What's new

What did you hone today?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
All those nagura came from Keith. The asagi was my first jnat purchase and came from Takeshi.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A user Filly 14 from Alfredo on a Nakayama kiita from Alex. Two-pass BBS.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1890.jpg
    $IMG_1890.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 91
C.V. Heljestrand K&B Extra No. 23 with some pitting on the edge and a slightly warped blade. It took a couple of hours with the C1K to get rid of the pits and set the bevel. Then hard Ark, dulicot and finished on black Ark. Post stropping HHT seems to be up to snuff, but we'll see in the morning.
View attachment 552312

Steve56

Had a little slurry left over after honing a test razor, so I touched up one of my favorite shavers, an Eiko.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1895.jpg
    $IMG_1895.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 86

Steve56

Gold Dollar stainless (which isn't so stainless as it seems) on an interestingly colored vintage Maruka-stamped Nakayama. A medium hard and fine stone and a good edge on the razor.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1901.jpg
    $IMG_1901.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 69

Steve56

Hi David! French point between-the-wars Boker touched up with misty slurry on a vintage Nakayama iro-kiita on loan from Alex. Superb stone, and this morning's shave with the Boker was as good as it gets. Bokers of this vintage IMO are as good as anything ever made anywhere, Swedish, Japanese, French ... They were at the apex of razor making.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1903.jpg
    $IMG_1903.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 66

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice! I love old bokers. I have quite a few, but nothing as nice as yours. I have a fili 14 and a NOS 7/8 dorko, both are wonderful shavers, but my very best shaver is a boker red injun 102 that's just under 7/8.
That French point gets me every time. Really nice Steve.

Steve56

Wider Bokers are less common, I'd like to have a near 7/8. These are 6/8 so they're a nice width and the grind is as you note, just very, very good.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

My 210mm Takeda sasanoa (bamboo leaf) on a piece of hard pretty suita on loan from Alex. I like suita edges on the kitchen knives. The sasanoa is like halfway between a gyuto and a slicer. An excellent knife, but I'm not sure what the middle-of-the-road shape gets you.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1910.jpg
    $IMG_1910.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 64
Today I honed 3 razors

Same routine for all 3, except for the first that needed some bevel work on the DMT 300/600/1500.
Progression was Norton 4k, Norton 8K, King 6K, Naniwa 10K, Shapton 16K. Finish on a Imperia La Roccia 12-15K

David Issard
$Honed.jpg

Sharp Frameback
$Honed.jpg

Saddi
$Honed.jpg

Took a GD 208 back to bevel on a SS 1K then to the SS 5K and Cerax 8 and finished on Apache Strata (Getting it ready for the PIF I posted)

$IMG_1845.jpg

Steve56

Had the Nakayama sunashi suita out for the "alternate grit" image, so I decided to freshen up the edge on the "Shaver's Delight". And it was shaver's delight this morning, BBS super smooth shave.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1919.jpg
    $IMG_1919.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 213
Robert Klaas. Chosera 1K bevel set , Botan Tioshi for further refinement, Asano Tenyjou, Atsu, Mejiro #1, Mejiro #2 (much finer), green mystery Gamma Tomo on a Wakasa Kiita. 25/50 Lipshaw Black/Neil Miller Custom Lipshaw Leather.
View attachment 554151

Top Bottom