What's new

How can I restore Super Adjustable handle?

See pictures below for what I'm talking about. The handle on the gold plated one has lost its shine and rich black color--it's pretty faded.

I took a picture of it next to the silver one just for reference, since its handle has retained its color.

I was thinking of going over it with black nail polish but the stuff is so thick that it might fill the grooves on the handle. Can anyone come up with a thinner compound that could restore its shine and make it nice and black again?

Thanks!

proxy.php

proxy.php

In case you can completely disassemble the handle, maybe you could use a polyuretane paint or a micro compressor as used in modelling.

Another possibility might be heating it to the limit, until the steel goes blue, and then submerge it into mineral oil (I don't know the english word for this procedure, "pavonado" is in spanish).

In case you can completely disassemble the handle, maybe you could use a polyuretane paint or a micro compressor as used in modelling.

Another possibility might be heating it to the limit, until the steel goes blue, and then submerge it into mineral oil (I don't know the english word for this procedure, "pavonado" is in spanish).

Thanks for the input. I don't think it can be disassembled, though. I'd prefer a less invasive technique than heating it until it practically melts, too...

I think you're onto something with the polyurethane paint, though. I'm sure I could apply it carefully without getting it onto the gold if I really take my time in applying it.

I think your just going to have to live with the faded handle, you may be able to use a car wax or renaissance wax to shine it up some

I'd suggest Airbrush. Take it to a tattoo artist and ask if they can respray it with something that'll stick. I believe the original is some kind of resin and not a paint so you might have trouble finding something that will adhere to it well.

I'd suggest Airbrush. Take it to a tattoo artist and ask if they can respray it with something that'll stick. I believe the original is some kind of resin and not a paint so you might have trouble finding something that will adhere to it well.

Thanks for the heads up about the resin. I'm going to bring it over to a specialty art store and see what they think.

There is a product that might work. It's an oil paint additive called penetrol. I've heard that it can be used to restore old vinyl car roofs and polish up fiberglass boats.

I would leave it alone. The gold long handled adjustable is not that common. Why mess it up with a poor Earl Scheib paint job?

Len

"In case you can completely disassemble the handle, maybe you could use a polyuretane paint or a micro compressor as used in modelling."

If one wanted to disassemble a "Super Adjustable" how would you go about it? I've seen the "Fatboy/Slim" tutorial, but the end piece on the "Super Adjustable" is different and the same technique wouldn't seem to work?

DD

The end cap doesnt come off with any level of ease. I have a super adjustable with a hole right near the end cap and even with the leverage I can get from that I wasn't able to pop it off with any ease. I gave up in fear of breaking something even worse than it was before.

If one wanted to disassemble a "Super Adjustable" how would you go about it? I've seen the "Fatboy/Slim" tutorial, but the end piece on the "Super Adjustable" is different and the same technique wouldn't seem to work?
It doesn't. Few months back I tried getting apart a junked SA just to see if I could. Got as far as getting the end cap off, as noted above, but the rest is just too integrally connected to get apart without massive destruction. Which is exactly what resulted; I got it apart but the handle looked like it was run over with a mower.

Black Plasti-Dip is what I use on some of my handles. I know it won't look exactly right but it'll be black, sure enough. Improved grip, too. It'll come off w/o residue if you decide to remove it. Just slit it above the TTO knob after it cures.

I would not paint it. I would look for some sort of plastic treatment or restoring compound.

Other than that, I'd live with it. As Darjeeling points out, the gold are quite rare, only made for a little over a year.

I would not paint it. I would look for some sort of plastic treatment or restoring compound.

Other than that, I'd live with it. As Darjeeling points out, the gold are quite rare, only made for a little over a year.

Yeah, I know. I think they're great. I actually have two--gave one to my girlfriend and she gets great shaves with hers also.

I don't consider myself any kind of collector so I don't care so much about keeping things original, but since the general consensus seems to be that messing with it could make things worse, I'll leave it be. Thanks everyone.

"It doesn't. Few months back I tried getting apart a junked SA just to see if I could. Got as far as getting the end cap off, as noted above, but the rest is just too integrally connected to get apart without massive destruction. Which is exactly what resulted; I got it apart but the handle looked like it was run over with a mower."

Thanks for the tip, I'll leave mine be then and deal with it as is.

DD

If you want one to test with, I have one that is trashed three different ways and is not ever going to get used.

PM me, if you want it.....

Appreciate it, but I actually have one with a nice hole in the handle that I wouldn't mind testing on--it's pretty useless anyway (especially when I have 3 other perfectly good super adjustables). I decided that tomorrow I'm going to pick up that Penetrol stuff that was mentioned by amishmotorboat and give it a try.

Appreciate it, but I actually have one with a nice hole in the handle that I wouldn't mind testing on--it's pretty useless anyway (especially when I have 3 other perfectly good super adjustables). I decided that tomorrow I'm going to pick up that Penetrol stuff that was mentioned by amishmotorboat and give it a try.

I have used Penatrol on my Jeep top to dress up the chalky tan paint. At first it worked really well and made the paint look new. I redid it a couple of times about 6 months apart with success. Then it started to cloud and peel from the sun. I let it completely come off over another 6 months and it is back to even color.
For your razor I think it will work, since you don't have the UV exposure problem. Just apply it and wipe it to a thin coat with a clean lint free rag. Let us know how it works.
Russ

Top Bottom