What's new

Early difficulty

I have read through numerous posts on this website, and others, and have yet to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I was shaving with a Mach 3 and Nivia Shaving Cream for years and always had close shaves where I could not feel stubble no matter which direction I rubbed my hand. I never had razor bumps, irritation, burn, or any of that. I only started to consider a DE safety razor for economical reasons as in the long run, this option seemed to be cheaper. I purchased a Merkur Progress adjustable, the one with the longer handle, and a pack of Merkur Platinum coated blades. I also purchased a badger hair brush, and a good soap. I have been trying, diligently, for about 2 months and just cannot replicate the results I got with my Mach 3. I do get good shaves with the safety razor, just not as good as before. Is it purely my own fault, or may it be my facial structure and/or beard type. I don't think my beard is particularly coarse or fine, just average, but my face is rather jagged, if that is the word. I have a really sharp jaw line, especially towards the back of my jaw near my ear and leading into my chin. I have watched numerous videos, read through numerous threads, I'd tried most of what I have learned. Feel free to ask questions, grill me on details I may have left out, or whatever you feel is important to getting to the bottom of my problem. I really feel it is something I am doing wrong as all of you seem to be having success.

~Matt

I'll throw in my .02 here, but expect a vet to eventually come along and give you a nice thorough explanation of what you may or may not be doing to enhance the quality of your shaves.

First, I don't know anyone who likes Merkur blades... myself included. They always come with new Merkur razors, and they do a good job of scaring a lot of new wetshavers off. Check out the sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com to find a blade that works well with your face.

Second, well... I don't know. You say you've read a lot and watched a lot of videos. I don't want to rehash anything you already know. Have you mapped the growth of your beard? That is immensely helpful.

I have read through numerous posts on this website, and others, and have yet to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I was shaving with a Mach 3 and Nivia Shaving Cream for years and always had close shaves where I could not feel stubble no matter which direction I rubbed my hand. I never had razor bumps, irritation, burn, or any of that. I only started to consider a DE safety razor for economical reasons as in the long run, this option seemed to be cheaper. I purchased a Merkur Progress adjustable, the one with the longer handle, and a pack of Merkur Platinum coated blades. I also purchased a badger hair brush, and a good soap. I have been trying, diligently, for about 2 months and just cannot replicate the results I got with my Mach 3. I do get good shaves with the safety razor, just not as good as before. Is it purely my own fault, or may it be my facial structure and/or beard type. I don't think my beard is particularly coarse or fine, just average, but my face is rather jagged, if that is the word. I have a really sharp jaw line, especially towards the back of my jaw near my ear and leading into my chin. I have watched numerous videos, read through numerous threads, I'd tried most of what I have learned. Feel free to ask questions, grill me on details I may have left out, or whatever you feel is important to getting to the bottom of my problem. I really feel it is something I am doing wrong as all of you seem to be having success.

~Matt

As mentioned, the Merkur blades are not that good.

Second, with your sharp jaw line, and after years of Mach 3 cruising, your 'skill' disappeared and the razor took over. Now you must learn a sligtly new skill with the DE. You could first pass with the Mach 3 and touch up with the DE. Then take it from there as you progress.

Also, don't forget, as little pressure as possible with the DE. Too much pressure will ruin your shaving experience. Note that this is another Mach 3 learned trait, using more pressure.

Also don't forget, the cart does everything for you; it establishes the correct cutting angle wherever you glide it.

With a DE you're in a manual/stick shift. It's going to take some time and practice to get as proficient. A gentle flattening of your angular areas, and the odd facial contortion should see you getting to those trickier areas with a bit of practice.

I can get very good results with a cart too, easier than it takes with my DE. But $$ and the boredom of shaving with them won't see returning.

It's worth repeating - Merkur blades suck.

Another vote for ordering a sampler pack of blades. I don't know many who enjoy Merkur blades - everyone gravitates to something else it seems.

Since you have an adjustable, have you tried different settings? You will get different results.

Bu more than anything, I find that technique trumps almost anything else. My technique at first wasn't very good, but it has gotten to where I can get a good shave from almost any razor and blade. I think anyone can do the same, but it requires some practice and dedication.

@ Memento

The blade is a good possibility. I considered it at times, but have really thought it was my technique. The one thing that makes me think it may be the blades is that I have certain areas that I just cannot get smooth, mainly this little patch on the cheek just before the chin (a line straight down from the corner of my mouth and back towards my ear about 1/4"). I have shaved every direction imaginable over many different attempts, stretched and pulled and just cant seem to get it. I can hear the coarse sound with the blade but it just isn't happening.

@ Don and Drubbing

I've tried to pull the area behind the back of my jaw (the sharp bend just past the ear) up towards my forehead to try and get it flat and thus easier to shave, still seems it won't get close, but that may go back to the blades that memento/david initially mentioned. Another problem is my neck, which again is almost impossible to get smooth no matter how much I tug or which angle I use. Also, at Don specifically, it is the touch up portion that I have the most difficulty with the DE and have, at times, resorted to the Mach 3 to get it smooth. This is usually when I have taken off several layers of skin and still cannot get it smooth.

@ Uncle Erik

I have tried several different settings with the adjustable, going from the lowest to the highest setting and switching it up through different points. At one point, which is somewhat embarrassing, I tried different methods on different portions of my face and ended up looking like I had acne due to all the red spots all over my face and neck. I'm also fair complected so that sort of thing shows up immediately.

@ All of you

I really appreciate your help and cannot believe how quickly you got back. I'm extra aware of the pressure I am applying, relying solely on the weight of the razor to do the work. I really think it might be the blades considering no matter how hard I try or what angles I use, I cannot get certain areas smooth, yet the Mach 3 can. I'm going to check out the sample packs mentioned in the first post and see if that makes a difference. I will keep you all posted and check back regularly for any new posts or further advice. Also, if you could suggest some blades that have worked for you, please do so.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Keep at it, 2 months is just a start.

There's a number of variables to work through, and technique needs to be matched to the right tools for you. A bit of trial and error is needed to find some of the tools.

The Progress isn't a great razor to learn on either. You might want to pick up a cheap Tech or Superspeed on the forums here, both are much more forgiving of a newbie's learning curve.

Hi there Matt,

I shaved with a Progress for years and gave to my eldest son when I switched to a straight two years ago. Like you I tore up my face with those Merkur blades for a couple of months until I wised up and got myself a sample pack. I ended up settling on Feather blades and all of a sudden the battle with my Progress was over. As far as the rest of your questions; I can only say that none of this is rocket science. Listen to your face and pay attention to your angles. Shave and feel, shave and feel and you are going to love your Progress!

Gregg

I've been getting great shaves with my Super Adjustable and Derby blades, until last night. I got in a hurry for just a second and took a piece, the full width of the blade, out of my chin.:angry:
At least it didn't hurt like the cuts I got with my M3.

Technique always out performs product. That is why people who usually have difficulty shaving with traditional razors, have difficulty with it. A mach 3 has alot of leeway when it comes to shaving, something a DE doesn't. That being said, no-one, even with great technique is going to be able to shave with ****ty blades. Get a decent blade (something in the razor field that is considered "run of the mill") and give it a shot. If you cut yourself often with an Astra (or the like) work on your technique before you test the feather or you will be even worse for wear.

Top Bottom