What's new

Old Spice: Shulton vs P&G

OK, Lads, here's my $.03.

I have a friend who just got back from India and he brought me a bottle of Shulton Old Spice to which I am comparing to my domestic (USA) bottle of P&G Old Spice that I bought a couple of months ago.

The difference in the bottle is fairly difficult for me to discern. However, when I wear the Shulton I notice that it is less "powder" and more "spice" than the P&G. To my nose there is a much more pronounced scent of clove in the Shulton and it burns like hell. It reminded me, in fact, in terms of burn of the Pinaud VI Bay Rum. BUT, my face felt great afterwards, it smelled great and the scent definitely lasted the better part of the day and into the evening.

I'm not saying that one is "better" than the other but given the choice I would definitely prefer the Shulton.

Next up: Shulton OS Musk!

I still have yet to try Old Spice aftershave. I just can't convince myself to spend seven dollars on a drug store aftershave, especially since the bottle isn't even that big. I do really want to try it though.

I still have yet to try Old Spice aftershave. I just can't convince myself to spend seven dollars on a drug store aftershave, especially since the bottle isn't even that big. I do really want to try it though.

Yup, I personally wouldn't spend that either on the new stuff. However, Ivy Club from Family Dollar will give you what many of us consider a superior experience for around $1.65 (the last time I bought some). You've probably already heard of this.

Woops, I forgot I don't know your location so I don't know if you can get this. But if you can, give it a try.

Indian Grocery stores will sometimes have the Shulton for a few bucks. For the OP I completely agree, the P&G is much more powdery.

I find the spice/vanilla is more pronounced in the Indian Shulton, whereas P&G skews more in the direction of florals and powder.

Legion

Staff member
I have a vintage bottle of the old Shulton stuff. I have never smelled the Indian stuff. Is it exactly the same? I'm not sure I could ever actually wear it, every time I take a sniff I get transported back to being a small child in the 70's. Smells like my Dads medicine cabinet. :001_tongu

Resurrection time.

I did the big challenge this past weekend.

The american version was a lot louder and had a powdery sweet smell to me, way too sweet. Plus it felt kind of thick/almost sticky on my face, weird I know. The indian version is superior in every way.

I also prefer the Shulton, but I could see a vanilla buff preferring the P&G product (although they may not admit it around here!).

I tried the Ivy Spice knockoff and actually disliked it. It had a cheap medicinal tang to it that was unpleasant.

I even like the new Shulton better than my vintage OS bottle I acquired. There's a touch of that sweet vanilla scent in the new Shulton, but it's entirely absent in my vintage Shulton.

Is there a difference between the European and the North American P&G versions? It has been surmised here that OS was reformulated for the plastic bottle, as with Brut and Aqua Velva, our OS is still in a glass bottle :thumbup1: .

I've only tried Ivy Club Spice. Straight from the bottle I prefer P&G's take, but Ivy Club dries down nicely. I am a big fan of powdery scents, though, so maybe I'll give P&G a try. I've been putting it off as I don't really want to pay $8+ on a bottle.

After 40 years away from Old Spice I have started using it again. It is hard to remember the difference in scent but I certainly remember that the original would sting like a million pins and needles and the current version doesn't. I vaguely remember the original smelled more spicy, clove-like than the current as well.

Top Bottom