What's new

Solingen "Super Kama" - worth having honed?

I bought this straight razor probably 12 years ago, at an antique shop. I used it once and it skipped and scraped across my face, creating lots of nicks and leaving lots of stubble, so I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. Lately, I've been wanting to try shaving with a straight razor. I've been reading here and I suspect the razor I have is not properly honed. I have no idea whether its good quality.

Here's a description:
The hollow part of the blade reads, "Super Kama."
The metal part near the knurled grip (?) reads, "Kama Solingen," "99," and "Made in Germany."
There is a slight knick on the cutting edge. Could this be honed out?
The handle is transparent orange plastic.

My question is, should I send this to someone like Lynn to be honed, or just buy a new razor?

You could send it to me and I can do the heavy work. You can try it out and if you see fit pay a honemeister for the superlative edge they can apply.

You could send it to me and I can do the heavy work. You can try it out and if you see fit pay a honemeister for the superlative edge they can apply.

I don't think I've ever heard anything less than superlatives regarding your honing, Alan. If you can't do it, I doubt many could. And all the Kamas I've ever handled (3 of them) have been outstanding. Made by Koch & Schaefer. I've got a 9/8 full hollow I need to get around to.

Top Bottom