What's new

Barbicide or Isopropyl Alcohol 91%

Barbicide. It is a germicide, pseudomonacide, fungicide, and viricide. It also kills the HIV-1 virus, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C.
Scrubbing bubbles has the same active ingredient as Barbicide and it will remove the old soap scum as well.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the Barbicide, but according to the CDC website Isopropyl Alcohol give a little time will kill just about anything nasty living on your razor. They say to dunk it for at least 30 seconds.

I learned from bitter experience that Barbicide will discolor a gold razor..so I advise caution.

I use it every now and then, usually do the scrubbing bubble/alcohol route myself.

Geeno

I use Isopropyl Alcohol 91% on all of my razors daily. I like it because it not only sterilizes the razor, but it drys it too.

The better? Perhaps Barbicide. That is, if you're into spending $20 for which you could achieve 99% of the same results by using $2 alcohol, $3 scrubbing bubbles or simply boiling in water. Frankly, I think the odds of any old razor being infected with AIDs, hepatitis or any other virus are so remote that all of these expensive sterilizations seem like the equivalent of the "elephant whistle."

Jeff in Boston

The better? Perhaps Barbicide. That is, if you're into spending $20 for which you could achieve 99% of the same results by using $2 alcohol, $3 scrubbing bubbles or simply boiling in water. Frankly, I think the odds of any old razor being infected with AIDs, hepatitis or any other virus are so remote that all of these expensive sterilizations seem like the equivalent of the "elephant whistle."

Jeff in Boston

It's true.

HIV is a wuss, virally speaking. Even if the previous owner were infected, it still dies when the blood dries, essentially. The hepatitides are little tougher.

A cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles is plenty.

I know it's meant for kitchens and bathrooms, but has anybody ever heard of Scrubbing Bubbles damaging chrome plating? I haven't used it in many years and so am not sure if it's physically or chemically corosive to chrome.

70% isopropyl alcohol is actually superior to 91%. Alcohols sterilize by denaturing, and denaturing is better accomplished in the presence of water.

Pretty much the only things not killed by isopropyl alcohol are bacterial spores, but these should be able to be washed off surfaces with scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush.

I don't see the need for barbicide.

A few years ago i worked in the sterilizing dept of my local hospital and we used IPA wipes, 70% i think, to clean any debris from washed items before the autoclave and also for cleaning work surfaces etc very good at removing glue and greasy kitchen items too :)

ian

Jeff in Boston

Your price is a little off. One quart bottle of Barbicide will make 2 gallons of solution. Even at $1 a quart for 91%, that is $8 for the alcohol. I only pay $7 locally for my Barbicide, so it's cheaper. Also, boiling water isn't the same as Barbicide. Unless you are boiling for an hour or more. And, to top it off, unlike the others, Barbicide is also anti-rust, which the others can't claim.

That said, there is a reason that many laws require Barbicide to be used. There are some bugs that like alcohol, and will survive it. Alcohol is hard to judge the strength of as well. Since it loves water, it can pull it out of the air, and the same volume can have a lot less than the bottle it was poured from said after a few days because the same quality some people like, i.e. it evaporates quickly, happens in a jar of it as well.

Last edited:
I know it's meant for kitchens and bathrooms, but has anybody ever heard of Scrubbing Bubbles damaging chrome plating? I haven't used it in many years and so am not sure if it's physically or chemically corosive to chrome.

I've used Scrubbing Bubbles on every razor I own or have sold...all chrome. So far no damage that I can see.

I won't claim 100% accuracy, it's just what I have seen so far. I am currently scrubbing and cleaning a razor that has a bit of plating loss, so maybe the bubble will hurt it...don't know.

Barbicide is clearly superior in regards to sanitizing. However, isopropyl alcohol does a fine job disinfecting razors all well, just not to the same degree as Barbicide, which kill just about all pathogens that are around.

For my DE razors, I thoroughly rinse the razor and then dry it on a towel. I then dip it in Barbicide solution and hang it to dry. I only remove the blade from the razor when putting in a new blade. I make up a new batch of solution every 4 months (today is the day). A small bottle of Barbicide costs less than $10 and will last me two years. BTW, I do add a little 91% isoproply alcohol to the Barbicide over the 4 month period to replace solution lost through use.

For my straight razors, I oil the razors after use with a 50/50 mixture of 91% isopropyl alcohol and non-toxic oil. The traditional razor oil is camelia oil, but any light weight, non-toxic oil can be used. I use Ultra-Lube.

I learned from bitter experience that Barbicide will discolor a gold razor..so I advise caution.

I use it every now and then, usually do the scrubbing bubble/alcohol route myself.

Geeno

Strange, I've used it on 3 gold razors with no discoloration to speak of. Stupid question, but did you dilute it?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hey hoser.jpg

Hey, hosers! This thread is eight years old!

Still . . . . Barbicide is superior. Rubbing alcohol is fine. Unless you are passing your razor around the barracks or prison yard, neither is of any benefit. You are more likely to get a nasty infection from your toothbrush (which is to say it ain't an issue).

A new-to-me vintage razor gets a scrubbing bubbles/dawn soak, then toothbrush scrub with scrubbing bubbles, then 1 min in 99% isopropyl alcohol. When i change blades, I scrub it with a toothbrush and scrubbing bubbles to remove soap scum.
When I give a razor to someone, I give it the same treatment as a new-to-me razor.

Edit: As a 1-year noob, I like it when someone resurrects an old thread. I always learn something.

Last edited:
I use Isopropyl Alcohol 91% on all of my razors daily. I like it because it not only sterilizes the razor, but it drys it too.

Even though this thread is nearly 8 yrs old, I do exactly the same as @ackvil. Never had a problem to date (although its only been a year & a half for me).

Top Bottom