What's new

What did you hone today?

$PC020001.jpg$P9020033.jpg

I have been playing around lately with some synthetic edges and even some film edges, but decided to break this coti and razor out. I hadn't used this stone in quite some time so going in I told myself that if I didn't hit it just right I could always finish it on one of my Les Lats. Well no such remedial measures were needed as I got a superb edge. The HHT was crazy good. So good I went and got another hair just to confirm it and watch the hair silently fall. Shave will be this evening.

Thank you David. I shave with this one a LOT! It is everything I wanted in a straight. My no holds barred perfect razor. Having used it for a couple years now there is still nothing that I would change.

My old faithful test razor and a new stone. Great finish with very little work. The feedback doesn't change unless you use light pressure. Then it sticks to the stone and gives a mirror finish. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436259539.250701.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A 1/4 hollow 13/16+ Spanish point Hisyakaku 500. Interesting razor, box is marked "Extra Very Hard" and it apparently is. Took quite a while to set the bevel and bring up the edge to where it should be, and the hone wear was very small. Tiny invisible bevels like we see on so many fine Japanese razors.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $Hisyakaku1.jpg
    $Hisyakaku1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 87

Steve56

Tanifuji made NOS Nichiri Cape 1000. 13/16 half hollow and superbly ground. It took very little to bring this one up to snuff. These razors are a joy to shave with.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $Cape1000.jpg
    $Cape1000.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 87
What I honed yesterday, today and all going well tomorrow. A few small chips and a rounded bevel ended up taking a little longer than planned on the 1500 grit but the end is nigh and the naturals are calling.

$IMG_20150708_000514.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Tanifuji made NOS Nichiri Cape 1000. 13/16 half hollow and superbly ground. It took very little to bring this one up to snuff. These razors are a joy to shave with.

Cheers, Steve
And beautiful to look at too!!

Started to give this TSC a touchup then decided to go back to bevel. 1200 bester, 4000 imanishi, 8000 SS, thuri, linen and Illinois 361 horsehide.

$image.jpg

My guess is a mottled thuri. Does have a cool in-the-rough look since the top is the only finished side. Came with the one in my first post. Not quite as fine. I normally use as a pre-finisher for that one.

Last edited:
I decided to clean up a hell of a lot of edge damage on this George Johnson before going any further. The edge had a ripple in it the size of a pinhead from a ding and was chippy all over. I wanted to make sure the steel was good. That initial bit was ludicrously soft but then it normalized quickly after some microchipping in protest. I'll tidy it up now and hone it proper.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I hone this Solingen on Suehiro 1/3 K after a coti try to finish on my new stone / Silkstone or thuri / and finaly finish plain water on a blue green slurry to see how my new BG piece of thuri performs .

$SIMG0009.jpg
$SIMG0004.jpg

Steve56

A Corvette 1965 of Austrian Schoeller-Bleckmann EVH Phoenix steel. The stuff is hard for sure. Dead silent HHT root-in/root-out off the kan.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_2082.jpg
    $IMG_2082.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 118

Steve56

My guess is a mottled thuri. Does have a cool in-the-rough look since the top is the only finished side. Came with the one in my first post. Not quite as fine. I normally use as a pre-finisher for that one.

I asked because the pattern looks a little like a Schwenstein. If it is, you have the thickest one in the world!

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom