thank you very much for your help guys I really appreciate it.

I think that if I go T&H it will be1805.

About Taylor, how about Eton College? I was forgeting that one

Best regards

-Coffee Addict

You can get the T&H sampler without the colognes for like $8.50. Use the B&B code, I think it's BB11, shipping is free on the sampler.

I was going to recommend TOBS Jermyn Street as well. While Mr Taylor is my favorite scent so far, Jermyn Street is a close second. I am terrible at describing scents, but Mr T has a barbershop smell, at first it reminded me of an old man smell, but I love it and I'm 36 by the way. Jermyn Street is totally different and I don't think I will attempt to describe it. It is a little reminiscent of 1805 in my opinion, at least closer to that than barbershop smell. You could almost get both Mr T and Jermyn Street for what T&H costs. Free shipping on Amazon if you spend $25, all the TOBS scents are there. I have a sample of Eton College and it's a little similar to Mr T I think.

Last edited:
I love all three scents, but i don't know if any can be nailed down as young or old, they all have a distinguished feel to them.

Thank you again for your help guys.

I know about the T&H sampler... I could order it but, I'm mexican and live here in my country. The T&H website ships via UPS and I think they don't deliver to PO Boxes.

However, I live very near the US border and I have a friend who has a PO Box in South California. He's going to do me the favor this time.

I think I'll go with either TOBS Mr. Taylor or 1805. I'll get a 75ml tube because I still have the half of a CO Bigelow tube; the so called "Proraso in disguise". I like it so much that I don't really think of chaging it.. but I think it's time to try some of that "high-end" British stuff.

Best regards.

-Coffee Addict

I would also go with 1805 if you are looking for a younger style scent to go with some of the mainstream colognes out today like Gucci, Versace etc. The others have that classic scent.

Of those three, I'd say 1805. It's one of my favorites.
But I think Grafton fits your description of "smelling like youth" better.

Maybe you should try samples. Truefitt & Hill has a sample pack, and TOBS samples are available from Shoebox Shave Shop.

T&H also has a B&B discount. I think it's BB11, but you should check on that to be sure.
I don't know if Shoebox has a discount code for us or not.

1805 is an ocean type scent which seems popular these days with the younger crowd. If you like this go with the 1805. Trafalgar is not a youthful scent is a little more mature and refined. It's light and woodsy without being overly woodsy like some wood scents. Grafton is a green scent that is also light and mature like Trafalgar. Of the 3 T&H's I'd recommend 1805.

I had a tub of Eton College and really liked it. I would not call it young at all, but would not call it a grandpa scent either. My understanding is that it's sold as being younger but is, IMHO, more aristocratic young. Mr. Taylor, of the TOBS scents may work for you. I would not exactly call it young or old. I'd describe it as more of utilitarian where you could see it on a younger person or someone in their middle age.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom