What's new

Help with why I keep bleeding....

ive been at this for a month. i dont need to shave a ton maybee 2 times a week. no matter what i do i cannot go aginst the grain with out gushing blood outta 3000 red dots. threw the shaving cream. if i go with it and across it its fine maybe 1 nick here or there. but as soon as i go up. my blood comes out lol.. ive tryed every diffrent angle possible. is it possible that you just cant go aginst the grain? is some guys faces just not able to do that with out damage..

Need more info in order to help you.

What Razor do you use?

Which Blade?

Soap?

How's the lather?

How's your prep?

Remember NO PRESSURE!

and be patient.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How long have you been shaving for? You need practice to get better shaves. If it's not right to go ATG, do not go ATG. Not everyone can. Depending on your experience, shaving ATG now might not be a good idea either...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Don't have a clue on how your skin condition is, if it's kinda saggy like mine is or what. (And NO, I'm NOT getting old) :lol:

You might try stretching the skin a bit to give it a flat plane for the razor to cut on while going up. I don't stretch at all going WTG, but do on XTG, and a bit on some spots going ATG. But I do the chin jut to the opposite side and the fingers on the bottom of the neck for the neck passes. And no pressure.

You may want to look up some skin stretching for straight razor shaving on youtube and try that stuff.

After a month, shaving twice a week, you are on your 8th to 10th shave - right? At that point your technique probably isn't ready for ATG yet. Stick to WTG and XTG, and keep practicing to perfect your lather, blade angle, and pressure.

I've been at it a month and it has gone well for the most part. On occasion I would get weepers. Then I switched to cold water shaving and no more weepers.

You're probably putting too much pressure on the blade. Also, I can't shave against the grain on my neck and moustache. I will bleed like your describing if I do. I just go across the grain in both directions. Good luck!

Also, I can't shave against the grain on my neck and moustache. I will bleed like your describing if I do. I just go across the grain in both directions. Good luck!

I agree. I've been at it for about 4 years now and have found that some parts of my face don't need/want an ATG pass (especially if I have waited a few days between shaves). Two passes XTG in opposite directions often does the job really well anyway.

Ya sorry guys for the lack of info .. the shaver is a merker hd. Feather blade. Tobs sandalwood... with glycerin added nice warm pillowy lather .. rb scuttle only been doing this a month or 2.. face prep condition in the shower with hot water then hot water slashes before shave then lather.. I get a feeling allready that I'm not a ATG kinda guy lol

I would recommend to stop with the hot water slashing. I'm no expert, but I'd say that's causing the majority of the bleeding. :001_cool:

I'm not an ATG type of guy either. It just doesn't work. If I don't cut myself, I'll get ingrowns instead.

Have you tried any blades other than Feather? If not, get a sample pack. They may not be for you either. Try some Derby, Personna Red, Astra SP, etc.

Also, You could start with modifying the water. You say you're using hot water. Try warm, tepid, and even cold water or succession of using each for at least a week before moving on to the next.

Since you only shave twice a week, perhaps you could shave more often, maybe every-other-day and then do only with-the-grain passes. Keeping up with the growth more often might eliminate the need to go against-the-grain for a close shave.

Usually, we go ATG for extra closeness, but your first pass should be WTG to knock the hair down. You probably have a fine beard since you don't have to shave every day. so more frequent WTG passes may just keep you smooth enough.

Ya sorry guys for the lack of info .. the shaver is a merker hd. Feather blade. Tobs sandalwood... with glycerin added nice warm pillowy lather .. rb scuttle only been doing this a month or 2.. face prep condition in the shower with hot water then hot water slashes before shave then lather.. I get a feeling allready that I'm not a ATG kinda guy lol

WOW, there's your answer. Been shaving a month (still fairly new) and you're using an aggressive razor and THE SHARPEST BLADE MADE. :laugh:

Definitely try some milder blades until you get your technique perfected. Some Red Pack Personnas, Crystals, or even pick up a pack of Wilkinsons at Walmart. They'd be good to "learn" and practice with.

I've been shaving about a year and a half now and still have not attemped a Feather. Crystals are my go-to blade for a daily BBS.

The advice on getting a blade sampler pack is your best route. Sometimes, blades that others rave about will butcher other people. I've found that the Green 7 O'Clock blades that people swear by on here just cut me up. Derby blades were the worst I tried but people on here buy them by the hundreds. Everyone's face is different and reacts to every blade differently.

I'm thinking technique could be your main issue, but it sounds like those Feathers may not be the blade for you.

I could "my" blade by going through a Sampler Pack from WCS:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-Blades_c_7.html

I got the $5.50 pack and picked up a few more random brands by the pack from them to try a variety, but as a beginner, I stayed away from the Feathers. You could even build your own custom sample pack from them by buying a pack each of the different brands you want to try, or do what I did and add some additional brands to the cheapest sample pack.

My neck will weep if I go against the grain there. SO I DON'T!!!

If I must for some strange reason......Get the alum block ready.

My advice is:

Be nice to yourself!

Don't expect BBS shaves, go for beard reduction, as Mantic59 preaches. Enjoy the prep, the time it takes to go slowly and give yourself a pat on the back for taking it easy.

Then the really good shaves will come to you, like waiting to attract birds in the woods. Be still and patient and mother nature will reward you.

Shhhh.... can you hear your whiskers wisper? Thank you....

:eek:)
Perkus

WOW, there's your answer. Been shaving a month (still fairly new) and you're using an aggressive razor and THE SHARPEST BLADE MADE. :laugh:

Definitely try some milder blades until you get your technique perfected. Some Red Pack Personnas, Crystals, or even pick up a pack of Wilkinsons at Walmart. They'd be good to "learn" and practice with.

+1 Agreed. Good advice. Wilkinsons are nice, forgiving blades, you may find them to be the best blades for you.

Have you tried Merkurs? I know a lot of people on this forum can't stand them (or think they're overpriced/inconsistent), but those puppies give me a wonderful shave every time. Derby's are like a horror show on my face. I may try a feather, just to say I did, but I'm quite happy with Wilkinson's and Merkurs.

The answer to both of your questions is YES.

I learned very early on that I simply CANNOT shave against the grain as it will shred up my face exactly the way you described.

So, my advice to you is to shave with- and across-the-grain and be satisfied in achieving DFS instead of BBS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

ive been at this for a month. i dont need to shave a ton maybee 2 times a week. no matter what i do i cannot go aginst the grain with out gushing blood outta 3000 red dots. threw the shaving cream. if i go with it and across it its fine maybe 1 nick here or there. but as soon as i go up. my blood comes out lol.. ive tryed every diffrent angle possible. is it possible that you just cant go aginst the grain? is some guys faces just not able to do that with out damage[?]

Top Bottom