What's new

affordable place to get REALLY vintage watches fixed?

i have a vintage driving watch from the early 1900s i need fixed (new flywheel and a really good cleaning). im not paying $400 for this. (hopefully) any suggestions?

:sad:

i have a vintage driving watch from the early 1900s i need fixed (new flywheel and a really good cleaning). im not paying $400 for this. (hopefully) any suggestions?

:sad:

I am not one of the watch wizards of the forum but I befriended a watchmaker a few years ago and that has been a big help to me.

One of the things I learned was it takes a long time for even an experienced person to properly clean and service a watch without considering parts. Certainly, it takes a few hours to do the job.

So what do you charge, in your business for six to eight hours of work?

If it's not a popular brand getting the part if it needs it could be very difficult. You basically need a parts watch to get what you need since they don't make the part anymore. I would search the web for someone who specializes in vintage stuff and call him.

I am not one of the watch wizards of the forum but I befriended a watchmaker a few years ago and that has been a big help to me.

One of the things I learned was it takes a long time for even an experienced person to properly clean and service a watch without considering parts. Certainly, it takes a few hours to do the job.

So what do you charge, in your business for six to eight hours of work?

i was looking for help. not a smart *** remark.

im well aware its a time consuming, incredibly precise process. i was just wondering if it could be done somewhere for less than the $400 i was quoted for.

Dave, I'm not sure that was a smart.ss answer but a true response. It took me nearly a year to find my watchmaker. I went to a few repair shops that did poor jobs in servicing and repair. I learned that some of these shops outsourced their work to other shops and took their repair jobs and added a tidy markup.

Cleaning and oiling is a different price from overhauls. Overhauls will more than likely be quite expensive. I would call around and find out what shops charge for overhauls. Make sure you ask them whether these jobs are done in-house or outsourced. Avoid shops that outsource.

Dave, I'm not sure that was a smart.ss answer but a true response. It took me nearly a year to find my watchmaker. I went to a few repair shops that did poor jobs in servicing and repair. I learned that some of these shops outsourced their work to other shops and took their repair jobs and added a tidy markup.

Cleaning and oiling is a different price from overhauls. Overhauls will more than likely be quite expensive. I would call around and find out what shops charge for overhauls. Make sure you ask them whether these jobs are done in-house or outsourced. Avoid shops that outsource.

if it wasnt then i sincerely apologize. it just seemed a little defensive to me.

thanks for the advice. ill look into it :001_smile

I've seen watch shops take a mvmt out and soak it in cleaner, dry it, apply some oil and that's a cleaning which is alot of rubbish. To properly clean a mechanical watch you have to completely dissasemble it including removing the jewels and then clean each part and then reassemble and lubricate. In the old days with pocketwatches they used to replace the mainspring too but they don't do that anymore with wristwatches. Most places consider an overhaul the minimum routine service. My watch guy will look at a watch and if he thinks it's in pretty good shape sometimes apply a bit of lube to a pivot here and there and he's usually correct in his actions.

I've seen watch shops take a mvmt out and soak it in cleaner, dry it, apply some oil and that's a cleaning which is alot of rubbish. To properly clean a mechanical watch you have to completely dissasemble it including removing the jewels and then clean each part and then reassemble and lubricate. In the old days with pocketwatches they used to replace the mainspring too but they don't do that anymore with wristwatches. Most places consider an overhaul the minimum routine service. My watch guy will look at a watch and if he thinks it's in pretty good shape sometimes apply a bit of lube to a pivot here and there and he's usually correct in his actions.

Pretty much nailed it on the head.

There are good shops and there are hack-houses. There's quite a bit of work to do the job properly. It's actually what I do for a living. We replace all the mainsprings, it's just insurance for us, since they do break.

There are lots of shops that out-source. We have to since were currently running 6-8 wks. If we didn't, it would be months.

Depending on the brand and how important the watch is to you, it may not be worth fixing. You get what you pay for, so it's up for you to decide.

Recently found a "Jeweler's Exchange" building in downtown San Diego. A big building with a ton of jewelers, watchmakers, etc. They all work out of a small room and do mainly wholesale work (repairs for the mall jewelry stores, etc). Nice thing is, they're cheap (no mark up) and the guys working them are for the most part old, experienced and awesome. If you can find something like that by you, I highly recommend it.

Ben

I doubt you will find a better watch repair service that this one. I will admit I have never sent any of my watches to them, but I have heard multiple accounts of their excellent service.

Mr. Irving, it was not my intention to give you an abrupt response. I was only making a point that many of us would find the average watchmaker's income to be less than what we might want. I apologize if that is not how my message was received.

About fifteen years ago I made a casual complaint to one of my employees about what it was costing me to get an older but nice watch repaired. He informed me that his father-in-law was a watchmaker who did work for independent jewellers and had, in the past done the same for department stores.

I thought that the jewellers sent the watches to elves in Switzerland for the necessary repairs! The next time I needed a something I took my watch to this local "elf".

This guy worked hard. He was at his bench six days a week, had to pay for health insurance for his family as well as the double social security tax. And he took care of his family, paid for a house and put two kids through college. The income he earned from his trade was not nearly enough but he supplemented it by buying selective watches from pawn dealers with whom he had relationships and that was just enough to help out.

He is retired now and I found out that, in his best year, he didn't earn $50k. He still tinkers with watches for friends but can barely see and his hands shake far too much. The last time I was over he was on his hands and knees on the floor looking for a screw which I spotted right away. I only wish I would have taken the time to sit with him and learn some things.

I have no idea if his income is typical. My guess is, if we take a watch into the local jeweller, the mark-up is significant.

I've found there are few who will even work on watches and even fewer who do a great job. This is a prime example of getting what you pay for.

This is to say, if you are quoted $400 to disassemble, clean and reassemble a watch that is almost 100 years old, and the person is skilled, I'd say that could be a fair price.

Top Bottom