What's new

What did you hone today?

Quick touch up on this vintage labeled Coti I got from hig789.
$20150801_111858.jpg

Went a little Hone Crazy today myself and did 1 Brand New Hashir from set to finish and touche up my top three on the Black Ark.

Razor Progression From Left To Right:
1. Hashir progression: #1200 Naniwa, 12k Guangxi, Hard Ark, Black Ark.
2. 11/16 Wade And Butcher: 12K Guangxi, Hard Ark, Black Ark.
3. 5/8 GENCO Master Cutler: Hard Ark, Black Ark.
4. Gebr. Krusius Gouverneur 65: Hard Ark, Black Ark.

$20150801_212344-1.jpg

$20150801_212322-1.jpg

Imperial cutlery. 1k, Lorraine, coti slurry to water, apache black Gila. Getting more used to the feedback it provides and I think I hit the sweet spot with this blade. It seems to be the most refined edge so far. Somewhat o/t but lovely steel on these..

$WP_20150802_01_49_57_Pro.jpg

Spent the morning polishing up a Shumate as my son picked this one from my small collection of straights for his first, I am also giving him my used TM strop and JNAT so he should be good to go.

$IMG_3186.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Didn't like the edge overly much this morning, so I went back to the stone again this afternoon. Much less swarf than yesterday's session (see pic above), as I reverted back to normal "make contact, no pressure" strokes, whereas yesterday I experimented with some torque.

Finally sorted out the edge of this lather well shave well butcher. It had diabolical hone wear/uneven bevel when I got it months ago. Basically, the heel had no wear at the edge or spine, the middle was excessively worn and the toe was mild. I started on this months ago and got sidetracked. I ground the spine down on a shapton glass 500 to even it out, then I got an even bevel going with two layers of tape. That was the point I stopped. Tonight I set the bevel up for one layer of .007. I ended up with a wider bevel for this but a better angle. I would rather it shaves right vs looking tidier. Shapton 500, Japanese 1k, Japanese 6k, bbw slurry to water, la verte slurry to water, vosgienne. 60/100. Passing hht well. Steel on this is interesting. It might just be my imagination, but I seems a bit harder than typical butcher steel.

$WP_20150805_02_05_34_Pro.jpg$WP_20150805_02_05_49_Pro.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Doing a little tomo nagura matching/experimenting, so a Gold Dollar 208 honed on a small piece of really superb asagi.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_2116.jpg
    $IMG_2116.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 206
A friend asked me if I would sharpen his knife for him.
He showed up with this fixed blade knife and a DMT guide.

Naniwa's 1k, 3k, 8k
$20150808_202859.jpg

$20150808_203513.jpg

Last edited:
ERN Es-Ex.
Bevel set with vintage India, progression of Welsh slates with oil, final finish with 0.3u then 0.05u film.
proxy.php

This slate progression with the fine film finish is working very well for me, especially with the harder steels like this dense bright ERN.

Nice collection! What do you use for "touch them up"?

Thank you very much. I like them all very much. For touch ups I just use my Black Ark and do 100 laps each to resmooth everything out and repolish the blade. Then about 80 or so laps on my Duck Cloth homemade strop with 200K Diamond Spray. Super thin coat of mineral oil on the blades to keep everyone nice and rust free and just wait for them to come up in rotation again. For me it is just a nice relaxing routine on a day off to take my mind of the normal "Life" junk.

Thank you very much. I like them all very much. For touch ups I just use my Black Ark and do 100 laps each to resmooth everything out and repolish the blade. Then about 80 or so laps on my Duck Cloth homemade strop with 200K Diamond Spray. Super thin coat of mineral oil on the blades to keep everyone nice and rust free and just wait for them to come up in rotation again. For me it is just a nice relaxing routine on a day off to take my mind of the normal "Life" junk.

Thanks for the info and I agree with your last sentence for sure! :)

I like that size. I sometimes hold my 8 x2 trans black but it's a bit too big. A 6 x2 might be nice, but the pocket hone works great too.
That's my densest stone too.

Top Bottom