What's new

CCCP Russian Razors

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=174974

I scored these in a couple of auctions on eBay about a month ago. They both shave well. One is a little darker than the other. The darker-colored one weighs 64.6 g and the lighter-colored one weighs 65.4 g. I usually set them to 7.

Can anyone translate the writing on the case?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Mr.Justice Sir,

I am happy to say that the CCCP and the anvil were the old slogan for the Soviet Union.:lol:

Aint got a freakin clue what the rest says.

I can tell you what it says but not what it means!

It says: Britvennbii Apparat "IDEAL"

So at least we know the name of the razor (IDEAL).

G.

See the 9 in a circle? I believe that is the price. The word to the right of it appears to be "rub," abbreviation for rubles.

And we can place the date somewhere prior to 1991, when the CCCP (actually, its SSSR) ceased to exist.

Last edited:
I can tell you what it says but not what it means!

It says: Britvennbii Apparat "IDEAL"

So at least we know the name of the razor (IDEAL).

G.

Think I got it.

Britvennbi is Russian for Brittania, so I'm wagering it means Brittania Metal- 93% tin, 5% antimony, 2% copper. It's a cheap alternative to nickel silver, which is 60% silver, 20% nickel and 20% zinc, which is far more expensive.

Seeing those razors makes me want to break out in song.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxygsLGHSQ[/YOUTUBE]

In America, you shave with a razor. In Soviet Russia, razor shaves YOU!

See the 9 in a circle? I believe that is the price. The word to the right of it appears to be "rub," abbreviation for rubles.

And we can place the date somewhere prior to 1991, when the CCCP (actually, its SSSR) ceased to exist.

I have no idea about the razors but with military binoculars made behind the iron curtain, and with firearms a number in a circle designated a country of origin. Others were numbers in a triangle etc. Bulgaria was a circle with a 10, East Germany a square with a circle. So this may indicate actual country of manufacture??

Last edited:
I suspect Britvennbii Apparat = Razor Blade Apparatus or Razor Blade Holder

The word Britve in Russian translates to Razor Blade. I think :001_smile

I have no idea about the razors but with military binoculars made behind the iron curtain, and with firearms a number in a circle designated a country of origin. Others were numbers in a triangle etc. Bulgaria was a circle with a 10, East Germany a square with a circle. So this may indicate actual country of manufacture??

I checked some of my references-no 9 in circle. Poland is 11 in circle;bulgaria is 10 in one or two circles,25 in circle,21 in two circles, East Germany k3 in circle;hungary 1 or B in Circle, Romania 6 in circle or arrow in triangle etc etc. But this was for military items-binocs, guns, bayonets. However, most production in the USSR was primarily military with consumer items really only what was left over so I imagine that the 9 in circle could be a mark of origin-country or factory.

I suspect Britvennbii Apparat = Razor Blade Apparatus or Razor Blade Holder

The word Britve in Russian translates to Razor Blade. I think :001_smile

In Russian, " Britva" = razor, but, by implication, a straight.

Britevniy Aparat means "razor-like device" or, simply, razor.

Wow! Thanks for all the information guys! I wish I could figure out what the date code is on the razor. All I see is a bird etching similar to the one on the case itself.

Since it seems like your getting bits and peices I will save the day and have SWMBO translate tonight as she is russian. And if you ever decide to part with one I'd love to have it.

In Russian, " Britva" = razor, but, by implication, a straight.

As i understand from my MIL when I asked her about her father and uncles shaving regimens, she translated straight razor as "dangerous razor" as did my wife.

whether or not that's correct I have no idea. edit: i think they are right for once!! :laugh:

my research got me the following terminology

double-edged razor — обоюдоострая бритва
dull razor — тупая бритва
electric razor — электрическая бритва
keen / sharp razor — острая бритва
safety razor — безопасная бритва
single-edged razor — односторонняя бритва
straight razor — опасная бритва
to hone / set / sharpen a razor — затачивать бритву

By the way, there is a great russian movie called The Barber of Siberia Сибирский цирюльник if you have chance to see it i recommend it. it uses shaving in its loosest terms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom