What's new

My Guess... 3017

Up next. A new one for me. Haslinger Honig. My expectations are high. I will leave this puck whole and unmolested, pressed into the center of a Captains Choice lather bowl where it will remain uncovered.

Is that the regular size bowl? Are you planning to lather in there as well or just load it?

I haven't tried a big size mismatch between the puck and the jar, but every puck I've tried ended up spreading out to fill the entire jar. Would be interesting to try a small puck like Haslinger in a large jar.

Looking at my stash, after the Proraso I have several shave sticks that need to be used. La Toja will probably be the next one, grated into my dish.

I've been playing the field and sampling from the fatboy pass around box since finishing Nancy Boy Signature scented cream. It reminded a lot of KMF but the NB wasn't as slick. NB was possibly creamier but not noticeably different. With KMF being slicker, available locally and much cheaper I won't reorder the NB. I'll miss the random bowl sniffs, though. Mint added some complexity to the lavender scent which grew on my senses after the initial blast of peppermint wore down.

I pulled out some Saint Charles Shave pucks to work on next. It started with a sample freebie of Bay Rum to dial in the lather. It has a nice manly Old Spice smell to my nose. No cloying note was detected as in some other Bay Rum scented products. The test lather was great, both slick and protective from a nice creamy texture. However, the first shave was less than pleasant due to some face burning. My face was fine after rinsing, so I chalked that up to the cinnamon that (I thought) I smelled after face lathering. Due to previous reactions to cinnamon the remainder of the sample went to my son for testing.

Over the weekend I traveled with a stick of Palmolive. Great shower shaves and better than my previous Palmolive uses. True BBS shaves and great face softness, just a little odd face feel. I skipped after shave treatment to test the soap properties.

Back home to SCS with two shaves on the "Refined" scent. The lather was just as slick, cushioning and creamy as the Bay Rum sample and initially things looked good. The shave was close with the same slick and protective lather. I noticed a little irritation (much less than Bay Rum) that quit after rinsing. The pucks were very slick and soft, unlike other soaps that I had used. They almost had a liquid or gooey surface as they slid around the containers. Then it hit me, they likely contained glycerin. Confirmed by the tub, it's second on the ingredients list. I've suspected some irritation to glycerine after trying some face wash soaps and preshave products. Some testing is in order. I'm really hoping that it is a fluke since the SCS performance works for me. :mad3:

Is that the regular size bowl? Are you planning to lather in there as well or just load it?

I haven't tried a big size mismatch between the puck and the jar, but every puck I've tried ended up spreading out to fill the entire jar. Would be interesting to try a small puck like Haslinger in a large jar.

Looking at my stash, after the Proraso I have several shave sticks that need to be used. La Toja will probably be the next one, grated into my dish.

Its the regular sized bowl. I will still face lather, just using it for loading. The last puck I used an OS mug and grew tired of brush clank. Typically I use an Ikea container for Haslinger which is only slightly larger than the puck. Not sure what to expect with this set up. I'll keep you posted.

I am currently 3017'ing a puck of QCS Queen Charlotte. I am interested in your thoughts if possible.

I'm only five shaves into a sample of Fougère but I have tried the following samples before:
Cayman, cream & soap (a wooden bowl I have still smells like Cayman! Talk about lingering scent!)
Green Irish Tweed
Vostok
Iced Key Lime
The samples were good enough for me to order a few pucks.

I also 3017'ed a puck of Vostok last year, I wrote about that here.
I'm not good at describing scents or properties, I only know what works for me or not.
The short version: It's not Tabac...
I had the same issues with lathering as before, but then I remembered reading about lathering on top of the puck. I tried that, and it worked really well. Using my SOC boar, well soaked, I got twice as much lather as I needed. The consistency of the lather reminds me of the ones I get from soft Italian soaps. A bit drier maybe. It certainly dried after a while. One of my tests for soaps is shaving right jawline XTG, one of my trouble spots, and QCS passed. So that, and the post-shave feel, makes QCS a keeper for now. I still have four more samples and three full pucks of QCS left. I have a few kilos of other soaps to go through before I get to the QCS pucks though...

Financial analyst here. When I started 3017 (very recently) I new I would need a spreadsheet. Mine tracks many different things, and also forecasts when I think the soap will be done.

I also log which razor, brush, and blade every day. There is a pivot table that parses the data In a number of different ways. I started to track blade usage in the same way.

Right now I do not have a scale. So I need to get one so I can track min/max loading figures.

I've now log what you all say your grams/shave or shaves/puck. I use this to create averages for each soap "type" and then apply those to my soap start/end date forecasts.

I love shaving - almost as much as I love geeky excel models.

Last edited:
Absolutely burning through Proraso Blue. 21g used in six shaves. I suppose I could put a little less on the brush before lathering. But what's the fun in that? Lathers are very good, shaves are good but not great. A bit more tugging than I'd like.

I'm only five shaves into a sample of Fougère but I have tried the following samples before:
Cayman, cream & soap (a wooden bowl I have still smells like Cayman! Talk about lingering scent!)
Green Irish Tweed
Vostok
Iced Key Lime
The samples were good enough for me to order a few pucks.

I also 3017'ed a puck of Vostok last year, I wrote about that here.
I'm not good at describing scents or properties, I only know what works for me or not.
The short version: It's not Tabac...
I had the same issues with lathering as before, but then I remembered reading about lathering on top of the puck. I tried that, and it worked really well. Using my SOC boar, well soaked, I got twice as much lather as I needed. The consistency of the lather reminds me of the ones I get from soft Italian soaps. A bit drier maybe. It certainly dried after a while. One of my tests for soaps is shaving right jawline XTG, one of my trouble spots, and QCS passed. So that, and the post-shave feel, makes QCS a keeper for now. I still have four more samples and three full pucks of QCS left. I have a few kilos of other soaps to go through before I get to the QCS pucks though...

Andreas - Thank you for the reply!

The first couple of shaves with QCS were just OK. I then tried the universal fix for all shaving shortcomings - I loaded more product. Shaves were better but not at the "special" level. I then weighed my puck and I found that I averaged only .3 grams per shave through first 10 uses! The puck took on some water weight but that still sounds too low. I am sure that I am "starving" my brushes and will need to load for more than a minute.

Sorry for posting that out of the blue. I had a few bowls I wasn't going to use and offered them...
No No, I totally missed the post about the bowls.

I was thinking the 3017 Dish was offered up in the CONT CORNER and all gone. But I guess you would have missed that too, if I had been on a PC where I can see badges. :laugh:

The DR Harris shaves have been great, but I needed to get out the door quickly this morning. Used my secondary soap (Haslinger Honig) with a fresh wizamet polsilver and had the best shave in about two weeks. Best part was that most everything was done blind since the mirror was completely fogged for the duration. Forgot AS, but my skin feels great and faintly smells of the perfect Honig scent.

I believe that you use Tapatalk? I use Chrome in desktop mode and can see the badges.
No No, I totally missed the post about the bowls.

I was thinking the 3017 Dish was offered up in the CONT CORNER and all gone. But I guess you would have missed that too, if I had been on a PC where I can see badges. :laugh:

One Violet shave left. Then on to T&H Ultimate Comfort...
Not much more to say about Violet. Not a top tier soap. Expecting similar performance from T&H.

Finished up Barrister and Mann Lavanille today. This was a nice scented high performing soap. Probably will not replace but would not hesitate to use or recommend B&M. Up next is either Mystic Water Irish Traveler or Savon d barbe (vetyver).

Barrister and Mann Lavanille Saving Soap 6/18/16
Institut Karité 4/25/16 tub and stick 50/50
RazoRock Son of Zeus 11/6/2015
Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper - Tin - 10/16/2015
Martin de Candre Fourgue - 1 oz sample 4/9/2015
Martin de Candre - 1 oz sample 3/6/2015
L'Occitane Cade 1/29/2015
RazoRock The Freedberg 10/8/2014
Haslinger Ringelblumen (Stick) 7/2/2014
Art of Shaving Lavender (75%, Stick, Tallow) 4/24/2014
La Toja Stick - Travel shave stick 2/7/2014
RazoRock Chianti Lavender (Stick) 2/4/2014
Mystic Water Coconut (85%, Stick) 12/5/2013
Pre de Provence (60%, Stick) 11/2/2013
P160 Tipo Duro (~60 gm stick) 7/24/2013
DR Harris Arlington (Full puck as a Stick) 5/13/2013
Muhle Sea Buckthorn (Stick) 12/2/2012
Provence Sante Green Tea (Stick) 8/6/2012
Gold Dachs Rivivage 5/23/2012
Ralph Lauren Safari 3/14/2012
Mama Bear Dublin Tweed 12/4/2011
Van der Hagen Glycerin 11/2011
Cella 11/2011
Honeybee Clean for Men 6/2011
Honeybee Bay Rum 3/2011
Honeybee Ye Olde Barbershop 1/2011

The Haslinger Honig has been great so far. Decided to use Proraso green today for a change and got some equally good lather. I've finished off my bottle of Brut 'Oceans' and am now using Speick splash. The Speick is some fabulous stuff and pairs nicely with the Honig.

Two sticks of Palmolive are done. Excellent performance; if I lived somewhere where Palmolive was cheap and readily available, I'd see no need to use anything else.

Up next: about a third of a puck of DR Harris Almond, one of my favorite soaps. I am in a particularly sweet spot in my 3017 campaign right now.

Top Bottom