What's new

Oils? Castor? Olive?

Ok, I've been researching pre-shave oils. Granted, the sticky post says we don't need no stinkin' pre-shave; we can just use our regular shave creme or soap and work it in to our skin, rinse it off, then reapply it and shave.

But I've been using AOS pre-shave oil and it DOES seem to help to make the blade a little smoother, etc.

Here's my question: If you look at the ingredients of AOS pre-shave oil, it's castor oil and olive oil. If you look at Anthony Logistics pre-shave oil, it's castor oil, olive oil, and then a bunch of chemicals and scents. SO: has anyone tried just using olive oil as a pre-shave? Or castor oil? If yes, which brand?

I realize "my mileage may vary," but are there cheap alternatives out there for pre-shave oils?

Though once I started wet shaving and applying a proper prep the oil wasn't necessary.

This has been my experience. Well, almost. My prep is good, and by the time I tried oil, the only difference it made was the extra step and expense. Keep you eye on the goal of a painless BBS shave, and whatever you find that takes you there it will be the best thing for you.

I use extra virgin olive oil, almond oil or walnut oil (I really like the smell).

If applied some time before the actual shave, I have found it to provide a smoother shave for me.

My normal prep after that is a couple of minutes with a hot, wet towel on my face, while the soap, the brush and the Merkur Futur soak in the basin. Lather up and away we go.

No cuts, no nicks no irritation.

:eek:)
Perkus

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Plain regular olive oil would do. Be careful not putting too much otherwise it will kill your lather.

Now Solutions is a reputable brand. I just bought a small bottle of castor oil for $4 at the local whole fodds. I just made my own pre shave oil using equal parts of castor oil, oilve oil and baby oil. I also added a few drops of lavendar essential oil. It came out very close to AOS lavendar oil.

Now Solutions is a reputable brand. I just bought a small bottle of castor oil for $4 at the local whole fodds. I just made my own pre shave oil using equal parts of castor oil, oilve oil and baby oil. I also added a few drops of lavendar essential oil. It came out very close to AOS lavendar oil.

I used a very similar combination but minus the baby oil. Bought the castor oil, olive oil and Lavendar essential oil at Whole Foods and my results were very close to AOS lavendar oil as well...good luck!

I tried the 'home recipe' castor/olive oils and it does provide some forgiveness if you skimp on the prep, but it caused my skin to break out. My little experiment with oils is over.

Top Bottom