What's new

Difference between Gillette #15 and #20?

Is there any difference between the British made Gillette #15 and #20 other than the box? Looks like the same razor to me, with the flat baseplate stamped Brit. pat. 400,621.

No. 15 (pictures from Achim's site):
proxy.php

...and No. 20:
proxy.php

I don't have either but one difference I can see right off is that the #20 has tabs on the ends of the center bar, the #15 doesn't.

I don't have either but one difference I can see right off is that the #20 has tabs on the ends of the center bar, the #15 doesn't.

OK, didn't notice that. So they are not the same razor. I am thinking of getting my first open comb and was thinking of #15, a double ring, a New, #77... Lots of choices!

i think #15 is milder to me

Super Adjustable on 6 loaded with an Astra SP has been my most aggressive shave so far (and one of my best). I've got the impression the #15 can give a very close shave though? I've got a pretty light beard so I don't think I need a more aggressive shaver but an open comb is very tempting. :blushing:

I think the TTO knob is solid/closed on the #15.

Maybe that would explain the weight difference. I just realized the #15 is listed as weighing 76g (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Numbered_British_Gillette_Information) whereas the #20 is 71g.

If the information is correct, my logic says the #20 has a more head heavy balance.

Edit:
i think #15 is milder to me

I'm wondering if it's because of the different balance (the #15 not being as head heavy as the #20)?

Last edited:
So it seems my first barber pole Aristocrat will be a silver plated #15 from 1936 then. :tongue_sm

Hopefully I didn't get carried away with RAD too much here (SWMBO will understand, won't she?!) but it's rare to find such beautifully illustrative pictures as Achim's on eBay, so I bid with confidence:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250697045844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And I haven't even received my #77 set yet - I get to compare my first ever open combs head to head soon, can't wait! :thumbup:

Congrats on the purchase of the silver #15.

I was hoping to pick it up to keep my rhodium #15 company but you just beat me to it.

You will love it.

Congrats on the purchase of the silver #15.

I was hoping to pick it up to keep my rhodium #15 company but you just beat me to it.

You will love it.

Thanks. I never have any luck with the rhodium ones (always outbid) so I'm happy I at least got a silver plated #15. It was close - my browser was so slow all of a sudden that my bid barely got through in time.

I was expecting more of a "bidding war" but I guess people are mostly after the rhodium plated ones. I hope this will be worth the price as a shaver, that's what counts in the end!

So it seems my first barber pole Aristocrat will be a silver plated #15 from 1936 then. :tongue_sm

Hopefully I didn't get carried away with RAD too much here (SWMBO will understand, won't she?!) but it's rare to find such beautifully illustrative pictures as Achim's on eBay, so I bid with confidence:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250697045844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And I haven't even received my #77 set yet - I get to compare my first ever open combs head to head soon, can't wait! :thumbup:

He is on the way to you - hope you are happy with this beauty. Now is a rhodium one available.

I believe they are the same in different cases. These wings at the center bar comes late 30s / early 40s on the #15 too:

He is on the way to you - hope you are happy with this beauty.

Wow, that was quick - thanks! :thumbup1:

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait...

I believe they are the same in different cases. These wings at the center bar comes late 30s / early 40s on the #15 too:

If this is so, where does the weight difference come from? On the picture I attached from your site it says the #20 is 71g. Were some production batches heavier and some lighter then?

Last edited:
Wow, that was quick - thanks! :thumbup1:

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait...

If this is so, where does the weight difference come from? On the picture I attached from your site it says the #20 is 71g. Were some production batches heavier and some lighter then?

Hard to say. Outside they are identical. The difference is inside the handle:

Not completely on topic but rather than create a new thread I will ask the question here.

I have noticed that some #15s have markings on the handle (i.e. Gillette diamond and patent numbers) and others have no markings at all.

Is there a difference between those with markings and those without other than the markings themselves? Do they represent different year of manufacture?

Not completely on topic but rather than create a new thread I will ask the question here.

I have noticed that some #15s have markings on the handle (i.e. Gillette diamond and patent numbers) and others have no markings at all.

Is there a difference between those with markings and those without other than the markings themselves? Do they represent different year of manufacture?

Don't know if this answers your questions, but have you seen this thread? There seems to be at least six different #15's: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114130

To me it looks like the main differences are the plating and the shape of the center bar.

Top Bottom