What's new

" Taking The Redness Out "

Has anyone come across an aftershave that will really take the red out after a shave and not make your face shiny?

It can be an astringent, lotion, balm, or anything that isn't sticky, oily, or that is too alcohol based to dry your skin out.

I have used alot including Proraso, Tryphon, Anherb, and the Nivea over the counter cooling lotions. I am not against menthol cooling at all if it takes the redness out. Appreciate your help!

I use Dickinson's witch hazel most of the time. Balms and lotions don't do much for me and I prefer AS splashes if I go that route. Aqua Velva Ice Sport has the mildest and most fleeting scent of all the cheap aftershaves and contains a lot of skin goodies. It won't interfere if you use a cologne.

I've found this product very good if I get bumps or have a particularly rough shave. It's also very cooling. The scent will interfere with a cologne, though I find it ok on its own.

http://well.ca/products/bump-eraser-after-shave-conditioner_7378.html

- Peter

Have you considered applying it to a wet face..?? Maybe look at the Speick Splash! Great stuff with amazing ingredients!

The Gent's Refinery has been doing a surprising job of removing red. I used it to moisturize so that was a bonus. It's a winning product overall, so a buy would not be a loss.

For me, Ginger's Garden Lime/Yuzu makes the red disappear. Every time. Works like a charm. It finishes dry and not sticky which is awesome for aloe based stuff.

Thank you all for your replies...looks like I have quite a bit of reading and studying to do before I try at least two of these products and maybe more. I always like to try products that are new to me. Thanks again!

After a rougher than desired shave, I head for the witch hazel and a balm/milk. Musgo Real makes a nice balm and SCS offers great milks.

As far as the "shine" you might want to give some Pinaud Talc a shot. Take an old piece of cloth (flannel is great) and lay it flat. Sprinkle a bit of talc, fold into quarters and pat on face. Works like a charm with props to Bro. John for the suggestion.

+1 but in a different scent for me. The SCS splashes and milks are superb. Of the splashes I like the Mediterranean Citrus best. The Lime milk is really nice.

With all due respect guys, if the gent is having trouble with redness an alcohol splash is only going to inflame the area. I have tried all these and they do not take away redness on me. As a matter of fact the Citrus burns like a mutha. The SCS milk may have properties to help redness, but they do a poor job. Pitralon may be an exception sometimes.

Some things ymmv, but not inflamation.

Some AS have ingredients that are supposed to help, but simply don't. I have a ****pile that do nothing in this regard.

Best one i have used (stuck with it for 5 years now) is Zirh soothe.....its very light and if you use a little witch hazel before you massage some in, you'll notice your face will be an even tone and not shiney.

With all due respect guys, if the gent is having trouble with redness an alcohol splash is only going to inflame the area. I have tried all these and they do not take away redness on me. As a matter of fact the Citrus burns like a mutha. The SCS milk may have properties to help redness, but they do a poor job. Pitralon may be an exception sometimes.

Some things ymmv, but not inflamation.

Some AS have ingredients that are supposed to help, but simply don't. I have a ****pile that do nothing in this regard.

It is not the alcohol that quenches the inflammation, but there are many alcohol based splashes that calm the redness a great deal. Some of them do this exceptionally well for a great many people. For me Floid Blue and Classic Pitralon calm burn and eliminate redness ALL the time. Others that do so very well are Speick, Swiss Pitralon and CADE. Now if you have a sensitivity to alcohol based splashes this will not work, but at that point you should not be looking at them anyway. He asked for suggestions to calm redness and these do work.

Last edited:
It is not the alcohol that quenches the inflammation, but there are many alcohol based splashes that calm the redness a great deal. Some of them do this exceptionally well for a great many people. For me Floid Blue and Classic Pitralon calm burn and eliminate redness ALL the time. Others that do so very well are Speick, Swiss Pitralon and CADE. Now if you have a sensitivity to alcohol based splashes this will not work, but at that point you should not be looking at them anyway. He asked for suggestions to calm redness and these do work.

I suppose we must react differently to different products.

That is oh so true. I think if we didn't then this whole hobby would go bust. The endless searching and buying and trying and selling and.... I digress:001_rolle

That is oh so true. I think if we didn't then this whole hobby would go bust. The endless searching and buying and trying and selling and.... I digress:001_rolle

I appreciate your post tweedcab as I do all the others. I'm in the process of digesting all of the posts and then buying a few of the products mentioned and adding them to my rotation. Sort of trial by error. Thanks again!

Top Bottom