What's new

Preparing to shave with a Feather for the first time

I really like Derbys and the 7'O'Clock Gillette blades and have heard some horror stories about the Feathers. What should I expect/prepare for when I use them in a 60 SuperSpeed?

I typically use the Proraso Pre before Superlathering with Proraso soap/cream and an inexpensive brush for what it's worth.

I put a Feather in my red tip for the first time 3 days ago. I did get a close shave but it tore my face up. I think I will go back to the Astras that I was using before. Maybe with a little more practice I will get better with the Feathers.

Take your time. I did notice that they are a lot sharper than any thing else I have used so far, but they are supposed to be. Good luck.

Repeat after me:

No pressure

No pressure

No pressure

It might feel like the Feather isn't doing anything. But check to see if there are whiskers in the sink - there probably will be. No pressure, keep a good angle and go for it!

Repeat after me:

No pressure

No pressure

No pressure

It might feel like the Feather isn't doing anything. But check to see if there are whiskers in the sink - there probably will be. No pressure, keep a good angle and go for it!

+1

Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. Applying pressure on a SS with a feather in it is akin to harakiri. Your life is more precious than that. For reference sake, I use a '57 SS Red Tip with feathers and pretty much the same lather as OP. In a cold shower. ;)

Last edited:
I really like Derbys and the 7'O'Clock Gillette blades and have heard some horror stories about the Feathers. What should I expect/prepare for when I use them in a 60 SuperSpeed?

I typically use the Proraso Pre before Superlathering with Proraso soap/cream and an inexpensive brush for what it's worth.

If you are sure of your technique, then your shave will be fine. As others have suggested, reduce your pressure slightly when compared to your other blades.

Take it easy and shave with it. Use a cream or soap that you are most familiar with to keep extra variables out of the way. +1 on the no pressure.

No pressure x1000. I only used one for 3 shaves in a Merkur 34C. The results were a bit disappointing: a few cuts, even with little pressure the razor burn was starting to appear. Those were not even very close shaves. I'll keep trying to see if I can get better results, but so far it's too much drama for very little result. I changed to a "Swede" just to remind me how a sharp blade can be effective and forgiving at the same time. The Iridiums have similar performance.

By all means, go for it, you may just happen to find your favorite blade. They are not the face-eating monsters some call them IF you eliminate any kind of pressure.

Didn't bleed, but it was way too close of a shave and left my neck burning. Pitched the blade after a single use, they're not for me.

Rejecting a blade after the first shave sounds a little hasty. Some folks like the feather much better on the second or third shave - and in that case palm-stropping or corking might improve the first shave too.

The razor also makes a large difference. Earlier this year I used a Feather in a Tech (P-2). The Tech is a mild razor, so even the first shave was fairly smooth, and got even better. For some reason the blade just didn't want to quit, so I kept using it for nine shaves.

Top Bottom