What's new

First shave with a 106 year old razor.

Last month I secured myself a 1904 Gillette Single ring, cleaned it up but just didn't make it into my rotation until today. I have to say I was surprised with it, got a BBS shave with it. Although I still prefer the feel of a New to it, there was just something I thought was really cool about shaving with a razor that old. I was thinking since it was one of the earliest DE razors, for some reason I thought it would've been more aggressive.

Way cool. It is great to be able to use something so old. It creates a great connection with the past.

Can you post some pictures?

That's pretty cool.

My oldest razor is a '51 Super speed, and I always thought it was cool to shave with an almost 60 year old razor. Over 100 years is something else entirely.

The only thing I can think of that would be cooler than using an over 100 year old razor, would be giving it to my son for his first shave.

Show me a cartridge razor that you think could stand that kind of use.

Way cool. It is great to be able to use something so old. It creates a great connection with the past.

Can you post some pictures?

I've been too lazy to photograph my stuff lately as I was going to put what I've gotten lately into the monthly acquisition thread. I got it off fleabay and the pics from there will have to do, and they're probably better than what I'd take anyway. Th razor is in fantastic shape. No cracks anywhere and only a few small dots of brassing on it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The blades are dated at 1905 but the serial number on the razor I believe puts it at 1904.

Ah you are correct it's an '05.. Oh well in a few more months it'll be a 106 year old razor :lol: So then I guess the blades are accurate on it. And it's possible I have no idea what the original case on an '05 single ring looks like.

1904 or 1905, still it's great to use something that old for the morning shave. The oldest I've shaved with is a Gem Junior Bar model which is apparently from 1907. I have a Gillette Single Ring that's definitely from 1908, but haven't used it yet.

I feel a poll coming on. Oldest razor you've actually used is from what decade?

I started with my first DE a month ago; 1917 Aristocrat,
It was my Grandpas and has been passed down to me from my Dad;

Shaves awesome after 93 years, now I have a 55 BlueTip and a 40s SS but I can't seem to put this one away.. :blush:

Wow that's two amazing looking razors!

I've never seen one of those old Aristocrats before!

And that single ring! What a perfect looking condition for a 106 year old razor!

Top Bottom