What's new

Faint taste of Badger

I used my B&B Finest for the second time today (it's great) and afterward I had a faint taste of Badger in my mouth. How was it, you ask? The answer is: not too pleasant. It lingered for a while but then I had some gum and forgot about it.

-----Michael

Michael,

Most new brushes will still have a bit of "badger" about them. Normally, the smell is what you react to. But in a "frenzy", you may get a bit of lather in your mouth. Give the brush a good shampoo. It may take a time or too, but that "taste" will disappear!

Randy

I wonder if soaking the brush in one of those pet odor removers like Natures Miracle overnight will work to reduce the badger scent (and taste) more quickly. They are supposed to be very gentle and work well on furniture, carpet, and clothes as well as fur so they should be very safe to use on a brush. I know some of them are supposed to be fairly good for even strong odors like skunk. Follow that up with a good shampooing before use. I pick my finest horn tomorrow...if it is smelly (and if I have the courage) maybe I'll give it a try and report back.

My Proraso Omega brush smelled HORRID when i first got it.

I whipped up some Proraso shaving cream into a nice lather, let the brush sit for 5 minutes, rinsed it out and the brush smells like Proraso cream now, no hint of the bad boar smell.

I wonder if soaking the brush in one of those pet odor removers like Natures Miracle overnight will work to reduce the badger scent (and taste) more quickly. They are supposed to be very gentle and work well on furniture, carpet, and clothes as well as fur so they should be very safe to use on a brush. I know some of them are supposed to be fairly good for even strong odors like skunk. Follow that up with a good shampooing before use. I pick my finest horn tomorrow...if it is smelly (and if I have the courage) maybe I'll give it a try and report back.

Natures Miracle has a high alcohol content which would probably not be good for the glue holding the knot, handle and brush together. Just soak it in a 20 Mule Team Borax and water solution a time or two. Then continue to make lather with the brush for practice or for real and the badger scent will be gone very quickly.

Natures Miracle has a high alcohol content which would probably not be good for the glue holding the knot, handle and brush together. Just soak it in a 20 Mule Team Borax and water solution a time or two. Then continue to make lather with the brush for practice or for real and the badger scent will be gone very quickly.

Thanks, I picked up the 20 Mule Team Borax and am soaking the brush now. I'll skip the pet odor eliminators altogether.

Unfortunately I broke in a new Badger brush recently and simultaneously used AOS Lavender for the first time. The brush smell is gone, but each time I used the cream I think I smell the wet badger.

I can't enjoy what I'm told is a wonderful scent. :sad:

Wilkinson shave soap (in the blue container) wiped out the smell of badger completely in my new badger brush.

Now it makes me wonder what it's doing to my skin. :blink:

I always chew on my brushes, so this is normal for me.

But I've found the best way to de-funk a new brush is repeated thorough washings with shampoo and at night load the brush up with conditioner and a bit of water and let it sit overnight.

Unfortunately I broke in a new Badger brush recently and simultaneously used AOS Lavender for the first time. The brush smell is gone, but each time I used the cream I think I smell the wet badger.

I can't enjoy what I'm told is a wonderful scent. :sad:

Don't despair - I hate Lavender scent in anything I have tried - shave soap, KMF cream, Castle Forbes cream... What you've been told by someone else reflects his personal taste. Yours doesn't have to be the same.

Cheers
Ivo

Top Bottom