What's new

Old Type v. British Tech

I know that these razors don't really compare as "like for like", but I thought I'd share some figures so folk can compare them. (I realise I've probably got too much time on my hands :lol:).

I'm comparing a 102A Old Type with ball-end handle and a British Tech with aluminium handle. The Tech was my first "real" DE (after a Wilkinson Classic that was just to test the water).

I've tried the Old Type a couple of times but (IMHO) I do find it slightly too aggressive (probably more a technique issue). Whilst the Tech was a nice gentle introduction, but when I use it for touch ups after using a Flare Tip Super Speed it feels a bit "flimsy". As an experiment I swapped the handles to compare them.

Here's the "tale of the scales":

British Tech 30g (Handle 12g Head 18g)

Old Type 50g (Handle 25g Head 25g)

Tech w. Ball-end 43g

Old Type w. Alu. 37g

I'm not sure how much of the end result is subjective (due to both razors being a bit more "average"), but I personally like them both and now have 2 great razors! :001_smile

Peter,
It sounds like you are more susceptible to pressure when you shave. That's the only explanation I would think the different weight makes. The other experiment you can make is to put the ball end back on the Old Type and shave with much less pressure than normal and see how the shave is. Of course if you're happy now why bother.

Len

Top Bottom