What's new

New Belmont

Besides the New models #88/#77, here's the only other 2-piece razor Gillette ever made. Also, the 2-piece razors were only made in England, and once WWII broke out the design was dropped. Perhaps the 3-piece design was less expensive to manufacture. Post WWII the 1-piece TTO design took precedence.

This New Belmont is excellent shape and provides an excellent shave. The barrel has the usual split but the silver (or is it chrome?) held up much better than the gold plate on its cousin the New De Luxe.

The case is not the original, but not a bad substitute.

That is a beautiful razor. And a beautiful case, from Asprey no less. It looks like ostrich. It's not a substitute, it's a vast improvement.

Do you mean disassembled with all the internals displayed? Hmm... I doubt I can tackle that one -- but the 2 pieces that the usually disassembled razor -- for inserting blades -- is displayed in the 3rd photo.

Is that what you mean?

I was hoping it was someone here that got the Belmont. Good score Jake! (sorry for bumping the price up too)

yours looks chromium plated. Here is one silver plated:

proxy.php

Jake, I didn't focus on that third pic and Achim thank you so much for posting yours. This is an amazing razor, a Gillette 2 piece!! I had thought only Merkur had mastered that design. Just wonderful. The list grows longer. Any pics out there of the New 88 and 77?

Thanks for the great photos Achim! This silver-plated 2-piece razor is one of the best Gullette made. But why did they only make the 2-piece razors in Englad? And why for such a short time?

Thanks for the great photos Achim! This silver-plated 2-piece razor is one of the best Gullette made. But why did they only make the 2-piece razors in Englad? And why for such a short time?

Achim, thank you as well for those pics! Jake, I can't understand Gillette's decision either. The two piece design is plainly more efficient and easier to use. I wish they were more common!

Achim, thank you as well for those pics! Jake, I can't understand Gillette's decision either. The two piece design is plainly more efficient and easier to use. I wish they were more common!

The two piece design depends upon a retaining ring to hold the lower assembly in place. While the design was "neat," I doubt the cost involved warranted its marginal advantage. Gillette seldom went the way of fluff over function beyond the high end models.

Top Bottom