What's new

What size knot for a vintage ever-ready?

I recently purchased a vintage Ever-Ready 100 as my first shaving brush. I washed it thoroughly and have used it twice now and it's shedding. It's not a big deal because I paid about $6 for it. I am going to order and replace the knot in it and need some input as to the recommended size I should go with. I know there are a few of you on here that have restored these and any help you can give would be great. I am a helicopter mechanic and metalsmith by trade so I feel confident in my ability to do the job right.

My guess would be that its a 20mm knot. Bes thing to do tho would be to cut it our and sand the inside of the hole and measure it. I use a 6inch caliper that I still have from when I worked on the ship

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The one I had was 20mm also...

I would suggest taking out the knot and measuring it to be sure...

I recently picked up a C40 which looks very similar to yours. I removed the knot and it measures 20mm. Recommend that you remove your knot to be sure.

I have ordered a 22mm knot from TGN and will widen the hole when it arrives.

I recently picked up a C40 which looks very similar to yours. I removed the knot and it measures 20mm. Recommend that you remove your knot to be sure.

I have ordered a 22mm knot from TGN and will widen the hole when it arrives.

Follow this fellows example. That's the best course of action imho.

I have a number of Ever-Ready handles that I re-knotted with TGN Finest Badger knots. I seem to prefer the Finest over the silvertips because I like a stiffer, more resilient, type knot. I recently ordered three of the 22mm Finest Badger, with the shorter loft. I think the shorter knot Finest, replicate very closely the knots in my Rooney 3/1 and my Truefit & Hill 3/1. I would consider ordering the TGN Finest with the short knot for your #100. Call Tony at TGN, he's a great man to deal with and he will not stear you wrong.

I also noticed the glass mug in your picture. I cannot make out the lettering on the mug. Some time ago I asked if Ever-Ready made any mugs with their name on them. Is that an Ever-Ready mug? If so, it is the only one I have ever seen or heard of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom