What's new

1st STR8

First time to day have a few questions:
  1. Is there a movie out there like our friend has done with DE I need one I did OK but I need some pointers and those movies on DE cut down my learning curve big time?
  2. There was times the razor seem to for lack of better words get stuck? Really pulling I guess you would say.
  3. The sound was louder then DE is that normal?
  4. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated:redface:
Thanks in advance folks.:thumbup1:

1) mantic put together a movie about shaving with a straight, it's a good starting point
2) If the razor is pulling on the beard a) check the angle (30°) or b) it's dull
3) yepp, you can literally hear the hair being cut off
4) take it easy in the beginning. Just WITH the grain passes the first week, then you can slowly make your way to a second across the grain pass and only after you're fine with that go for an ATG pass.

Lynn Abrams has a DVD that is sold through classic shaving or by sending him a note (either here or SRP). The reviews are all very favorable.

Dennis

The Abrams DVD is a must buy if you are thinking about shaving with a straight. It is very well put together and designed for the newbie.

1. Lynn's DVD, it's excellent.
  2. There are times you may need to muscle the blade through a *little*, like in a tough stand of chin whiskers, but it shouldn't feel like the whiskers are being pulled out. Try leading with the tip or heel to impart a bit of scything motion, just don't go too far an end up with something closer to a slicing motion. You'll only cross that line once if it should happen.
  3. Oh yes. Larger/thinner blades are the loudest, wedge grinds less so.
  4. Good stropping technique is critical, and it's all too easy for a beginner to mess up the edge by not stropping correctly. It's happened to a lot of us.

Get the Lynn Abrams DVD from Classic or wherever fine straights are sold. I haven't seen Mantic's straight video so that may be good, but there's no way it matches the 3 1/2 hrs of Lynn's DVD.

Straights can be pretty loud, especially the extra hollow ground razors. Many newbies find this distracting and somewhat unnerving (it freaks my wife out). If the razor is getting stuck then it's either not sharp enough or not stropped well enough or your pre-shave routine needs some improvement. Usually if the angle is too steep you'll get nicked when the blade stalls; since you didn't mention this your angle may be ok or your razor is *really* dull. A really sharp straight feels like you're just wiping the lather and whiskers away with a squeegee, though it does take good technique to achieve this.

If you bought the blade shave ready from someone chances are your stropping technique needs improvement. When I first started shaving with a straight the blade would get stuck on the against the grain pass, and I thought it was the razor. But as my stropping technique got better it stopped being a problem.

Top Bottom