What's new

Star Tech

What is your star Tech razor? Post pics of your best/favorite/most beloved Tech razor and tell us why it’s the star.
Right now my star Tech is the humble travel version. I ended up with 5 techs rather quickly, but as I compared them, the feel of this one while shaving won out. I’ve got a couple other handles for it but honestly this ball end shorty works great. Never imagined that this version of the Tech would be my go to. I guess it’s just the most logical. Happy New Year! Live long and prosper!

IMG_4556.jpeg
IMG_4544.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha! But is it your YOUR star Tech and if so, why?
American Safety Razor introduced the Star/PAL 100 in 1946 to compete directly with the Gillette Tech. It sold well and is regarded by some heretics as actually a better razor than the Tech.

It was on the market till the late 1950's, although in the UK it may have been made under the PAL brand until the early 60's.

Here is a thread for owners of these lovely little razors that is worth a read.

Star 100 Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-100-owners-club.637736/

It's just slightly unfortunate that you picked the word Star to talk about the Tech in the thread title. Two real competitors!

lasta

Blade Biter
My star Tech is this one, a WWII era English service issue flat bottom Tech, but matched with an early US pre-war cap.

The early US caps are thinner and have rounded interiors that mates with the curved inside of the English Tech perfectly.

This is not only my "star Tech" but my favourite razor of all time.

20231224_103850.jpg

Last edited:
American Safety Razor introduced the Star/PAL 100 in 1946 to compete directly with the Gillette Tech. It sold well and is regarded by some heretics as actually a better razor than the Tech.

It was on the market till the late 1950's, although in the UK it may have been made under the PAL brand until the early 60's.

Star 100 Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-100-owners-club.637736/

It's just slightly unfortunate that you picked the word Star to talk about the Tech in the thread title. Two real competitors!
It’s not slightly unfortunate. It’s provocative! It gets the people going!

My star Tech is this one, a WWII era English service issue flat bottom Tech, but matched with an early US pre-war cap.

The early US caps are thinner and have rounded interiors that mates with the curved inside of the English Tech perfectly.

This is not only my "star Tech" but my favourite razor of all time.

View attachment 1773428
Cool that you pieced together your favorite razor! What handle is that?

Alum Ladd, what's your favorite Tech razor?

lasta

Blade Biter
Cool that you pieced together your favorite razor! What handle is that?
Thanks Gurdy!

This really is a pieced-together Frankenrazor.

The handle was custom made, inspired by the original Gillette Fat Handle but with the neck tweaked for higher contrast.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php

The Merkur Future was bought as my Star Trek razor, because just look at it, does that not scream Star Trek or what? But while I do appreciate heavy razors, that one is a bit too heavy. The head is to big to get under the nose whiskers effectively.

proxy.php

The handle has no knurling, it's far too smooth, and will lose grip, when it gives you the slip. But it is an efficient razor when set at number 4 or higher, with a sharp blade in it, and it will sing you a tune, as the whiskers find themselves on a slip and slide off your face and down the drain.

But I have since replaced it with a new Star Trek razor, one that shaves far better, and built far better..............

1704148610070.png

Presenting the Blackland Osprey Adjustable razor. This razor can be crazy mild, nicely moderate, or crazy efficient, depending on where you set it. I've used Wizamets in it, and it is the smoothest shaving razor I own.

proxy.php

Unlike the Future that is made out of plated over zamic, which already is showing tiny bits of rust inside the head mechanism, even though I've let it dry apart after every shave. The Osprey is made out of 304 stainless steel, and has no rust. It has the perfect amount of weight, and the overall weight distribution is quite solid

1704148724481.png

The internal warp core powers the razor to 1.21 gigawatts, so that it can flux phase in and out of space time, to eradicate the whiskers without them knowing it's there. Nope, not really! It's just a removable brass insert that both balances the weight, and makes it look cool.

Razor feels great in the hand, it's easy to use, easy to clean, and provides me the best shaves. Made by a company who cares about it's customers, not only about their own bottom line. Behold, for I bring you the latest in Star Trek tech, the Blackland Osprey!

proxy.php

I think it deserves a little bubble bath and tooth shining, but beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that!
Im back and forth between admiring pristine nickel plating and patina’d brass. Both beautiful in their own way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom