What's new

New to straights... need some help. Hone?

I'm ordering a 5/8 from Whipped Dog, strop... but was wondering: do I need a hone?

Some threads here say yes, some say it's not needed... I'm lost :blink:

No you shouldn't need a hone for awhile as long as you don't damage the edge, even then, you should probably send it out to have honed if you need to if it's your only razor.

EDIT: assuming the razor you are getting is shave ready.

Last edited:
Nope, no need for one. If you like, get a finisher/ touch up hone like a Barber's hone or a C12K. This would be for slight touch ups to your razor after using it for months and months. But, your first rehone or two I suggest sending it out to someone else. You could easily damage your edge by doing it the wrong way.

I would just get a shave-ready razor and a cheap leather strop. When the blade dulls, send it to a honemeister to have it honed. In a few weeks when you're more comfortable with straights, get yourself a Chinese 12k. Super cheap and works really great. Plus since it's such a slow cutter, you get a lot of X-stroke practice, and there's little chance of you messing something up.

Whippeddog razors come shave-ready, a strop is all you need. LarryAndro wants to rehone the one he sent to me because he's worried it wasn't sharp enough... the new scar on my cheek says otherwise, though.

Thanks, guys! :thumbup:
Just make it a little more confusing I can also suggest some pasted strop, I now Larry carries those aswell.
Or the Kenrup "Filly" strop, great starter strop that comes with CrOx paste on the back.
The paste is great for a fast touch up when the edge starts dulling.

That said, I didn't get anything else then a shave-ready straight when I started out & I stropped on newspaper for months before ordering a Filly.
But the best is probably to get a strop ASAP. Everything else can wait.
The AD's will come to you anyway, no use inviting them in :tongue_sm

Besides, Larry hones razors he's sold for $9.00, shipped.
Even if you dull the blade fairly soon, he won't break the bank.

You can call him at home if you have any issues. He likes to take care of his costumers.

Even if you dull the blade fairly soon, he won't break the bank.

You can call him at home if you have any issues. He likes to take care of his costumers.
+1.
Since you've bought a straight from Larry, you wont be left hanging if some unforeseen troubles should arise.

Come to think of it, his way is the old-school way of doing business :thumbsup:

Just make it a little more confusing I can also suggest some pasted strop, I now Larry carries those aswell.

+1

I have the dual sided pasted balsa strop from Larry, along with a barber's hone (also purchased through Larry), and I have learned recently that I can correct quite a few "mistakes" just with these simple, and low cost tools. :thumbup1:

Early on I asked for $9 for rehoning razors purchased from me. My price is $13 now. I stand behind the $9 price for anyone who purchased a razor from me during that time period. So, don't worry...

A mention or two was made of the strop kit I sell. It is the Poor Man Strop Kit, and is very basic in construction. But, effective. The thought is to get someone up and running, giving them a little experience. After that, they will know enough to buy something a little more permanent and elegant. http://www.whippeddog.com/$11-Poor-Man-Strop-Kit/

Almost asked these same questions but I don't know why I was ever thought that it couldn't be already asked and well answered.

Top Bottom