What's new

Personna 74 injectors

Just got a NOS pack of 11 in the mail.

yeah 11.. odd amount.

Anyone ever used them?

Should I be prepared to use one for weeks and weeks?

I'm skeptical, but will try one in the AM.

Can't really speak to the DE ones, out of my league price wise...

I received one Personna 74 blade as part of a Injector pass around (take a blade from the Injector, pass it on to the next participant).

I got 18 comfortable shaves from that blade, and certainly could have gotten probably a half dozen more if I really wanted too; I got bored with the extended testing and moved on.

Those 18 shaves were two passes, all pretty smooth, and no tugging from the blade at all.

P74 injector blades are fantastic. I'll be using one in various injectors for the February challenge. I had to choose between the injector and the double edge P74's for the challenge but when it came right down to it there really wasn't a contest. P74 loaded injector all the way!

I'll be using one in various injectors for the February challenge.

Won't moving it from razor to razor cause it additional dulling stress through sliding against the blade stops.

In any case, I keep hearing about this 74 magic. Are you sure this longevity thought isn't just in y'alls heads?

I've got some 7 packs of them, and also some special bonus 14 packs. The first 7 pack that I opened, the blades were solidly stuck to each other. Mineral oil didn't help. In the end, the only way to get them apart was to remove the back of the magazine, slide them out as a block, and pry them apart with the tip of a scalpel at the very corner, where it would sit against the blade stop anyway, so that dulling it wouldn't be an issue. I then slid them back in the front of the magazine one by one, hoping that they won't freeze again before I use them all. The first blade only lasted me 12 shaves, which is not all that good considering they were a dollar a blade. Maybe the others will be better.

Won't moving it from razor to razor cause it additional dulling stress through sliding against the blade stops.

In any case, I keep hearing about this 74 magic. Are you sure this longevity thought isn't just in y'alls heads?

Yes, it does damage the blade by sliding it across the blade stops. That's why I don't slide the blades across the blade stops when loading an injector razor.

The Personna 74 magic is real. that's why they sell for such insane prices.

The Personna 74 magic is real. that's why they sell for such insane prices.

I'm sorry, but they are not worth the insane prices.

I can get 7-10 shaves from a regular Injector blade. In my limited experience with just the one blade it wasn't any smoother than a typical Injector blade.

I can't comprehend how it is worth $4 each to get 20 shaves from a blade, vs. 10 shaves from a regular blade.

I'm sorry, but they are not worth the insane prices.

I can get 7-10 shaves from a regular Injector blade. In my limited experience with just the one blade it wasn't any smoother than a typical Injector blade.

I can't comprehend how it is worth $4 each to get 20 shaves from a blade, vs. 10 shaves from a regular blade.

I agree. My math is different for the DE blades:

20-30 shaves with one blade now selling at $3.55 a blade = 15 - 20 cents a shave. And the last 10 shaves are still good, but not great.

Derbys = 3 shaves at 8 cents a blade = 2.6 cents a shave

They are incredibly sharp, but I'd rather use Feathers if I want that "type" of shave. Just as good, and much, much cheaper.

There is a vendor on amazon.com selling the Personna 74 Tungsten Blade injector 11's for just under a dollar a blade plus shipping.....

http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Injector-Tungsten-Steel-Blades/dp/B003RYJ0ZM/ref=lh_ni_t_
I got my all my Personna 74s for exactly a dollar a blade including shipping on eBay a while ago, but I think that particular seller ran out of them. It's nice to try out a classic, but there's no particular reason to seek out more. Also got one five pack of the DE blades a while ago, for roughly $1 a blade, but haven't tried them yet.

Yeah, but barring the finding of a "lost warehouse full of NOS blades," that is a reasonable price to try the blade....Even if ASR/SCHICK/W-S started up production again, they would charge at least as much for a 74......

Yeah, but barring the finding of a "lost warehouse full of NOS blades," that is a reasonable price to try the blade....Even if ASR/SCHICK/W-S started up production again, they would charge at least as much for a 74......

I think $.50 is high for a DE blade. I can't see them charging $1 a blade, much less $4. Thats insanity. Even if it lasts the just plain ridiculous claim of 40 shaves a blade, I'd be better off buying blades in bulk for 10 cents a blade, using them once, and not constantly searching for new supplies.

These blades were long lasting, sure, but I haven't heard that they are sharper and smoother than modern offerings. Its like paying twice as much for a "gasoline" that goes 50% further, that math doesnt add up....

I think $.50 is high for a DE blade. I can't see them charging $1 a blade, much less $4. Thats insanity. Even if it lasts the just plain ridiculous claim of 40 shaves a blade, I'd be better off buying blades in bulk for 10 cents a blade, using them once, and not constantly searching for new supplies.

These blades were long lasting, sure, but I haven't heard that they are sharper and smoother than modern offerings. Its like paying twice as much for a "gasoline" that goes 50% further, that math doesnt add up....

The 40 shave claim is not ridiculous; I got 42 shaves out of one blade last year. They are incredibly sharp, and I guess they are smooth. There's no doubt they are a great blade, and if price were no object, I'd probably use them everyday.

But I totally agree with the insanity over the prices. Derbys are great blades for me, and at 8 cents a piece they are amazing. Feathers are great too, and they're only 25 cents piece. The math doesn't add up. I could have bought a few more at about 40 cents a piece, and the math didn't add up at that low price.

It seems like there is one buyer who is winning every auction. Who knows, maybe he's rich, or maybe he has one boar brush, one razor, uses Williams, and the P74 is his only AD?

Although for injectors, for the last year or so, the market has been different. On amazon, ebay, drugstore.com., any type of injector has cost at least 65 cents a blade or so, which makes the cost difference less. There are no 10 cent a blade injectors floating around, except maybe at an antique store or yard sale.

This makes the group buy an exceptional deal, where one can get 100 injectors for 20 cents a blade shipped. The only real issue with those injectors is that the blade case is so badly made that I literally break about half of them. In that case, the blades have to be reloaded into a metal injector case.....not fun.

Although for injectors, for the last year or so, the market has been different. On amazon, ebay, drugstore.com., any type of injector has cost at least 65 cents a blade or so, which makes the cost difference less. There are no 10 cent a blade injectors floating around, except maybe at an antique store or yard sale.

This makes the group buy an exceptional deal, where one can get 100 injectors for 20 cents a blade shipped. The only real issue with those injectors is that the blade case is so badly made that I literally break about half of them. In that case, the blades have to be reloaded into a metal injector case.....not fun.

I was referring to DE blades, I know little to nothing about injectors. But they seem more expensive, and longer lasting. So yes, the cost differential is much less.

Time to revive this old thread! I just received a 7 pack of NOS 74’s for my injector. Looking forward to trying them out. Anyone else have any experience with them? Hoping they are great, considering they were about $4 a blade!

Top Bottom