What's new

The 60's ~ The last innocent generation?

Yup. I was there. Graduated high school with the Class of '69, went to Woodstock (bought tickets, of course)... I can remember a lot of it, but if I put my eyeglasses down anywhere other than on the mouse-pad, I'll end-up spending an hour looking for them. And no, even though it's past 10PM, I don't know where my kids are.

I remember them all.....maybe not a good thing?

The music, party lines, the TV shows, my parents glued to a B&W during the Cuban missile crisis, boys in GTO's, everyone knew the latest dance, (Dick Clark is looking very ill these days), teasing my hair to ten times it's size. Dad had the push button transmission, Mom a used black 57 Ford stick. They forgot Drive-In theaters. Now where'd I put my go-go boots?

Sue do you remember that the GTOs had red thin lined Tiger Paws for tires. We used to call the Drive-Inns - Zipper Villages.:blushing:
You're right Tim, Haight/Ashbury wasn't very innocent :punk: Especially for a kid from Kansas :cowboy:
Still play Janis Joplin's greatest hits CD. Anybody remember the bands - Moby Grape or the Strawberry Alarm Clock :huh:

:001_005: :001_005: :001_005:

Alan,
Oh, I don't remember them. I do remember a girl in high school who had a pink Mustang with a white rag top. Talk about envious.

But wait, look what Ford may release in 2008.......the Taurus may have to go.

:biggrin: Sue

What a great time that was to be growing up! It was just terrific. I graduated from high school in '65 and things had gotten more serious by then with the war in Viet Nam. But it was still a completely different time. People had respect and showed courtesy. Don't see much of either any more!

Bruce

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Interesting thought ... personally, I'd peg the 1850s as the last time we could call things 'innocent' ... by which we mean (i presume) non-cynical and not bogged down with the unpleasant truths of how dangerous things like free love and Pintos can be!

Sue do you remember that the GTOs had red thin lined Tiger Paws for tires. We used to call the Drive-Inns - Zipper Villages.:blushing:
You're right Tim, Haight/Ashbury wasn't very innocent :punk: Especially for a kid from Kansas :cowboy:
Still play Janis Joplin's greatest hits CD. Anybody remember the bands - Moby Grape or the Strawberry Alarm Clock :huh:

:001_005: :001_005: :001_005:

I love Strawberry Alarm Clock!

And I'm from Kansas too!

We're pretty cool guys, huh?

I agree, I guess I'm not following this.

The 50's generation waxed poetic about the 50's. The 60's generation waxed poetic about the 60's. Ditto for every other generation. In 10 years I'll put on my rose colored glasses and wax poetic about the 90's and in 20-30 I'll wax poetic about the 00's.

Those were the days, huh? Thanks for the memories, Sue! None of that American Iron for me though. Even back then, I was interested in the "T's"...My first car was a '61 Triumph TR3A. This isn't it (no decent pics left), but this is what it looked like...gotta love "Powder Blue"!! :cool:

I graduated high school in '65, so I was in the middle of this.
Not at all bad, but a few rough spots personally, Viet Nam in '69 as an example.
All in all, a significant decade that I am pleased to remember, as opposed to some of me early baby-boomer colleagues who may not be able to remember a bunch of it. :smile:

Having entered this world in 1959, the '60s is the first decade that I remember.

I had a Beatle Jacket when I was 5 (I always preferred the 'Stones though)

England won the World Cup in 1966

Vietnam was always on the news, even over here

There was the Aden crisis in '67

Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were American news that I remember

But you could still leave your back door open without being burgled

Stones,Motown,Stax,Dylan,Hendrix,Small Faces,Who,Kinks :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was seven when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. We were sent home from school and I remember it was on every T.V. station. Every T.V. station being 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.

Top Bottom