What's new

What leaves a better edge?

Newspaper, graphite, chalk, or CrO2?

Also why do people use the X-stoke while stropping? I have a 3 inch strop, should I still do the X pattern?

Last edited:
Both newspaper and CrO are well known polishers. It would depend on the circumstances and the blade. If you're talking a touch-up CrO is more aggressive. I've never understood how graphite has any sharpening qualities since it's a lubricant. I'd love to be educated on that one. I've never heard of chalk being used for sharpening other than fabric strops which were made in the old days with a chalking process. In that form it's a very mild abrasive.

Both newspaper and CrO are well known polishers. It would depend on the circumstances and the blade. If you're talking a touch-up CrO is more aggressive. I've never understood how graphite has any sharpening qualities since it's a lubricant. I'd love to be educated on that one. I've never heard of chalk being used for sharpening other than fabric strops which were made in the old days with a chalking process. In that form it's a very mild abrasive.
You have to be patient: ~200 million years and some pressure, and then poof!...all the cutting power you need!

Legion

Staff member
I use CrO as my final polish. I was very surprised how much difference there was between the edge it left and just a 12k. I have not tried newspaper, but I have never had to. That has always seemed like an emergency solution to me.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What you use is a preference, really. I do not like the edge finished on a newspaper. I also do not like a barber hone. Natural stones are better IMO (YMMV). The higher the grit, the smoother the edge (well, that makes sense...).

I'm not closing the door on pastes as I know they can give you a very nice edge.

Why the X pattern? I'm not 100% sure as I never seen a 3" strop. I think strops use to be 2.5" wide maximum.

I see. I have some pastes that according to Larry, will last me a year. Then I have to buy more :thumbdown I really like the edge that I got off my CrO2, but, call me cheap, I don't want to buy more!

I need to save up to fuel my SRAD and I can't do that if I spend on pastes! :tongue_sm

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The x pattern was used because many hones/stops were not 3" in width. Doing an x stroke would maximize the amount of exposure of the edge to the instrument being used. You do not need to use it with a 3" strop, but I would suggest trying to learn it.

I always purchased 3" strops and hones when I started out, but found that I prefer narrower hones and strops when I learned the craft.

Instead of relying on the posts here, why not try newspaper for yourself and compare it to the pastes? Also, Dovo has a white strop paste that is good for every day stropping according to some guys (I wouldn't know)...

Better for me does not mean better for you. One of the great things about straights is you can decide what edges you like and shave with nothing else.

The best thing you can do is try different finishes and decide which you like.

Top Bottom