What's new

Cuban Cigars and US-Cuba Relations

I started to ask this question after seeing this post: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2884055&postcount=155 but then realized that the possible ensuing responses could completely de-rail the COTD thread, so I decided it probably needed to be a separate discussion.

Speaking hypothetically of course, how might one obtain a Cuban without leaving the US, or is it even possible? I have always wanted to try a decent Cuban, but it looks like I may never get the opportunity :mad3:

Whatever happened to the POTUS vow to begin the process of normalizing relations with Cuba anyway? :confused1 I don't want to ignite a long political thread, but I am honestly curious. I know he said it either right before or after the election, but I don't think he ever said it again, at least not that I have heard.

Last edited:
You can purchase Cubans and smoke them in Mexico...but then again, if you go to Mexico, why not purchase Mexican cigars? They're superior AND can be brought back legally!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You can purchase Cubans and smoke them in Mexico...but then again, if you go to Mexico, why not purchase Mexican cigars? They're superior AND can be brought back legally!
misternew:
I strongly beg to differ....Mexican over Cuban cigars (wih all of their tobacco history since around 1610), I think not. I can not even think of any Mexican cigars that could compare to Cuban. If so, please educate me. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Those who Smoke Havana’s will never die of Cancer...but those who don't...will die of Envy". Cuban Cigar Slogan

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I started to ask this question after seeing this post: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2884055&postcount=155 but then realized that the possible ensuing responses could completely de-rail the COTD thread, so I decided it probably needed to be a separate discussion.

Speaking hypothetically of course, how might one obtain a Cuban without leaving the US, or is it even possible? I have always wanted to try a decent Cuban, but it looks like I may never get the opportunity :mad3:

Whatever happened to the POTUS vow to begin the process of normalizing relations with Cuba anyway? :confused1 I don't want to ignite a long political thread, but I am honestly curious. I know he said it either right before or after the election, but I don't think he ever said it again, at least not that I have heard.
Steve:
I'm sending you a PM. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

There are some very, very fine Dominican and Honduran, even Nicaraguan cigars out there.

I think much of the allure of a Cuban is the "forbidden" factor, and the history. Yes, there was a time when they ruled the cigar world. They had great estates, perfect climate and soil, and the best blenders and rollers in the world. It's just not true anymore.

There are still nice smokes made in Cuba, for sure. However, the quality of construction and the fine tobacco from Central America, IMO, is more than enough to make any cigar smoker happy. The Phillipines is also pumping out some excellent sticks.

There are some very, very fine Dominican and Honduran, even Nicaraguan cigars out there.

I think much of the allure of a Cuban is the "forbidden" factor, and the history. Yes, there was a time when they ruled the cigar world. They had great estates, perfect climate and soil, and the best blenders and rollers in the world. It's just not true anymore.

There are still nice smokes made in Cuba, for sure. However, the quality of construction and the fine tobacco from Central America, IMO, is more than enough to make any cigar smoker happy. The Phillipines is also pumping out some excellent sticks.

Cuba also imports a lot of cigar tobacco because the demand is out-stripping the supply. Imagine what's going to happen if the embargo is ever lifted.

BTW most Mexican cigars are pretty awful.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but honestly that is absolutely the only time I have ever heard that statement made. I know virtually nothing about Mexican cigars though so please do provide some more information. Virtually everything that I currently smoke is either Dominican or Nicaraguan in origin. I have heard next to nothing revering Mexican cigars.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I certainly agree that part of the allure of Cubans are that we can't get them - forbidden fruit and all that. The fact remains though, that many Cuban cigars are not only of very high quality, but some of the best in the world in their respective categories according to cigar experts (at least some of them).
I have plenty of great smokes to keep me happy, but man, I still want to get
my hands on a nice Cuban or 20 to satisfy my curiosity. :tongue_sm

to each his own...many prefer Dominican or Cubans when given the chance..In my opinion (which means not everyone will think the same!!) I prefer Mexican Santa Clara any day!

I'm not trying to be flippant, but honestly that is absolutely the only time I have ever heard that statement made. I know virtually nothing about Mexican cigars though so please do provide some more information. Virtually everything that I currently smoke is either Dominican or Nicaraguan in origin. I have heard next to nothing revering Mexican cigars.

I had a good cigar in Mexico. Bought it in a shop where the guy was rolling them. It was in Puerto Vallarta but I can't remember the name. Also, as far as buying Cubans in Mexico, be careful not to buy them off the streets. Many of them are fake.

There is no comparison between "domestically available" cigars and Habanos. None. Their allure (as mis-stated by another) is not that they are hard to obtain, but that they are a great cigar. I buy Fonseca Cosacos and San Cristobal El Principes by the box. Wonderful cigars.

I'll send you a PM also.

I'm glad to see people helping each other out, and any information regarding the OP and legitimate sales as it relates to the embargo are welcome as well as discussions of opinions regarding the quality of Cuban cigars and whether or not it is worth the effort to legally obtain them. However the B&B cannot support smuggling contraband or related activity. I would advise caution here gentlemen.

There is no way to legally obtain Cuban products in the US (with the exception of some diplomatic travel that is irrelevant to almost everyone). Cuban cigars are, for the most part, great, particularly if you don't prefer mild cigars. And when the embargo is lifted, I predict a serious decline in quality, at least for a few years.

However the B&B cannot support smuggling contraband or related activity. I would advise caution here gentlemen.

Duly noted. :thumbup1: I can assure you that no one has advised me to smuggle them down from Canada or up from Mexico by any covert means...unless putting them inside one of those fake cans of Barbasol counts - Kidding!!!! :laugh:

proxy.php

:lol: Really, I am NOT serious (just to be sure there is no confusion) :lol:

Duly noted. :thumbup1: I can assure you that no one has advised me to smuggle them down from Canada or up from Mexico by any covert means...unless putting them inside one of those fake cans of Barbasol counts - Kidding!!!! :laugh:

proxy.php

:lol: Really, I am NOT serious (just to be sure there is no confusion) :lol:

Good deal:thumbup1:

I'm glad to see people helping each other out, and any information regarding the OP and legitimate sales as it relates to the embargo are welcome as well as discussions of opinions regarding the quality of Cuban cigars and whether or not it is worth the effort to legally obtain them. However the B&B cannot support smuggling contraband or related activity. I would advise caution here gentlemen.

James, I was about to "nominate" this as a "steward-worthy" post. But, then I noticed the little brown tag under your name. Congrats! :thumbup1:

As far as I know, it is not legally possible to bring cuban cigars into your country.

Having said that, you folks have a real gem of domestic production, which, ironically, *I* cannot get here :mad3:

http://www.cigarfactoryneworleans.com/ :thumbup1:

Having tried many different cigars, I have no problems at all speaking for you when I say you have no reason to smoke cubans with these on the table.

Best,

- John

As far as I know, it is not legally possible to bring cuban cigars into your country.

Having said that, you folks have a real gem of domestic production, which, ironically, *I* cannot get here :mad3:

http://www.cigarfactoryneworleans.com/ :thumbup1:

Having tried many different cigars, I have no problems at all speaking for you when I say you have no reason to smoke cubans with these on the table.

Best,

- John

Correct, as I understand it. Even those internet companies that promise to send you the goods are technically violating the embargo and abetting a US Citizen in an illegal act. It is likewise illegal for a US Citizen to purchase Cuban products (of any kind) while abroad, even if said product will be consumed in the foreign country. Note that the embargo applies not just to Cuban cigars, but all products of Cuban manufacture. So, Cuban coffee, Cuban rum, etc. are all out as well.

Top Bottom