What's new

How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out

I like to use a gentle but nice smelling shampoo, then follow with lathering and letting it sit overnight. After that I like to follow with another round of shampoo and lathering and I end with a 5 minute soak in conditioner. If it is natural hair it will really benefit from an occasional slather of conditioner.

I just bought a shave brush from India on ebay. Unused but old. The box says natural bristle. I am sure it is horse hair. Very soft. Dark brown hair with one or two strands of grey. I have already washed it once with dish washing liquid. Does anyone think steps 2 and 3 will make the brush too soft. It has a slight smell that is either horse or just age. Please advise.

Yesterday i bought an Omega boar brush, i smelled it and said 'its OK'. But i did not know that the smell would get way worse when wet. :p

So, i had to break it in using soap -> then lather method and let it dry overnight.

This morning the smell had reduced considerably. Looking forward to try it out today.

Last edited:
I strongly dislike this thread. It is the complete opposite of what it truly necessary to care for a brush. If a brush is too stinky for you to use on your face, do a quick couple of bowl lather with normal shaving soap. There is really no need to ever soak a brush in anything for longer than 5 minutes.

PS. The dishwasher is not an appropriate place for a shaving brush.

Call me weird, but I don't understand this obsession with getting the "funk" out.
Do you own a dog, or have you ever been near one when it's wet? If so, you're faced with that funk every time its pelt gets wet.
Whether you have or you have not, it's a thoroughly natural smell. Not particularly nice, but not odious either. It remains for the first few uses of a new brush, worst case, and then it's gone. FOREVER.
Does it *really* matter than your clean soap smell from the brush is somewhat adulterated for a short time? Given the sheer joy of using a dense and well-made brush, especially breaking in a new one to the arsenal, I don't see any issue.
But of course, each man to his own.

Last edited:
Have you ever used a horse brush? It's stinks horribly and I would never put a brand new wet one near my face. To each their own as you said. I see no reason to say de funking a brush is wrong. It's hair. It can take more than 5 minutes of water, ad is evidenced by all the pigs badgers and horses that are not bald....

Oddly enough when I began traditional shaving, I had no idea that getting the funk out would be simple, so I had just kept using the brush til the smell dissipated on its own. Great this thread is here so now I won't have to deal with the stench of a new brush for very long.

I recently received a Chubby 2 in best. I followed the process as above like I do with any brush purchase. On its initial rinse with dish soap brown water came out of the knot, obviously indicating there was some residual dirt leftover from the manufacturing process.

I for one don't want to be rubbing dirty crap laden hair all over my face rather than simply following a quick process like the above. Anyone saying they think this thread is pointless/stupid etc really doesn't have to read it then....?

I recently received a Chubby 2 in best. I followed the process as above like I do with any brush purchase. On its initial rinse with dish soap brown water came out of the knot, obviously indicating there was some residual dirt leftover from the manufacturing process.

I for one don't want to be rubbing dirty crap laden hair all over my face rather than simply following a quick process like the above. Anyone saying they think this thread is pointless/stupid etc really doesn't have to read it then....?

There is really nothing wrong with doing a couple of test/bowl lathers to remove the dirt from the brush before it touches your face. I am 100% with you on that as I have had plenty of brushes with brown water.

However, I don't think it is in the best interest of the brush to soak it in anything besides water or lather for longer than, let's say 15 minutes at most.

I don't disagree with the purpose of this thread, some brushes are simply intolerable, but I do disagree with the methods. If it works for you, and it doesn't destroy your brush, then more power to you. But the last thing I am going to do to one of my $200+ brushes is let it sit in any chemical overnight.

$10 boar brush? Fine, if it breaks, it breaks.

I wish I had seen this thread, months ago, when I bought my Vie Long horse hair brush. Major funk, for a few weeks. It didn't bother me when shaving, but it did smell like a horse stall, when no lather was on it, and if it was wet. That said, the brush was worth putting up with the funk.

Call me weird, but I don't understand this obsession with getting the "funk" out.
Do you own a dog, or have you ever been near one when it's wet? If so, you're faced with that funk every time its pelt gets wet.
Whether you have or you have not, it's a thoroughly natural smell. Not particularly nice, but not odious either.

After shaving i want to have a dry towel and not a wet one because will smell
That's why when a towel gets too much wet i move it aside and get a new one from the closet.
According to your thought the wet towel (that i use before some minutes for other cause) smells natural because was from my face
Should i put it again and again 4-5 times on my face per day?
* If you want to see if you need or not the "de-funk" work get a new cheap Mixed badger brush from China
Put it under water,rinse it and then make a face lather.
Your face will stink for hours !

I have several brushes of all types....boar, horse, and badger....all I've ever done is lather them in one of my soaps when I first get them...I leave some lather on them for about 30 minutes and then rinse and repeat another one or two times....after this I've never had a brush that still had any major funk...YMMV

Just got the VDH badger brush and it had a very light funk, once I wet it, it got REALLY funky (like a goat at the county fair). Once I lathered it up with the VDH soap it smelled like a cigar wrapper funk....I love this stuff!!!:thumbup:

Also, a badger had to die for me to have a great shave, the least I can do is put up with its funk for a few days!

Last edited:
Top Bottom