What's new

Colgate shave soap

I found this colgate shave soap when going through some things in my basement tonight. I vaguely remember buying it in the early 90's but have no idea where. Unfortunately the scent is all gone. Now the question is do I shave with it or keep it as is?

proxy.php

Use it. Soap is meant to be used, not collected. :lol::lol:

Colgate is much like Williams though, it underwent several reformulations, before being discontinued.

According to the reviews here, the last formulation before being discontinued was utterly useless.

Hopefully your puck is slightly older than that formulation. :tongue_sm

I also have a handful of pucks of Colgate that I have yet to try.

I like the colgate soaps - haven't tried the latest one before the end of production though.
The Cup Soap is - IMO - better than the Mug or Barbers soap.
It's splitting hairs really - they're all good. Exceapt maybe that last version.

Williams gets all the attention around here...always seems to be a new Williams thread. Colgate is just as bad...or just as good; depending on your point of view. The vintage versions of both soaps get rave reviews. I have some vintage Colgate that is fantastic soap:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have some pucks of the latest Colgate before the end of manufacture. It's at least as good...or bad... as the current Williams.

Williams gets all the attention around here...always seems to be a new Williams thread. Colgate is just as bad...or just as good; depending on your point of view. The vintage versions of both soaps get rave reviews. I have some vintage Colgate that is fantastic soap:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have some pucks of the latest Colgate before the end of manufacture. It's at least as good...or bad... as the current Williams.

Wow - A pound of soap!!

Greatness :thumbup1:

I have two puck sof Colgate Mug Soap sitting on my shelf, but I have never tried it (too much other stuff)...I'll try it tomorrow and see what I think, and post here as well.

I picked up several pucks of this 'cup soap' on the bay awhile ago.

It's good shaving soap - check the ingredients on the box - it should be very short - with the first ingredient being 'SOAP' - but the puck (with hints of yellow and all) looks very much like what I have. You also may have a mismatched box and soap - the box looks like the newer box.

It should shave well. Not much in the way of scent, but a good travel soap because of it's small size.

Apparently, the last reformulation effectively killed it. It is rumored to be useless.

Well I can happily report back that I got a great shave from this gem although the lather was a little airy. I didn't see any ingredients on the box but will look again in a bit.

Well I can happily report back that I got a great shave from this gem although the lather was a little airy. I didn't see any ingredients on the box but will look again in a bit.

I have two pucks of Colgate in the same boxes: bar code, but no ingredients list.

My guess is this would place them in the mid 1970's; bar codes came into usage in the mid to late 1970's.

I don't know when ingredient listing became required, but my Vintage Williams pucks of this same time period have ingredient lists. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Top Bottom