What's new

Old Spice Original?

While at a local grocery store a few weeks ago I found two bottles of Old Spice Cologne in the glass bottle with the grey stopper. It came in a red box, not the metallic maroon box the new stuff comes in. Is this the "original original" that I hear people talk about? It has P&G on the box, not Shulton. There were only two boxes of it left so I snatched up both of them. I love the scent!

Any reccomendations for an Old-Spice type scent that's still around? I have Mama Bear's Aged Spice cologne. I like it, but it smells a bit too powdery for my taste after a few hours.

Is this the "original original" that I hear people talk about? It has P&G on the box, not Shulton.

Nope... Sorry it's not the old original. P&G bought out Shulton then changed the formula, but if you like the scent go with it! :)
From what I've heard Family Dollar stores sell a knock off of OS that's supposed to be very close to the old original. NOS Old Spice turns up on Ebay, but be prepared to plunk down a premium for it.

While at a local grocery store a few weeks ago I found two bottles of Old Spice Cologne in the glass bottle with the grey stopper. It came in a red box, not the metallic maroon box the new stuff comes in. Is this the "original original" that I hear people talk about? It has P&G on the box, not Shulton. There were only two boxes of it left so I snatched up both of them. I love the scent!

If the box is shiny, it's the reformulated stuff. The red boxes connected with the original Old Spice were phased out in the late 1990s, have Shulton's trademark on them.

Nope... Sorry it's not the old original. P&G bought out Shulton then changed the formula, but if you like the scent go with it! :)
From what I've heard Family Dollar stores sell a knock off of OS that's supposed to be very close to the old original. NOS Old Spice turns up on Ebay, but be prepared to plunk down a premium for it.

Wait a second, it's my understanding that the reformulation of Old Spice happened only after the switch to plastic bottles. As I understand it, any Old Spice in the glass bottles is the original Shulton formula??? :tongue_sm

Also, the knock off Old Spice sold by Family Dollar is really good stuff. The company that makes it is called Vi-John, and for the $2 selling price, you really can't go wrong. However, Vi-John makes only the Aftershave, I have not seen, or heard of them making the cologne.

I have some P&G glass bottle stuff with the stupid yacht on the bottle that smells like Shulton OS to my nose.

I have some P&G glass bottle stuff with the stupid yacht on the bottle that smells like Shulton OS to my nose.

I thought the same thing. I've got the plastic bottle stuff as well, and I thought the stuff in the glass bottle smelled differently. I wondered if there was an actual differnence, or if it was my mind playing tricks on me because I wanted it to smell different.

+1 on that knock off--you can get it at cvs, dollar stores, etc. just check the bottom to see if it's made by Vi-Jon. It's close--not quite Shulton, but close as you'll get. (Unless, of course, that find is indeed the Shulton recipe.)

I'm also interested in finding a half way decent "Old Spice Cologne" Knock off. Sure the Phoenix Labs's AS is great for $1, but so far I know of no substitute for the cologne.

I've not tried it, nor have I seen a review. I have enough vintage stuff to last quite awhile, but I'm tempted to give it a whirl.

There was a member who got some of the fragrance oil that I think that most of the "Shulton Clones" are based on. He was going to make up some soaps, and IIRC, was also going to try and gin up a cologne.

Can't recall the name, but it was in one of the Van Der Spice threads, I think.

ClubmanRob, no slouch when it came to such knowledge, once posted that the P&G stuff in glass was essentially the same as the later Shulton product, but we should remember that Shulton reformulated at least once, when Saccharin got a lot of bad press in the 70's.

I'm no ClubmanRob in knowledge and I certainly am nowhere near the collector that texquill is, so take what I'm posting as what it is: My memory of what was posted before.

I have her soap which smells more spicy to me compared to the P&G OS cologne/as.

That's how most people describe the difference between the "Shulton formula" cologne and the "P&G plastic bottle" cologne.

The Shulton is deeper and spicier, the new stuff is more powdery and floral.

BTW, despite being a vintage OS admirer, I don't dislike the P&G stuff, and it dries down to a less powdery and floral scent.

Well, I don't dislike it beyond the fact it displaced the Shulton scent.:mad3:

What about the stuff from india that people claim is the original shulton formula? I just ordered some of this from the shave den store.....hoping.

What about the stuff from india that people claim is the original shulton formula? I just ordered some of this from the shave den store.....hoping.

Let me know what you think. I've been tempted by that stuff, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it.

I've tried the shaving cream. The scent is "Shultonian", very close. I can't say it's a dead ringer, but it's close.

Ok, so the Shulton India old spice came in today. Also, I've been reading so much about the vi-jonn family dollar spice that I picked it up as well.

My old spice background.....This is all my dad ever wore growing up, so I smelled it on him every day until I moved out of his house. Also, I owned the stuff growing up and wore it when I wore anything at all.

Ok, so now to the review........

I'm setting up a scale of 1-10. 10 being the old spice I remember.

Old spice P&G - I give a 7.5. I get that this is very similar to what I remember, but there is some extra spice and kick that just isn't in the volume of the old stuff upon whiffation. I think of this as a modern rendition of the original.

Old Spice India Shulton - I give an 8.5 The spice is stronger in this one. Smells like the right stuff, just seems less kick than I remember old spice having.....but, it is closer than the the P&G. Obviously. Think Old old spice, mild.

Vi Jonn Spice (ivy club) family dollar - When this first comes out of the bottle there was something in the back, way off that I wasn't sure about......but after it was spread on the skin.....I gotta give this stuff a 9.
Seriously. This is the closest of the 3. Though that first hint of something far off was not in the old spice I remember, but the spice and kick are of equal footing to the original.

Anyway, there is no 10 here though. 7.5, 8.5, and 9. And that's a first impression. Perhaps in time my opinion will evolve, but I kind of feel pretty solid about this review.

I'll post a pic later of the 3 bottles side by side so everyone can see specifics.

I am glad I can buy the Shulton "8.5" rated in a glass bottle locally here in India. Did you notice it is pretty strong and stays on you through the day. I can distinctly smell it on me after 6-8 hours !!

Ok, so the Shulton India old spice came in today. Also, I've been reading so much about the vi-jonn family dollar spice that I picked it up as well.

My old spice background.....This is all my dad ever wore growing up, so I smelled it on him every day until I moved out of his house. Also, I owned the stuff growing up and wore it when I wore anything at all.

Ok, so now to the review........

I'm setting up a scale of 1-10. 10 being the old spice I remember.

Old spice P&G - I give a 7.5. I get that this is very similar to what I remember, but there is some extra spice and kick that just isn't in the volume of the old stuff upon whiffation. I think of this as a modern rendition of the original.

Old Spice India Shulton - I give an 8.5 The spice is stronger in this one. Smells like the right stuff, just seems less kick than I remember old spice having.....but, it is closer than the the P&G. Obviously. Think Old old spice, mild.

Vi Jonn Spice (ivy club) family dollar - When this first comes out of the bottle there was something in the back, way off that I wasn't sure about......but after it was spread on the skin.....I gotta give this stuff a 9.
Seriously. This is the closest of the 3. Though that first hint of something far off was not in the old spice I remember, but the spice and kick are of equal footing to the original.

Anyway, there is no 10 here though. 7.5, 8.5, and 9. And that's a first impression. Perhaps in time my opinion will evolve, but I kind of feel pretty solid about this review.

I'll post a pic later of the 3 bottles side by side so everyone can see specifics.

Top Bottom