What's new

Issues with Feather Blades

I have been Wet Shaving for about just over 1 month now and currently have a Merkur HD and also a Merkur Futur. I have been using both, and trying different blades in each, to try and see what provides the best shave.

The first time I shaved, I used the Futur dialed in at 1.5 with a Feather Blade, cut the crap out of my face. Proceded with same blade and razer for next 2 shaves, same thing, cut my face up.

The 4th shave, I tried the HD with a Merkur blade, not one cut. Next shave, tried the Futur with a Dorco ST blade, not one cut and a great shave.

6 Shaves later, i tried the HD with a Feather Blade again, cut the crap out of my face! What is with these feather blades? Everybody raves about them but everytime i use them I get cut up.

I think they are very good blades, as my cheacks get a very close shave with just one pass, but when I get to my neck....its like a horror show.

Is there any other blades that people recommend I should try? I have tried Feathers, Merkur and Dorco ST's.

Thanks

They are so sharp and unforgiving that even the slightest pressure can cause cuts. I've found that any mistake in my technique (angle, pressure, lather, prep, etc) is amplified with feathers. It could be any of those things or it could just be that they aren't the blade for you. Every blade doesn't work for every face.

I'd take a break from them and come back to them in a few months. If they still cut up your face, they likely don't work for you.

I have been Wet Shaving for about just over 1 month now and currently have a Merkur HD and also a Merkur Futur. I have been using both, and trying different blades in each, to try and see what provides the best shave.

The first time I shaved, I used the Futur dialed in at 1.5 with a Feather Blade, cut the crap out of my face. Proceded with same blade and razer for next 2 shaves, same thing, cut my face up.

The 4th shave, I tried the HD with a Merkur blade, not one cut. Next shave, tried the Futur with a Dorco ST blade, not one cut and a great shave.

6 Shaves later, i tried the HD with a Feather Blade again, cut the crap out of my face! What is with these feather blades? Everybody raves about them but everytime i use them I get cut up.

I think they are very good blades, as my cheacks get a very close shave with just one pass, but when I get to my neck....its like a horror show.

Is there any other blades that people recommend I should try? I have tried Feathers, Merkur and Dorco ST's.

Thanks

Lots of guy shave had pretty much that experience with Feathers. Put them away in a drawer. Get yourself a sample pack of various blades from one of the vendors here, Westcoast shaving or Dridiot. I've dealt with both and both are great. Sample lots of blades till you find one that works It seems that the blue and the red Israeli blades are among the best. Both are great blades.

A few months from now, say 6 or 9 or 12, try a Feather again. Cork it first. Then try it. You may like it better. Or you may not. if you don't, trade them for a blade you do like. You should be able to trade at a premium say 75 Feathers for 100 of something else or something like that.

For whatever it's worth, there are guys who can't get more than 2 shave out of a Feather before it starts to cut them up. I'm one of them. After 1 or 2 shaves I'll cork the blade. That helps a great deal with Feathers.

Maybe there's been a dip in quality as a result of a more economic man' process> I just get the impression they don't last very long. There's only one thing more dangerous than a sharp blade... a blunt one.

shave the feathers for last, only pros use them. after you become fully comformtable with wetshaving then try the feathers and be careful.

I would agree to save the Feathers for last.

I do not have an issue with them as far as cutting my face up. My only issue with them is that I can get only two or three shaves with them before they irritate me so FOR ME they become too costly. But, everyone is different.

I would try the following blades: Personna Red Pack, and Gillette Russian Yellows.

I don't get good shaves with Feather blades either. Before I discovered vintage blades, Red IP's were all I used.

I use wilkinson classics -$1 a pack or get the
wilkinson blades from walmart. I haven't seen
a negative comment about them so far.

I never had a problem with Feathers (except that they were a bit rough the first shave), but for some crazy reason, Iridiums cut the hell out of me.
Anyway, I put them aside for a later date to try again, but now I shave with straights.

I guess I'll never know.....:biggrin1:

Thanks

I probably sound like a broken record, but the best blades I have ever used are the Personna Prep Blades (medical grade). I can get about seven shaves out of each blade and I find consistency from blade to blade.

My big concern is that the next blade shaves just like the last one and I figure that if they are designed for hospital use that these prep blades are as good as it gets. I get them at Robbins Instruments (100 blades for $35 including shipping or 35 cents a blade).

Since you have only used one Feather (I have never tried this brand) I wonder if you just got a bad blade, or perhaps it was mailed to you along with other items and it may be warped. There may be extenuating circumstances so if you have more than one you owe it to yourself to try at least one more. If they cut you up, then you gave the Feather an honest evaluation.

That's it I am sticking with Merkurs. They do the job and barely cut me if at all.
+1. I get a good consistent shave with Merkurs. I found that Feathers would give me a good first shave, but chew me up on the second shave. It was fun experimenting with different blades in the beginning, but the last six months I'm down to only two. Merkur blades in my HD and Personna Red Pack in my Gillettes.

I only use Feather blades in mild razor or adjustables like the Gillette's and the Progress.
I usually dial them down 1 to 2 setting from regular blades.
I had a loaner Futur and I couldn't get it to work for me, even on 1 it shaved like a over clocked Gillette.

Thanks for all your comments. I will try some other blades out and see what works for me. But for now, the feathers are in the back of the drawer.

I have tried Merkur and Dorco and didn't have any cuts, but I felt the blades pulled a little on the hairs compared to the feathers. I hope i can find a blade that meets somewhere in the middle.

I use wilkinson classics -$1 a pack or get the
wilkinson blades from walmart. I haven't seen
a negative comment about them so far.

I don't like Wilkinsons. I find Sharks are a much better blade and a lot cheaper. You can find em for as much as 8 cents a blade on the bay. They are my go to blade. I don't like feathers either. Why pay so much for a blade that you only use once or twice?

The problem is that you used them on some of your first shaves and happened to use two of the worst blades (Merkur and Dorco) ever made in between...

Stick to the green circles for the next several weeks and then head for the black diamonds.

I'm only a few months into my DE shaving and have to say that I havent found a blade to equal feathers.

The first shave can be harsh but I gat 4 or 5 good shaves out of a blade with my Futur set at 2 or my DE89

I have to be careful and be aware of the blade but the sharpness of the blade really works for me YMMV

I don't like Wilkinsons. I find Sharks are a much better blade and a lot cheaper. You can find em for as much as 8 cents a blade on the bay. They are my go to blade. I don't like feathers either. Why pay so much for a blade that you only use once or twice?

What the heck do you have for facial hair that you can only use a blade once or twice? Steel wool?

oddly enough i find feathers unusable in my gillette rocket but super smooth in my red tip (a more aggressive razor), odd eh?

Top Bottom