What's new

Most important....

Ok, so I have only had 4 wetshaves with my Merkur HD. However, the last was the absolute best! The first 3 were not bad mind you....a few weepers, and BBS on one. However, I always had a tiny bit of razor burn. I came back to the trusty B&B and read up more....heck I thought I had read everything....no pressure, face prep, good lather, WTG, XTG, only ATG with caution. I did all that!

What I think I have found key for me however, is in the way I hold the razor. I was holding it more as I did with a cartridge razor, albeit with what I thought was little pressure. I was wrong. Last night, I used a fingertip grip on the end of the razor and voila!. Very nice shave and no burn! I really think the fingertip hold on the HD is key for any newbie.

My setup:

Merkur HD(Merkur blades)
C&E Badger
AOS Sandalwood Cream
Nivea AS and AOS Sandalwood AS
Sampler blade pack on the way

Severum

Welcome, Severum!

Congrats on the great shave! :thumbup1:

Not much can be added to that post! :biggrin: Keep it up, and enjoy yourself here on B&B!

Tchau,
chop-chop

I think I have found key for me however, is in the way I hold the razor. I was holding it more as I did with a cartridge razor, albeit with what I thought was little pressure. I was wrong. Last night, I used a fingertip grip on the end of the razor and voila!. Very nice shave and no burn! I really think the fingertip hold on the HD is key for any newbie.

Welcome, and thanks for reminding me at least of the grip on the razor issue. I have to confess that I forget this point more often than I care to admit.

Holding the razor by the very tip of the handle is a great way to get a feel for light pressure, just as holding it by the head gives a feel for blade angle. For me, both of those grips have instructional value but (for me) are impractical for a full shave. The tip of the handle grip cramps my hand (especially with a heavier razor like the Futur or Vision) and the head grip limits flexibility in turning razor as the face curves. So I mostly grip the razor at the point of balance. But I do return to the other grips from time to time as a check...

Severum,

You had an experience similar to mine. Once I figured out how to hold the razor, a Merkur HD, the shaves, and the condiditon of my face, improved dramatically. Amazing how such a little thing can make such big changes.

For me it has always been about the grip and the angle. Keep those two correct and it's BBS all the way.

I am lucky in that I can shave with either hand. If one starts to cramp up or feel fatiqued, I just switch hands.

I really have a big strong hands, but I don't know how but I need to put some pressure on the razor to really makes it work (with almost any blades)

I think you should pay close attention to the angle (25-35 degrees) and the pressure - sometimes you are just doing to little because you are afraid of it - DON'T be afraid of a razor, it won't bite you!

Also, the growth of the hair is important - start WTG and only then ATG or what ever

Also, with DE I feel like having a really good lather can really do miracles, so use a good brush and a good cream or soap

I really have a big strong hands, but I don't know how but I need to put some pressure on the razor to really makes it work (with almost any blades)

I think you should pay close attention to the angle (25-35 degrees) and the pressure - sometimes you are just doing to little because you are afraid of it - DON'T be afraid of a razor, it won't bite you!

Also, the growth of the hair is important - start WTG and only then ATG or what ever

Also, with DE I feel like having a really good lather can really do miracles, so use a good brush and a good cream or soap

Um...actually it will if you aren't careful. :wink: Light-to-zero pressure really is the key to a razor-burn free face.

Thanks for the warm welcome gang. My wife thinks I am crazy when I tell her I am "Cravin a Shave". Seriously though....this is a sick disorder. I now walk around all day dreamin of the next shave.

I take it I am not alone with the gang here.

Severum

I will be the first one to tell you that you are not alone in craving for a shaving. Nor if you develop RAD, SBAD, SSAD, SCAD or any other AD. You will be in good company here. Good job on the transition to a great DE shave. Welcome to B&B.

Spattz

Thanks for the advice.I too am new to this and Have an HD
I found today as well that the lighter the hold the better the shave, compared to my old shick 4 blade where I had to be more like Arnie Shwarzenneger in the pressure I had to put on the damm thing! A case of (in a terminator voice!) I won't be back!:thumbdown
PS you are not alone with the thought of looking forward to a shave, on another thread I just metioned how it actully improved my mood for the day ahead, really like a meditation!

Thanks for the warm welcome gang. My wife thinks I am crazy when I tell her I am "Cravin a Shave". Seriously though....this is a sick disorder. I now walk around all day dreamin of the next shave.

I take it I am not alone with the gang here.

Severum

So true! It's nice to have a daily chore become something to look forward to. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom