What's new

pickled egg recipe

12 extra large eggs
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf

1.Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
2.In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
3.Transfer the eggs to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.

My mom does pickled eggs and beets, which I love:

1 can small beets
12 eggs
cinnamon sticks
clove
apple cider vinegar

Drain the can of beets, reserving the liquid. Put the liquid in a pan, add vinegar, cinnamon and clove to taste, and simmer while you hard-cook the eggs.

Shell the eggs and put them in the hot beet juice and allow it to cool to room temp. Add the beets back in and stick it in the fridge and wait for about a week, until the purple pigment just reaches the yolk.

Enjoy!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like adding some Worcestershire sauce, sliced onions, several cloves of garlic some crushed or chopped, and red pepper flakes. I start eating them in about a week. I like the way the Worcestershire turns the eggs brown . . . sometimes I add a shot of soya sauce to the mix as well. (some people do them with juice from pickled beats and get nice pink eggs)

The first time . . . I had to look up how to boil eggs. . . . Cold water in a sauce pan just covering the eggs. . . bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer for 13 minutes for large eggs seems to work for me then cool and peel in cold running water.

Top Bottom