What's new

I think I actually enjoy less dense brushes...

So I have purchased a rediculous amount of brushes in the last few weeks (eight to be exact). I have a few Simpson two-bands, a pre-fix Simpson PJ1 in super, a couple TGN silvertip knots, a Wee Scot, and two Vulfix brushes, a 660 small and a 374 both in super badger.

I am having a badger hair melt down...:blushing:

I honestly do not like my Simpson two-bands, I want so much to love them but I can't. I think they are too scrathy and stiff for me, I can't get passed it.

I recently picked up a PJ1 pre-fix in super and really like it. I think it is because of the fan shape and the softer feel. I keep hearing of these two-band revalations but I can't make mine come to fruition. I think it is the spend more get more misconseption that is coming through.

Basically this is what I can tell you after just a year of wet shaving. If you find a brush, a cream, a soap, a blade, or a razor that works for you, stick with it. No matter what everyone else is using, who cares!!! Use what works for you.:thumbup:

I agree with you.
Brush fads come and go.
Sheer number of posts don't change what's essentially an opinion.
I have a range of brushes with many different characteristics.
My goal is to be skilled with my technique.

Density is always a good thing... always.

You must be ill. Don't worry. I'm sure the use of a dense shave brush will cure you. Go on, try it.

Don't give up on the two bands just yet. Sometimes they can take a week or two to nicely soften up and break in. With 8 brushes walking through the door in such a short period of time, they may not have gotten sufficient use yet. In the end, if you don't like them, put them up on the BST, there should be no shortage of takers.

Don't give up on the two bands just yet. Sometimes they can take a week or two to nicely soften up and break in. With 8 brushes walking through the door in such a short period of time, they may not have gotten sufficient use yet. In the end, if you don't like them, put them up on the BST, there should be no shortage of takers.

+1 on breaking in the Simpson. Try lathering on a textured bowl or rubbing it on something with an irregular but not sharp texture to it.

I hate to admit it but even I have a couple medium/low density brushes I like to use once and a while. They are very pleasant in their own way....though only in an escapist sort of way from the density monster most of my collection is :001_rolle:lol:

I hate to admit it but even I have a couple medium/low density brushes I like to use once and a while. They are very pleasant in their own way....though only in an escapist sort of way from the density monster most of my collection is :001_rolle:lol:

I have posted before that a floppy brush can be very underrated. My Simpson Milk Churn is the floppiest brush I own and it is also the hands down champ when it comes to lathering MWF.

don't give up on the two bands just yet. Sometimes they can take a week or two to nicely soften up and break in. With 8 brushes walking through the door in such a short period of time, they may not have gotten sufficient use yet. In the end, if you don't like them, put them up on the bst, there should be no shortage of takers.

+2

I came to the same conclusion, too. There was a while when 2 band, super dense brush fever was at its peak. I really fell for it and tried a bunch of 2 bands.
Then I realized that I actually don't like super dense brushes after trying a lot of them.

So I have purchased a rediculous amount of brushes in the last few weeks (eight to be exact). I have a few Simpson two-bands, a pre-fix Simpson PJ1 in super, a couple TGN silvertip knots, a Wee Scot, and two Vulfix brushes, a 660 small and a 374 both in super badger.

I am having a badger hair melt down...:blushing:

I honestly do not like my Simpson two-bands, I want so much to love them but I can't. I think they are too scrathy and stiff for me, I can't get passed it.

I recently picked up a PJ1 pre-fix in super and really like it. I think it is because of the fan shape and the softer feel. I keep hearing of these two-band revalations but I can't make mine come to fruition. I think it is the spend more get more misconseption that is coming through.

Basically this is what I can tell you after just a year of wet shaving. If you find a brush, a cream, a soap, a blade, or a razor that works for you, stick with it. No matter what everyone else is using, who cares!!! Use what works for you.:thumbup:

As others have said, it will take at least a few uses until your new brushes perform at their best. Added to that, there will also be something of a learning curve with a new style of brush. I'm sure that they are great tools, so please don't give up on them too soon.
In the worst case, there is always the possibility to sell/trade an unwanted brush away on B/S/T (or you could shoot me a PM :001_cool:)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
During this November Cade Challenge, it has become very apparent to me that the Simpson "56", which has lesser density than the custom Eagle G3, performed much better at lathering than the simpson Eagle G3 on a puck of Cade.

My conclusion: both dense brushes and not-so-dense brushes are essential to your collection. :yesnod:

During this November Cade Challenge, it has become very apparent to me that the Simpson "56", which has lesser density than the custom Eagle G3, performed much better at lathering than the simpson Eagle G3 on a puck of Cade.

My conclusion: both dense brushes and not-so-dense brushes are essential to your collection. :yesnod:

And that, Sir, to me is the only logical, sensible and gentleman conclusion in this debate!
:badger::badger::badger:

My Shavemac 177 has gotten more play time recently than the other denser brushes like the Duke and the Rooney so I'm thinking maybe a BK8 as the next brush.

Too much density is not always a good thing.

this has also been my experience. my eagle G3 is without a doubt the densest brush i've ever used. the feel is great but in terms of raw performance and ease of lathering, far more humble and less dense brushes do a better overall job.

at some point, every advantage becomes a liability. softness becomes a lack of structure, density becomes reluctant lathering and reduced loft becomes a brillo pad. the challenge is to find balance that favors the characteristic you personally favor and then hold on to that enjoyment and not get too seduced by the race for "thickest, lowest, densest, rarest".

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I've pretty much loved every brush I've ever owned but it is true that those with exceptional "Flow-Thru" have performed the best. There is something to be said for squeezing out that nice dollop of ultra hydrated creamy goodness that gets trapped in dense brushes to apply by hand on your final pass however. If a caveman would have used one of these tools, his response most likely would have been... " Hmmmm.... Brush... Good!"

Hey, YMMV! Everyone has their own preferences. I love dense brushes with tons of backbone, but other might find them too scritchy or that they hold too much lather in the knot. Different strokes for different folks! :001_smile

I think that's one of the best part of B&B - trying all sorts of different stuff until you find what works for you!

I'm on the same boat. Dense, short lofted with tons of backbones are not my cup of tea, and I gave them a fair chance.

In addition, I have very sensitive skin...and scrubby brushes tend to irritate my skin which it is detrimental to having the best shave possible.

I have posted before that a floppy brush can be very underrated. My Simpson Milk Churn is the floppiest brush I own and it is also the hands down champ when it comes to lathering MWF.

I remember your thread and I think I said I prefer dense brushes even for WMF. If I did not explicitly say it then, I'll say it now. I'm more used to using dense brushes, so my technique suffers when I use something with a medium or low density.

Top Bottom