What's new

My Guess... 3017

Despite my troubles with it in that thread, I did end up dialing it in, getting great shaves. Having tinkered with several soaps that don't measure up to Cade since then, my view of it has changed. In fact, I bought another puck of it in the summer.

Just started DE shaving about a month ago and I already feel like I have to start 3017ing due to my early onset SSAD. Lol. Going to start with the VDH 2.5oz white puck that came with my starter kit. Let's see how long it lasts.

If you love soaps and creams, or have SSAD/SCAD, the idea of 3017 is scary. I am already going crazy over what my next choice will be. At least I have narrowed it down to a soap, because I have enough of each so I can alternate between soaps and creams. But what soap? WHICH ONE? I can't decide!!!!! lol

If you love soaps and creams, or have SSAD/SCAD, the idea of 3017 is scary. I am already going crazy over what my next choice will be. At least I have narrowed it down to a soap, because I have enough of each so I can alternate between soaps and creams. But what soap? WHICH ONE? I can't decide!!!!! lol

One soap at a time. One shave at a time. You don't try to consume the elephant in one sitting, do you? :biggrin1:

Just choose one that pulls you the most and start.

I finally transferred my Spieck to a bowl. This is the longest by far that I had kept a stick soap in stick form (about a month). But, the stick was getting small and I wanted to see what the soap would do when loaded from a soap dish.

The lather is very good. Scent is pretty much gone, and aftershave feel good. Not sure why I didn't notice it before, kind of funny to me that I didn't, but my first thought after smooshing the stick into a bowl was "wow, this soap is pink?":lol:

You could always make a list and plan ahead. I think I am scheduled in for at least the next year or year + half and have been on schedule for a long time now. That way you can look at all the soaps and create some sort of planned order. Then, you get to look forward to the next soap rather than worry about the upcoming decision....

Edit: (this is not for the 3017 light crowd... or those who boast complete saneness of mind...)

Last edited:
I absolutely love this thread and will probably be following suit very soon.
3017ing is one of the best Wet Shaving moves I ever made.

Definetly helps control spending as you don't need 18 soaps in a drawer if you don't rotate. Not to mention, makes dialing in lather easier. Then you can shave on cruise control and rotate your brush and razor if you choose.

Last edited:
Been doing TABACtober, and strongly considering turning that into a 3017. Given how soft it's gotten, I don't know if it will make it through November (I could be totally wrong, though, and end up using it until February!)

Been doing TABACtober, and strongly considering turning that into a 3017. Given how soft it's gotten, I don't know if it will make it through November (I could be totally wrong, though, and end up using it until February!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm gonna go all 3017 on the whole setup.

I happen to be on the last brush in my regular rotation right now, so when I finish the SCS Pumpkin (won't be too long!), I'm going to pick a razor, a blade type, a soap, and a brush, and go. Same setup at least until I finish that soap off.

I'm thinking i'm going to follow the SCS Pumpkin with I Coloniali Mango. I know I'll use my HD Rocket, and Super Iridium blades. The brush is going to be the toughest one to settle on.

@beeranon

I've been 3017ing my AS and PRE products for a long time. It helps to use them up too and allows for greater consistency in what to expect from the shave.

I still rotate my brush, but even my razor has found a constant in the RR Stealth V1 with the odd time I switch it up for fun or curiosity.

I've found out my face cannot handle Razorock CC Bay Rum. Had a burning sensation and my skin steadily got worse over five days. Halfway through the puck in 12 days though. Felt good to be killing soap that quickly.

Anyways, back to my Razorock KOTC Lime. Should take 2 or 3 months I'm thinking.

Yeah for some reason I get mild burning on CC bay rum too but my 10 other RazoRock soaps don't do that. I don't know what it is I had Chianti lavender do the same thing toward the end.

Anyways I'm almost finished with Mudder focker. I'm guessing maybe 6 more shaves left.

I broke through the bottom of the Strop Shoppe Lemon Eucalyptus Saturday. I'm guessing a week, maybe a week and a half left. Time to start deciding what's next. I was going to make 2014 an all artisan soap year but I've got 3/4 a puck of Tabac left and I'm thinking that might be fun - I love the stuff and the weather is finally cool. Any thoughts?

Finished my tub of AOS lemon cream late last week, and moved on to a sample of Tiki Fougere. Not sure if it's vegan or tallow. The AOS cream is a good performer, though somewhat pricey.

Remaining Inventory

Cream Tubs
AOS Sandalwood
Al's Saigon

Cream Tubes
Musgo Real (nearly empty)
2x CO Bigelow travel (1 new, 1 nearly empty)
CO Bigelow full size (nearly empty)
5x Nivea Mild (new)
WARS
Speick

Soaps
Valobra Almond
Omega
Colonel Conk Lime (nearly empty)
QED Pine and Cedarwood
QED Patchouli, Tea Tree, and Peppermint
Honeybee Lavender, Rosemary, and Peppermint
Honeybee Lime
Honeybee Bergamot
Honeybee Rosewood and Cedar
L'occitane Cade
Pre De Provence
Tabac
D.R. Harris Arlington
Razorock One X
Razorock Freedberg
Razorock Nonno Michelino
Strop Shoppe Date Night SE
Strop Shoppe Baker Street SE
Strop Shoppe Alpine Frost LE
Barrister and Mann Tre Citta Tangerine & Ylang Ylang (partial)
Barrister and Mann Ferox
Tiki Citrus Mint Blast
Barrister and Mann Lavanille (sample)
Tiki Fougere (sample)
Queen Charlotte Soaps Key Lime (sample)
Razorock Mudder Focker old formulation (sample)
Razorock Mudder Focker new formulation (sample)
Strop Shoppe London Morning (sample)
Mama Bear's Lime (sample)​

Completed products

06112014 - 07242014 - TOBS Rose Cream (partial)
07252014 - 09092014 - Body Shop Cream original formula (partial)
09102014 - 09162014 - Catie's Bubbles LPV (sample)
09172014 - 10092014 - AOS Lemon Cream (partial)​

At Bat

10102014 - ? - Tiki Fougere (sample)​

On Deck

AOS Sandalwood (partial)​

Last edited:
I'm a newbie to this (< 1 month) but have already started 3017ing! Is there a 12-step program available to stop the madness? Started off with all Proraso white products (pre, soap, and balm) and I like them very much. But why stop there? This weekend I went a little crazy at italianbarber.com and bought a "few" things:

PRE
1 x 3P Shave Cream 100g (3P Shave Cream 100g)
1 x RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel (rrprebarba60)

Soaps & Creams
1 x RazoRock &#8220;Razorocktober 2014&#8221; Italian Shaving Soap
1 x RazoRock Classic Italian Shaving Soap 125ml - New Formula
1 x P.160 Special Shaving Soap, by RazoRock
1 x RazoRock Don Marco Shaving Soap
1 x RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap
1 x RazoRock Fresco Shaving Cream Soap 150ml
1 x Cella Shave Cream 150g

AFTER
1 x RazoRock Evil Eye Lime Aftershave Wax
1 x RazoRock &#8220;Problem Solver&#8221; Lime Aftershave SplasH
1 x RazoRock 60g Alum Stick