What's new

A triumvirate of Swedish steel/Coticule/Bart

Here is one that is definitely not a looker. But a performer :001_wub:
proxy.php

It's a 5/8 Eskilstuna Jernbolaget, full wedge, no jimps, no bling, beaten scales.
But she is one of three pillars of the near-magic triumvirate I'm giving witness to in this post.

She cost me a whooping 40 SEK [ ~5.50 USD] in a thrift shop in Eskilstuna.
A good rub with oven cleaner & a coarse rag left her with nice patina that I decided to keep "not worth the effort to go further" I thought.

I have heard good things about Jernbolaget straights, a lesser known maker, but not uncommon either over here.
So I decided to ship her out to Bart to try if the Coticule really is as good as its followers says it is.

Recieved it last night & this morning I had the best shave of my life.
Without competition.
Bart did tell me when he was done honing it that it had a remarkable ability to take a smooth edge & he described his test shave as "incredible" IIRC.
And boy was he right!
When I did my upper lip there wasn't any tugging at all, not even the slightest. I had too look at the blade & see if any hairs had been removed.
Over all the shave was as easy as a Merkur Slant loaded with a fresh feather & even smoother.
Absolutely sharp & incredibly smooth shave!
For comparison I have a Heljestrand MK32 that thus far has been my smoothest shaver, the MK32 is very well regarded as an excellent razor
& its honed by a mighty Honemeister in the West, and that one is still outrun by far here.
So are my other straight, all of them honed by different wellregarded honemeisters. But this is my first all-coti straight.
I know you really can't compare different grinds and so on but I is still avery noticable difference in the edge itself

Yes, I'm a believer in the coticule
Yes, I really like swedish steel from Jernbolaget
And yes, Bart obviously is one heck of a honer & a wizard with his domestic stones!

Yes, I'm a believer in the coticule
Yes, I really like swedish steel from Jernbolaget
And yes, Bart obviously is one heck of a honer & a wizard with his domestic stones!

Congratulations on a nice find and a big :thumbup1: for Bart!

Last edited:
Top Bottom