What's new

First shave down but a question about dealing with a spike....

My first shave wasn't a disaster (3 passes with a DE touch up). I might even dare to say that it wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined it to be:) Of course the blade length feels a bit awkward right now and watching the position of the spike did have me on eggshells a few times, but I may become a convert yet. I used an old Wester Bros Anchor Brand that was reduced to about a 4/8, made shave ready, and PIF'ed to me by a fellow board member. I know that RAD will have me purchasing another razor soon but should I avoid the spike for now? Also, would I be better off learning with a 5/8 or 6/8? I know that these things are subjective but would still appreciate some feedback.

I learned on a square point razor and had no problems. Just remember that it is there and pay attention(which you should be doing with any crazy sharp straight) and you should be fine.

You can always mute the spike point.
If done carefully, it can always be restored.
Just take the blade and "rub" the tip of the spike lightly againt a glass bottle.
That will take the bite out of it, without destroying it.
And then you will have one less thing to worry about.
There is enough other things to consider when you start out already :lol:

please dont mute your spikes. I mean, if you dont like them, get a round end instead of ruining a perfectly good spike.

So long as you are careful, a spike wont hurt you. Its just not recomended to beginners as you already have so much to think about (angle, pressure etc) that you might have so much else to think about that poke yourself with it.

please dont mute your spikes. I mean, if you dont like them, get a round end instead of ruining a perfectly good spike.

So long as you are careful, a spike wont hurt you. Its just not recomended to beginners as you already have so much to think about (angle, pressure etc) that you might have so much else to think about that poke yourself with it.

I agree with you :thumbup1:

I dunno. There are so many spikes out there and if his isn't a particularly nice one (read: shaver grade not collector grade) I don't see the harm. In fact, one of the old barbering manuals on the Wiki at SRP suggests you GRIND IT DOWN! Now I'm not suggesting that but muting it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

+2

I see no harm in softening the point. I just picked up a 6/8 Velvet Edge Razor Co today that looks to have been softened. Also noticed it's magnetized. ??

I dunno. There are so many spikes out there and if his isn't a particularly nice one (read: shaver grade not collector grade) I don't see the harm. In fact, one of the old barbering manuals on the Wiki at SRP suggests you GRIND IT DOWN! Now I'm not suggesting that but muting it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

+2

I see no harm in softening the point. I just picked up a 6/8 Velvet Edge Razor Co today that looks to have been softened. Also noticed it's magnetized. ??

The harm though, is that muting the point means that if you want a spike again you need a whole new bevel. What's the point? (hehe)

Eg: if you like 5/8 razors, but only have an 8/8, you wouldn't grind the blade down. Just because muting the point is easy doesn't make it any different.

if you don't feel ready for points, get a round tip - why kill a perfecly good spike point?

The harm though, is that muting the point means that if you want a spike again you need a whole new bevel. What's the point? (hehe)

Eg: if you like 5/8 razors, but only have an 8/8, you wouldn't grind the blade down. Just because muting the point is easy doesn't make it any different.

if you don't feel ready for points, get a round tip - why kill a perfecly good spike point?

Cuz the best razor is often the one you have? Seriously, I can see your point. It's kinda like when I was into vintage guitars and guys argued passionately in favor of refinishing old guitars which basically destroyed their value regardless of how "far gone" the finish was.

Could you put a little piece of tape or maybe a dob of super-glue on the spike? You could easily get both of those off when the day comes.

I learned on a shave ready spike and I agree with a prior post that it is not that hard. You'll probably nick yourself a few times along the learning curve, however, this is all part of the process. I might suggest a 5/8, 11/16, or 3/4 for your next purchase. This will give a little bit of extra weight to the stroke without going overboard relative to the 4/8 all else equal. Of course, a fuller grind will also accomplish much the same but these are a bit harder to hone.

I did get a small bite yesterday as well as bit of razor rash. I had to give myself a DE break today. With regard to the following comment:

"It's kinda like when I was into vintage guitars and guys argued passionately in favor of refinishing old guitars which basically destroyed their value regardless of how "far gone" the finish was."

While I understand where you are coming from, this is an instrument that no longer has any vintage value. The scales are cracked and the blade has been whittled down to a smaller size just to make it shave ready for a newbie.

I wouldn't be shaping a vintage Jazzmaster into a Mustang:)

That said, I do think that a round point might be better for me right now.

+2

If not made that way, they can get magnetized while being held in a mounting that uses strong magnets. They are placed in the mounting for cleaning, restoring etc..

I did get a small bite yesterday as well as bit of razor rash. I had to give myself a DE break today. With regard to the following comment:

"It's kinda like when I was into vintage guitars and guys argued passionately in favor of refinishing old guitars which basically destroyed their value regardless of how "far gone" the finish was."

While I understand where you are coming from, this is an instrument that no longer has any vintage value. The scales are cracked and the blade has been whittled down to a smaller size just to make it shave ready for a newbie.

I wouldn't be shaping a vintage Jazzmaster into a Mustang:)

That said, I do think that a round point might be better for me right now.

Then I say, grind that sucker down and don't tell anyone. :biggrin1: Now about that Jazzmaster....:lol:

Top Bottom