What's new

How I make Vietnamese Coffee (Ca Phe)

Coffee prepared "Vietnamese style" can be in a word, exceptional. For most, this would come as quite a shock, as Vietnamese coffee from most restaurants (all i've tried) is simply undrinkable swill. It tends to be prepared with very cheap (and often stable) Robusta coffee from a can, poorly ground and loaded with sweetened condensed milk. I use high quality, fresh roasted coffee beans, ground right before the application of boiling (or near boiling) water, and if any milk is added, it's 2%. You CAN add sweetened condensed milk, but frankly it ruins the taste profile.

For all intents and purposes - consider this more a tutorial on how to make exceptional coffee using a Vietnamese coffee filter - versus doing it in a pure "traditional" manner. Vietnamese coffee filters are quite common, and can often be found at Asian markets for around $5.

Step 1: Acquire some high quality coffee - ideally full city + as anything above FC+ starts to lose body/character. For this particular cup, i've chosen a DELICIOUS organic Mexican Terruno Nayarita washed reserve, roaster to Full City + on a Behmor 1600 (8oz of beans roasted at 19 minutes on P4). Use poor quality coffee, get poor results, use fresh roasted, quality coffee - prepare to be shocked...

full

Before and after:
full

Step 2: Grind fresh coffee beans with a good quality burr grinder. This is essential - as the filter holes are larger than that of a french press, so if you use a poor quality grinder that is inconsistent or produces "fines" when grinding for a french press, it won't cut it. I use the second coarsest setting on my Vario, but you most certainly do not need that high end a grinder.

full

Step 3: Put together the items you'll need for preparation.
1.) Coarse ground coffee (french press setting)
2.) Cup
3.) Teaspoon measurement
4.) Water boiler (or source for boiling water)
5.) Vietnamese metal coffee filter
6.) *OPTIONAL* Flat head screw driver
7.) *OPTIONAL* Ice
8.) *OPTIONAL* Milk (of your choice)

full

Step 4: Remove the top of the coffee filter, then unscrew the top filter screen

full

Notice the size of the holes? You don't want "fines" in your grind, or they'll end up in your cup, and you'll be left with a bitter brew...
full

Step 5: Pour 4 teaspoons of freshly ground coffee into the filter and then lightly shake the filter back and forth to evenly distribute the ground coffee as level as possible...

full

full

full

Step 6: Put the top filter in place, and turn the screw/top filter clockwise to tighten it. You want the top filter to be lightly snug against the ground coffee. This is an essential step - you'll read in some places to turn the top filter 2X, to leave it loose, or to really tighten it down - all of these are incorrect instructions and will yield poor results. If you screw it down too tightly, the ground coffee cannot expand enough, and with the application of boiling water when the coffee AND metal expand, you won't be able to loosen the top filter until cool. If you have it too loose, the ground coffee will expand TOO much and it will brew too quickly, leaving a sour and weak brew. Again - just tighten it until lightly snug.

full

Step 7: Add ice if making an iced coffee and place the filter on top of your cup. In this instance I used ice, and personally feel this filter works best when making iced coffee.

full

full

Step 8: Fill the filter about 1/4 full with water that had just been taken off a boil and take care not to pour water onto the center screw (you'll see why in step 9)...

full

full

Step 9: Wait 30 seconds, then twist the top screw 2 rotations counter clockwise to loosen the top filter a bit, help better distribute the water, and allow the ground coffee to expand a bit - but not too much, so as to have the proper flow. Note: if you've poured boiling water on the top screw, it will be too hot to touch, so you may need to use a flat head screwdriver...

full

full

Step 10: Fill the filter to the top with the 200+ degree water from your kettle and put the metal lid on the filter. Note: the kettle you initially used to fill the first 1/4 of the filter at this point will be about perfect brewing temperature of around 200-205 degrees fahrenheit.

full

full

full

Step 11: Wait for the coffee to brew...

full

Drippin' away...
full

Half way there....
full

Getting close....
full

full

Done!
full

Step 12: Pick up the filter (still over your cup) and take off the top lid, and place the filter on top of the lid. This will allow you to move it to the sink, or to a waste receptacle to dump out the ground coffee, without spilling any molten hot residual drops of coffee on the floor, your feet, or your hands.

full

Step 13: Twist the top screw counter clockwise until the top filter is free, then dump the spent grounds into a waste receptacle.

full

Step 14: Enjoy some fabulous coffee, and if you care to - add a splash of milk - you won't need, or want to add much - especially in iced form, as this will be a wonderfully flavorful brew - and if done right, have no acidity or harshness...

Straight...
full

Slash of milk...
full

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent tutorial. I have had a metal Vietnamese coffee filter for years and have had decent results. I have had some problems getting the top part tight enough with out it being too tight. I think your with method I won't have those problems.

Excellent tutorial. I have had a metal Vietnamese coffee filter for years and have had decent results. I have had some problems getting the top part tight enough with out it being too tight. I think your with method I won't have those problems.

Try it again with the above method, and let me know how it works out. :001_smile

Great tutorial, SWMBO has a method for making Vietnamese coffee pretty much down packed. The few dollars we spent on the filters was a very good investment.

Seems like you end up with a fair amount of grounds above the top screen - is it coarser than the lower screen?

Seems like you end up with a fair amount of grounds above the top screen - is it coarser than the lower screen?

It's slightly coarser, but the real culprit of the grounds on the top screen is step 9. When the grounds expand, and you rotate the top filter 2X the movement of the top filter coupled with the pressure of the expanded grounds results in some of the coffee finding its way on top of the filter. Since the bottom filter remains stationary, no grounds go into the cup.

It's slightly coarser, but the real culprit of the grounds on the top screen is step 9. When the grounds expand, and you rotate the top filter 2X the movement of the top filter coupled with the pressure of the expanded grounds results in some of the coffee finding its way on top of the filter. Since the bottom filter remains stationary, no grounds go into the cup.

Excellent; thanks Joel. Nice post all around, really. Might have to pick one of these up - they're really cheap, and look like loads of fun.

Thanks for the very nice tutorial. I've had one of these in my drawer for a long time, but I've never got consistent results. This set me straight. I'm going to give it a try in the morning.

Nice pictorial writeup. :thumbup1: Do you ever brew real strong coffee with it? Similar to what you might get in Europe? I don't have one of these at home, but when I've had it brewed for me before they only used approx half that much water (not sure how much coffee). OP drank their cup with lots of condensed milk (half coffee and half milk) whereas I added more hot water to my cup to get an americano style drink. Which turned out real nice. Overall I was left thinking this may be less fuss than the Aeropress brewer since there is no paper filter to worry about and no need to plunge. Just need to get a feel for loading with right pressure so that it will drip through properly.

Nice pictorial writeup. :thumbup1: Do you ever brew real strong coffee with it? Similar to what you might get in Europe? I don't have one of these at home, but when I've had it brewed for me before they only used approx half that much water (not sure how much coffee). OP drank their cup with lots of condensed milk (half coffee and half milk) whereas I added more hot water to my cup to get an americano style drink. Which turned out real nice. Overall I was left thinking this may be less fuss than the Aeropress brewer since there is no paper filter to worry about and no need to plunge. Just need to get a feel for loading with right pressure so that it will drip through properly.

Yeah - I brew strong coffee (no ice) with it, once in awhile, but it doesn't do much for me. It makes an incredible iced coffee - and that's what I use it for 99% of the time. If I want espresso like coffee, I'll fire up the espresso machine :thumbup:

Thanks for the very nice tutorial. I've had one of these in my drawer for a long time, but I've never got consistent results. This set me straight. I'm going to give it a try in the morning.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Great tutorial, I usually use French Market canned (with chicory). Not fresh gound, but hey, it's what they use in the restaurants...

Joel, you answered a year old post lol. Anyway, I've tried this style of coffee at a few authentic pho restaurants and can't say that I'm a big fan. Maybe they make the coffee way too strong, but I just can't get used to the overpowering taste, even after it's watered down by the ice and sweetened with the condensed milk. They always use that Bustelo yellow can coffee for some reason.

Great instructions and a nice post, even if it is a year old (never saw it the first time as I wasn't around back then). It's funny that I rather like the taste of Cafe Su Da with the burnt tasting coffee and the sweetened condensed milk even though I normally hate this kind of coffee and roast my own coffee lightly as a result to get the nice, bright, sweet origin flavors rather than roasty notes. Still, I like the traditional Cafe Su Da so at my last company I would make it with the Starbucks French Roast they had (pre-ground) into condensed milk and it was pretty refreshing. You need the condensed milk to offset the bitter, burnt flavors of the dark roasts.

I've tried it with lighter roast coffees (but not with 2% milk) and it's just not the same for me.

Cafe Su Da is a rare treat and I much prefer a straight iced coffee (Keyna or Ethiopia hot brewed into ice) as it gives a very bright, refreshing beverage.

Top Bottom