What's new

If you could design your own DE...?

If you were a skilled precision engineer with access to the necessary lathe, milling machine etc and you decided to build your own design of safety razor, what features would you incorporate and what would you leave out? What say you?
John.

I would love to try a cross between a straight and a DE. Essentially, the DE head would be rotated so that handle meets it at the blunt edge of the blade. By doing that, you could use one edge of the DE blade on one side of the face and then use the flip side going to the other side of your face. That would make using your dominant hand much easier for the whole shave.

I would love to try a cross between a straight and a DE. Essentially, the DE head would be rotated so that handle meets it at the blunt edge of the blade. By doing that, you could use one edge of the DE blade on one side of the face and then use the flip side going to the other side of your face. That would make using your dominant hand much easier for the whole shave.

That is a great idea!!
John.

I'd want nice, non-metal bodies.

Something like: real horn, tortoise shell, fossil ivory, rose wood, fossil marble, or something like that. Matching brushes optional.

A textured fossil ivory body would look great.

We should see if EJ would made that the B&B Exclusive for 2007!

Mine would be an open-comb slant Merkur head with an Ebony turned handle.

Teflon coating on the underside of the combs to keep them from getting gummed up with stubble.

Mine would be basically a classic Gillette DE. Something like a Aristocrat, Fat Boy, Adjustable (maybe some hybrid of all of them) All the old Gillettes are really nice looking razors. Not sure if I would make it adjustable or not. And I would probably go with a silver finish.

My razor would be so well made it would almost seem indestructable. Although the old Gillette's certainly hold up very well. So it would be much like those.

A beautiful carrying case would also be great. Velvet lined, real fancy.

Mine would be basically a classic Gillette DE. Something like a Aristocrat, Fat Boy, Adjustable (maybe some hybrid of all of them) All the old Gillettes are really nice looking razors. Not sure if I would make it adjustable or not. And I would probably go with a silver finish.

My razor would be so well made it would almost seem indestructable. Although the old Gillette's certainly hold up very well. So it would be much like those.

A beautiful carrying case would also be great. Velvet lined, real fancy.

Yes, Christoph, you and I are on the same wavelength! I was thinking of a sort of reintroduction of an old Gillette too, maybe as you said, incorporating design and features from all.

I was thinking that maybe I should introduce a rule to this idea: it should be only that which is technically possible today, otherwise, no expense limits!

The above photo of the Wilkinson reminds me of an old Wilkinson Sword razor I had that was made in the late 1980s. It was actually a cartridge system, but it was very nice and metalic looking. But I assume the Wilkinson pictured here is a DE. Very nice.

Maybe some other company other than Gillette will take a risk and make a DE. Maybe Wilkinson or Schick

proxy.php

That style handle, out of real tortoise shell, gold plated adjustable TTO head (a la Gillette).

I'd update the '50 Gold Aristocrat. Use modern technology to refine the appearance of the head slightly and then do a major update the handle appearance. On the originals, the head is beautiful, but with a couple of poor highlight lines. The handle is crude, clunky, IMO. It was a good job for the late '40s, but you could do a lot better today.

The Wilkinson 'sticky' is the most beautifully designed DE ever produced, IMO. I've never seen one in person. But it'd be worth examining it with an eye toward refinement, perhaps updating materials used.

I don't think I'd do an adjustable, though; just a couple of really nice TTO's. Perhaps a couple of different head geometries, eg, a normal model, and an aggressive model.

-- John Gehman

Never heard of a Wilkinson Sticky. What is it made of, plastic or metal? It looks cool, kind of has a seventies modern look about it.

+1 Tell us more about this razor somebody.
John.

I'm no expert by any means, but they were produced by Wilkinson Sword in the UK.....60's maybe? They were sold here, Canada and the UK I know. I think they actually won some type of design award according to "Rustyblade" over at SMF. I you look over at SMF, there is a collectors corner sticky at the top of the razors and blades page. He has some nice pics on p.1 & 2.

On of the regular sellers on the world's largest auction site (who's a member here, BTW) had one a few weeks ago listed. He advertised as not really collector piece since the case was broken and the razor had a hairline crack in the handle. It still went for just over a C-note. A mint NOS Wilkinson Sticky would probably go for close to $300 I'm guessing.

Oh, and it's supposedly not just a pretty face, either. I've read from those who have them that it will shave better than anything out there.

Top Bottom