What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread III- BBQ 2011

Our third year with this thread! Can you believe it?

BBQI & BBQII

Post your BBQ and grilled successes! Got a low and slow question? post away. Gassers post at your own risk!

So WHATS COOKIN'?

Well here we go, I am just starting to learn bbq. I got a Weber Performer charcoal grill. I put it together, according to the instructions. The problem is the gas tube has a gap of open air between nozzle and and burner tube. I am quite worried to use it. I have included a pic. I called Weber, and the CSR looked at the display model in their office and said it was normal. Does anyone have experience with this?

Well here we go, I am just starting to learn bbq. I got a Weber Performer charcoal grill. I put it together, according to the instructions. The problem is the gas tube has a gap of open air between nozzle and and burner tube. I am quite worried to use it. I have included a pic. I called Weber, and the CSR looked at the display model in their office and said it was normal. Does anyone have experience with this?

It should be normal, Propane is like gasoline and needs oxygen to burn correctly. So my uneducated in these things assumption is that the notch allows the correct amount of oxygen to mix with the propane before it is burned at the tip. I am sure some chemists/welders may pipe in with a thorough explanation.

Michael

The gas comes out of a small nozzle at relativel high pressure/velocity and creates a vacuum inside the larger tube that pulls in the right amount of air.

Just pulled a 6 lb pork shoulder out of the freezer to smoke on New Year's Day. Gotta fire up the flowerpot smoker and maker sure it's still working tomorrow. :D

Learned a lot of tips/recipes from the Barbeque Pit Boys youtube channel that I want to take into the New Year with me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

Bought a cheap kettle barbeque that I want to get a lot of use out of. Infact indoors or outdoors I want to try and cook from fresh as much as possible. i.e. no ready/microwaveable meals.

cooked up some simple steaks using Kingsford briquettes, and Jack Daniels wood chips. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

I actually have been doing pretty good on cooking, but my picture taking has been terrible!

We had friends arrive on Thursday and celebrate NY with us and had a great time. This morning we started the year with some Eggs Benedict made with some Canadian Bacon that I had leftover from last year (gotta love the Food Saver) and it was a great way to start the year. Sorry no pics.

This afternoon, we are having some ribs and other goodies. It should good food for watching the games.

proxy.php

I actually have been doing pretty good on cooking, but my picture taking has been terrible!

We had friends arrive on Thursday and celebrate NY with us and had a great time. This morning we started the year with some Eggs Benedict made with some Canadian Bacon that I had leftover from last year (gotta love the Food Saver) and it was a great way to start the year. Sorry no pics.

This afternoon, we are having some ribs and other goodies. It should good food for watching the games.

Looking good Bob!

U

Utopian

This was from a couple months ago, but these are photos from my two practice runs for pulled pork for an Iowa meet-up I hosted in November. I had never made or eaten pulled pork before but it will be regular thing for me from now on!

This veal chop is one of the best I have fixed -- at least it really hit the spot! I used Dizzy Pig, Raising the Steaks and added a nice baked potato and some salad for a quick dinner.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is really very rare -- remember the meat starts out white.

Looks awesome, Bob! I love a good veal chop. Used to get them at my favorite restaurant in Encinitas, I Triulli.

This was from a couple months ago, but these are photos from my two practice runs for pulled pork for an Iowa meet-up I hosted in November. I had never made or eaten pulled pork before but it will be regular thing for me from now on!

That looks fantastic, really a great job. NOTHING is better than Iowa pork.

I grew up in Ankeny, a little ways from Des Moines. When you move somewhere else, you immediately notice the meat and dairy cant even compare.

Hope you're staying warm!

Top Bottom