What's new

how long does a straight razor last

I showed a friend my Winchester 8530 last Friday. (I know my signature says 8550, I've been trying to change it, but I can't).

Anyway, he asked how many times one has to sharpen it, and I told him once or twice a year. I said you need to strop it every time you shave, but that takes less than a minute.

He then asked how many times can you sharpen it, before you wear all the metal away?

I told him I do not know, but I'd find out.

I had an inkling that a razor will last a lifetime, but I thought I'd ask people with more experience than myself.

My guess would be generations. Look at how many razors are on here that are well over 100-150 years old and still have oodles of steel left.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It always depends on the size of the straight but let say that you don't ding it or drop it. Probably a few generations yes as you don't eat much metal to refresh the edge when the bevel is set.

Legion

Staff member
It also depends on how good your honing is. If your technique is bad you will get uneven hone wear and your razor will be worn out much more quickly. This is why there are so many strange shaped razors on ebay.

If it is maintained properly, hardly any steel would need to be removed to re-sharpen it. At only once or twice a year, it would last a very very long time. I'm not sure anyone could actually answer that quantitatively.

It can also depend on how often the particular razor is used. Many guys way back when didn't shave daily, just as it is today. Also, many of the vintage we see are in good shape for probably the simple reason that most guys back then switched over to safety razors.

It can also depend on how often the particular razor is used. Many guys way back when didn't shave daily, just as it is today. Also, many of the vintage we see are in good shape for probably the simple reason that most guys back then switched over to safety razors.

True, but some were possibly owned by barbers and used daily on multiple customers.

Thays a good quiestion, I can't answer it though, though I suppose thinking about it, a de could last a eternity, a straight will I suppose give up the ghost some day, sorry to go off post, but the question got me thinking a bit.

Thays a good quiestion, I can't answer it though, though I suppose thinking about it, a de could last a eternity, a straight will I suppose give up the ghost some day, sorry to go off post, but the question got me thinking a bit.

Actually, a DE razor has a much, much shorter effective life than a straight, because for the DE to work, you need access to a fresh supply of sharp DE blades, each of which wears out after 5-6 shaves. Do you honestly think that DE blades to fit your Gillette will still be made 100 years from now? Highly unlikely.

Ok, so maybe you (or the DE's future owner) will stockpile blades when the end of DE blade production is approaching, kind of like the people who bought up cases and cases of that Polaroid instant film when they stopped making it. Still, that invites a few questions -- (1) how many cases of DE blades are you willing to buy and store to keep your razor in working condition when the blades go out of production and (2) how long do you think these DE blades will last before they too succumb to rust or other forms of deterioration? Difficult to say, I know.

Anyway, the point is mostly academic, but I know that if the lights go off and the pudding hits the fan, I'm grabbing my family, my guns, my Krugeraands and my STRAIGHT razors, thank you very much.

Actually, a DE razor has a much, much shorter effective life than a straight, because for the DE to work, you need access to a fresh supply of sharp DE blades, each of which wears out after 5-6 shaves. Do you honestly think that DE blades to fit your Gillette will still be made 100 years from now? Highly unlikely.

Ok, so maybe you (or the DE's future owner) will stockpile blades when the end of DE blade production is approaching, kind of like the people who bought up cases and cases of that Polaroid instant film when they stopped making it. Still, that invites a few questions -- (1) how many cases of DE blades are you willing to buy and store to keep your razor in working condition when the blades go out of production and (2) how long do you think these DE blades will last before they too succumb to rust or other forms of deterioration? Difficult to say, I know.

Anyway, the point is mostly academic, but I know that if the lights go off and the pudding hits the fan, I'm grabbing my family, my guns, my Krugeraands and my STRAIGHT razors, thank you very much.

What is a Krugeraand?

A South African gold coin, first minted in 1967 to help market South African gold, according to the first thing google came up with.

so long as you dont chip it and have to remove metal, a little edge refreshing from time to time wont wear way steel in any noticable way for hundreds and hundreds of years of daily shaving

Legion

Staff member

It's possible. The same blade that fits into my new Merker fits into my Gillette double ring, and that is 106 years old.

True, but some were possibly owned by barbers and used daily on multiple customers.

Well if you're grandfather was a barber, then surely, you should know the answer to this question....? (inflection indicating a tag question, whilst dropping the interrogative fragment formed with the auxiliary verb "don't you") or modal verb shouldn't you?

Sorry... I have an exam in grammar, I am now testing everything I see. [present progressive]

But seriously, do you have any idea as to what the answer to my question might be?

I think it all depends on whether or not the razor is ever dropped or dinged. That's gotta take a lot of steel off. Otherwise they could last for hundreds of years!

Well as I use both a straight and a de, and have been using a de now for many years, and stockpiling blades, that problem will not effect me, plus as de shaving is more popular, I can't see blades drying up.

Too many variables I think to give an accurate answer. Even if you only had one straight that you used everyday and honed it 3 or 4 times a year and we heavy handed with it, I think it's still last you quite a few years. If you look after it then it could easily last 2 or 3 generations.

As said before. If you don't chip, or dull the razor in any way that requires rebeveling, it would take thousands, maybe tens of thousands of touch up honings on a finishing stone to take a 5/8" razor down to unusable.

That said, I've found a LOT of vintage razors worn down to the nubs either at the whole length or just at the toe. This is the result of overenthusiastic honing and/or the damage we're assuming you've avoided (chips, etc).

Top Bottom