What's new

My Guess... 3017

I picked up a Plisson synthetic at L'Occitane today. I kept reading about how well liked it is and decided to try it. I've never used a synthetic so I figured "why not?"

I left the brush very wet and whipped up an awesome lather on my puck of Haslinger Aloe Vera. It actually surprised me with how well this brush lathered. The Plisson is also the softest brush I've ever used. I tend to prefer a bit of scrub but I must say I enjoyed the face feel. I use more painting motion than circles and this brush really nailed it.

After reading this thread, I have been on a silent quest to 3017 my MWF.

After at least two months, I'm starting to think this soap will simply not die. I'm talking 3 pass shaves daily. While a dent is evident, there must be 2/3-1/2 of the puck left... I'm beginning to think its regenerating while I sleep, which is ok, because it is wonderful stuff, but honestly Mitchell, I've got other soaps to try!

Re: The plisson brush, I handled one today at l'occitane, and was impressed with how soft it was! If my wife hadn't retrieved me, I would have bought it.

After at least two months, I'm starting to think this soap will simply not die. I'm talking 3 pass shaves daily. While a dent is evident, there must be 2/3-1/2 of the puck left... I'm beginning to think its regenerating while I sleep, which is ok, because it is wonderful stuff, but honestly Mitchell, I've got other soaps to try!

Re: The plisson brush, I handled one today at l'occitane, and was impressed with how soft it was! If my wife hadn't retrieved me, I would have bought it.

I think we have all felt that way when we were 3017'ing a hard puck of soap when we first started out. It seems like the soaps start to go faster once you get a nice dent in the center.

I think we have all felt that way when we were 3017'ing a hard puck of soap when we first started out. It seems like the soaps start to go faster once you get a nice dent in the center.

I was going to say the same thing. I've noticed (or imagined...) that as the hard pucks start to dish, they disappear at an increasing rate. The big hump to get over is putting the dent in the middle.

Soft and floppy...but I was really impressed with the lather. I imagine this brush whips up a cream faster than just about any brush.

I was going to say the same thing. I've noticed (or imagined...) that as the hard pucks start to dish, they disappear at an increasing rate. The big hump to get over is putting the dent in the middle.

A few people have tracked usage as they go, I don't recall exactly who though. When I check my usage after the first week, then second, then third...it slowly starts to go up. Once water starts hydrating the puck, it starts to use soap quicker.

So you have to think, if it's 1g after the first week, then averaging 1.5g total after the second week...the usage is going up quite fast to give the overall average a much higher number.

My first couple weeks is always 1-1.5g lower after the first few weeks then it will be when I take my final numbers after it's over.

I finished the VDH Deluxe Yesterday with just a little chunk left that I'll use as a Pre-shave soap to finish it off.

VDH Deluxe 12/09 - 12/30 with 14 shaves already on it for a total of 33 shaves.

Today I'm taking a break 3017 and I'll be using my new Maca Root cream (xmas gift) for 2 weeks.

A few people have tracked usage as they go, I don't recall exactly who though. When I check my usage after the first week, then second, then third...it slowly starts to go up. Once water starts hydrating the puck, it starts to use soap quicker.

So you have to think, if it's 1g after the first week, then averaging 1.5g total after the second week...the usage is going up quite fast to give the overall average a much higher number.

My first couple weeks is always 1-1.5g lower after the first few weeks then it will be when I take my final numbers after it's over.

I noticed it with my pucks of DR Harris. Once dimpled, it seemed to go faster and faster.

Maca Root is actually disappearing quicker than I thought. Might not see mid January like I expected.

I ended up ordering a food scale so I could accurately measure usage. Should be interesting.

TOBS Sandalwood for a couple of shaves, then I start a non-sample product on 1/1.

Who here is starting a new product for 2015?

Maca Root is actually disappearing quicker than I thought. Might not see mid January like I expected.

How is it in the tub? I started my wetshaving journey with a couple of tubes, but was unimpressed with it once I started using other products. May pick up a tub on the cheap and if they have the sale after 1/1 (it's currently $9.60/tub).

Last edited:
It's a good cream. Not quite on par with say TOBS in terms of lather quality, but not far behind. Similar to Proraso in performance, IMO. The scent is a little boring, maybe a touch too medicinal or herbal. There's a lot of product in the jar, and it's been fairly soft cream throughout. I've been using a lot of product, close to 3 grams per shave.

Not sure I would replace again, but not ruling it out. Maybe next time I would go with the tube because using the same thing for 2+ months is kind of boring.

It's a good cream. Not quite on par with say TOBS in terms of lather quality, but not far behind. Similar to Proraso in performance, IMO. The scent is a little boring, maybe a touch too medicinal or herbal. There's a lot of product in the jar, and it's been fairly soft cream throughout. I've been using a lot of product, close to 3 grams per shave.

Not sure I would replace again, but not ruling it out. Maybe next time I would go with the tube because using the same thing for 2+ months is kind of boring.

The ingredient list is the same between tub and tube, but I'd wonder if there are any differences with lathering the two.

Tubes are $6 right now if people are interested (not sure how long that will last). However, the prices I quoted appear to be online only (online sale).

Chugging along with my Razorocktober. It really is a great soap, as are all RR products I've tried. I'm finding that it likes boar brushes best, my B&B Essential and Semogue 620 generate phenomenal lathers with it. I'm apprx 30 shaves into it and am estimating another 15-20 shaves before it's gone. My puck of Mike's only lasted around 40 shaves so I'm surprised it's lasting so long.

I've got some 3017ing to do :w00t:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1419880437517.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1419880437517.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom