What's new

British Museum Cutler/Razor Maker "Trade Card"

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Henry Looker's "trade card" advertising his work. Now I feel the need to "look" for a Looker.
proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
What size are these cards? Do we know?

I'm tempted to make myself one, just for laughs. :001_tongu

A wonderful razormaker's card
proxy.php
Great post. All these cards are interesting. Does this one say Likewife as one word? Wonder why it is bolded. Ir reads a lot like "Likewise". Looks like a very old word, I couldn't find much on the internet but this 16th Century Will uses the terms likewife and laftly as if the letter 's' got substituted with 'f' way back then.

I was also curious if about fleames? "...the Best Fleames and Horse Scissors..." :confused1

Legion

Staff member
Great post. All these cards are interesting. Does this one say Likewife as one word? Wonder why it is bolded. Ir reads a lot like "Likewise". Looks like a very old word, I couldn't find much on the internet but this 16th Century Will uses the terms likewife and laftly as if the letter 's' got substituted with 'f' way back then.

I was also curious if about fleames? "...the Best Fleames and Horse Scissors..." :confused1
A fleame is a knife which was used to bleed horses. The Japanese used them as well. I'm not sure what the medical benefit was.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
A fleame is a knife which was used to bleed horses. The Japanese used them as well. I'm not sure what the medical benefit was.

There are better ones with horn or tortoise that I've actually seen in person... but here is an idea....

Fleames were used in "modern" medicine up through the early 1800's or so.
We are talking about a time when "bleeding" a patient was a common practice. Fleames go arm in arm with leeches and such like. Do a google search on American colonial medicines or just medical practices from the 18th. century. You're bound to find some truely facinating and horrific stuff. :w00t:

course now I'm wondering if we aught to start up restorers' trading cards.
I want the Ellis rookie card!! :thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
Fleames were used in "modern" medicine up through the early 1800's or so.
We are talking about a time when "bleeding" a patient was a common practice. Fleames go arm in arm with leeches and such like. Do a google search on American colonial medicines or just medical practices from the 18th. century. You're bound to find some truely facinating and horrific stuff. :w00t:

course now I'm wondering if we aught to start up restorers' trading cards.
I want the Ellis rookie card!! :thumbup1:

I want a John C die-cut foil card. :lol:

That's not an "f", that's a long s. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s
+2. This has been an informative thread. ...And to think when I first glanced at that "trade card" I thought why are those church keys hanging up there, not understanding that was a Fleame or what it was used for.

I didn't dig deep enough to sign up for an Australian library account to really check this out, but looks like there may be another Packwood poster online here, some of wording is the same as posted here.

The interesting thing is that the United States was one of the last areas to use the long "s". In all of our revolutionary pamplets, the "s" was prominant, but it already was passe on the continent.

Top Bottom