What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum

Is it just me, or does this aftershave splash burn like no other?

The ingredients list mentions only three things: Alcohol, Witch Hazel, and Fragrance Oils.

Maybe it was too aggressive of a shave that did me in. Maybe I need to spend more time with a cold, damp washcloth to my face to close the pores before applying this splash. Maybe it's not just me, and this stuff has a reputation for setting other peoples' faces on fire.

What do y'all think??

Thanks,
Brian

Try shaking it well before using. I believe the essential oils are held in suspension because of the lower alcohol content and tend to rise to the top. Shaking will produce a more uniform emulsion, which should reduce the possible burning sensation. I, myself, don't notice much burn with Ogallala. Now, Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum is another story!

Try shaking it well before using. I believe the essential oils are held in suspension because of the lower alcohol content and tend to rise to the top. Shaking will produce a more uniform emulsion, which should reduce the possible burning sensation. I, myself, don't notice much burn with Ogallala. Now, Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum is another story!

+1. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't notice any significant burn but the scent to me is a smoky fragrance, unlike any of the Bay Rums I have tried.

I prefer their Bay Rum Peppercorns and Lime scent.

+1 It does say shake well on the bottle.

T

I'd say that the burn is pretty mild.
But, if you don't give it a good shake first, you'll get pure EO's & I can imagine that gives a hellfire burn :blink:

So do as the label says, shake first...

I'd say that the burn is pretty mild.
But, if you don't give it a good shake first, you'll get pure EO's & I can imagine that gives a hellfire burn :blink:

So do as the label says, shake first...

Well, that explains it. :001_rolle

Side note, if one were to use an alum block, rinse with cold water, and THEN apply aftershave splash, would it reduce the burn wrought by a splash alone?

Last edited:

Thank you I never thought of that

Maybe it was too aggressive of a shave that did me in. Maybe I need to spend more time with a cold, damp washcloth to my face to close the pores before applying this splash.

I have the Limes and Peppercorns flavor. No real burn that I've detected, at all. To me, it felt much like the witch hazel that I use occasionally, mostly soothing, no burn.

You do know that pores don't open and close, right? That's one of those shaving myths that should die a fiery death, because there is no musculature there to open or close anything.

IMHO, there are many others that burn more...

I get a REAL burn off of my Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, but it's fleeting and the scent is a keeper. My other Pinaud selections all have some variation of burn, but nothing like VIBR. :bayrum2:

It varies and I see others have addressed what I would have, e.g., shaking the stuff.

I'm happy with Ogallala products. Minimal burn, generally. As I'm still working my way through new brands of blades, an unusually rough blade may cause burn with A/S or cologne.

I've just taken to splashing witch hazel on my mug after rinsing. I apply anything else later, just before I'm ready to leave the house. No burn then! :001_smile

Top Bottom