What's new

What did you hone today?

proxy.php

I worked on some Chinese and Pakistani razors today, mostly because I managed to get my "Kentucky hone" flat enough to see what it would do. It's some sandstone a friend of mine was using for landscaping, pale gray with mud between the fairly thin layers of stone, so it's about half an inch thick. Feels fairly coarse and sounds fairly coarse while honing, but the scratch pattern is finer than my 3000 grit Naniwa, so it has possibilities. Very fine, in fact.

Will grind away some more, it's not quite perfectly finished, and need to clean up the sides to allow me to hone better, but it has promise. Cheap too, as I just picked it off the junk in my buddy's truck on the way to the dump. May snag a few more pieces and share it.

The razors actually shave off the stone. Not well, but not horrible either.

Peter

^^^ Now That's Neat! Using indigenous stone for honing! Our local limestone is way too coarse to use for that. There is shale to the east and slate. I am intrigued!

well, will wonders never cease. waiting to get my ark laped I gave the coti a whorl on one of my better razors to get it ready for the ark. stiction was good, feedback good.... looked good... treetopped well.... hmmm... put it on the Kanayama and take it for a drive.

butta. sublime butta. my first pleasantly shaveable coti edge ever. so, Swedish steel, 1/4 ground Japanese razor feels like that..... onto the hollows

$DSC_0368.jpg

$IMG_1213.jpg

These cast steel razors don't seem to sell as high priced as others.Honed up nice and shaved well,am I missing something?Honed this today on the coticule below it.Hardly any hone wear and didn't cost a fortune.

Today I honed a honed a Boker on a vintage Nakayama and had a great shave. I'm gonna blame my renewed Jnat interest on @Steve56 for sending me a couple of sublimely honed vintage razors and @Dcaddo111 for throwing me over the cliff with this stone.... Down the rabbit hole we go.....:w00t:

Attachments

• $fullsizeoutput_1ee.jpg
    $fullsizeoutput_1ee.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 80
These cast steel razors don't seem to sell as high priced as others.Honed up nice and shaved well,am I missing something?Honed this today on the coticule below it.Hardly any hone wear and didn't cost a fortune.

Really doubt it. Probably just got lucky. Razors seem mostly to have a few obvious and significant price spikes. Key brands/Models, Apparent Condition being NOS or very close, larger sizes (>13/16, and especially >8/8), Rare or exotic scales, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting (I don't buy razors much anymore). That razor looks nice, but doesn't really hit on any of the "price spiker" traits... so it'll stay reasonable unless two people get into a bidding war on it for some more specific appeal it holds for them. If you avoid these traits you can get really great razors for vast savings over what you'd pay if you picked up even one of the "spike" traits. Doubt it has much if anything to do with "cast steel"

So I'm trying out ''tis BBW that was the backing of a worn out Coticule.
I hear beginners on these stones often get bad first results so let's see how it goes:
proxy.php

Cheated and set the bevel with an India benchstone then raised a heavy slurry with an India slipstone.

Then used a kind of diluticot method and finished with 50+ laps on a very very light slurry with spine leading strokes.
Hmm...

Top Bottom